Microphone volume discovery

sfpx

Jul 29, 2011
2-3 days ago I tested the microphone on an A500 with the latest updates.
The volume was very very low.

Today I bought one and the first thing I did was to test the microphone.
No firmware update or Android update.
The microphone volume was perfectly fine.

I then updated the firmware and Android to 3.1
Tested the microphone and it was as low as the other tablet.

So it looks like the problem is not material but software.
It's either the Acer firmware or the 3.1 Android update that screwed the mic's volume.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Have you reported this to Acer?
It wont get fixed unless you do.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Its a good idea to complain to acer, but it probably wont get fixed until 3.2. Acer is not alone in this, all devices running 3.1 are reporting lack of mic volume controls.

This used to be set via some regular text files, and was user adjustable. This was causing lots of problems as one application would turn up mic volume, and another would turn it down. So Android put it into kernel space, out of the user's hands.

It was up to the manufacturer to set the mic volume for any given hardware.

That being said, CSipSimple can still manipulate mic volume in advanced settings mode, but they might be doing it in the post processing as your voice is sent over the network to the other end. If you don't turn on software volume control, adjustments to mic volume make no difference, but once you do set this, CSipSimple is able to manipulate the mice volume.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Its a good idea to complain to acer, but it probably wont get fixed until 3.2. Acer is not alone in this, all devices running 3.1 are reporting lack of mic volume controls.

This used to be set via some regular text files, and was user adjustable. This was causing lots of problems as one application would turn up mic volume, and another would turn it down. So Android put it into kernel space, out of the user's hands.

It was up to the manufacturer to set the mic volume for any given hardware.

That being said, CSipSimple can still manipulate mic volume in advanced settings mode, but they might be doing it in the post processing as your voice is sent over the network to the other end. If you don't turn on software volume control, adjustments to mic volume make no difference, but once you do set this, CSipSimple is able to manipulate the mice volume.

This, I did not know. Interesting.

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
Im using 3.2 and the volume is crazy low on the MIC. Talking Tom doesnt hear my kids unless they are screaming and then not even then. Please someone fix this

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Im using 3.2 and the volume is crazy low on the MIC. Talking Tom doesnt hear my kids unless they are screaming and then not even then. Please someone fix this

You would need to contact Acer about this. People here cannot fix this issue.

Tubaman

Aug 27, 2011
Since we're talking about the microphone, can anyone tell me where the mic is located on our A500?

SupahDroid

Mar 21, 2011
cant we just re enable user controls by some sort of modifcation eg kernel firmware or what not or even make an app that is able to run and allow us to change the volume if some software still has the ability to adjust the volume it means the task is possible

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
cant we just re enable user controls by some sort of modifcation eg kernel firmware or what not or even make an app that is able to run and allow us to change the volume if some software still has the ability to adjust the volume it means the task is possible
The problem is the noise cancellation for the mic. If you use earplugs you will find the mic volume is fine. What is happening is the mic is adjusting itself to prevent feedback where the sound from the speakers is being fed again into the mic with the new sound of your voice.

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
I've found two ways to by-passes the low volume/gain on the mic (avoiding feedback because the speakers are too close).

1. Using a cheap set of earphones with mic like the ones for my old iPod Touch.
2. Just today, I tried a simple real old set of non-amplified stereo speakers and that too gave the desired results.

So now I have a choice whether I want to share it all or to keep the sound to myself.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Excellent Idea K9CHP! Similar to what I tried. I'm just using ipod earplugs from PHILLIPS and this works great and the mic has no problems.

pominnz

Dec 16, 2011
I contacted Acer and they tell me that there will be an OTA update in late December or January to fix this issue. I'm hoping December so that I can use it to skype my family during Christmas.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've found two ways to by-passes the low volume/gain on the mic (avoiding feedback because the speakers are too close).

1. Using a cheap set of earphones with mic like the ones for my old iPod Touch.
2. Just today, I tried a simple real old set of non-amplified stereo speakers and that too gave the desired results.

So now I have a choice whether I want to share it all or to keep the sound to myself.

I'm confused. The problem isn't with the speakers, its with the mic.
How does adding speakers affect the the mic sensitivity?

castafiore

Dec 17, 2011
I've made a test last night. I took off the back cover (easy to do on this tablet) and tried to tape my voice. The result was exactly as bad as with the cover on.
So I believe this issue of low volume with the microphone can be fixed in modifying the codes of the ROM.
Surprinsingly, looking on Internet, I see that no developper has tried such a modification yet...

I don't understand how a big company like Acer dares to deliver a tablet with such a failure in its ROM. It's impossible to use Google navigator and Google search by voice recognition, impossible to hear the sound when filming a movie.
I wonder: Do they only test their tablets before sending them to their retailers? :confused:

Last edited: