Microsoft Office for Android Revealed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Microsoft Office for Android Revealed

Microsoft's Office for iPad, iPhone, and Android is a reality. Although Office Mobile has been rumored and reportedly spotted in the wild, Microsoft has remained persistently quiet about its plans for the product. The Verge has learned through several sources close to Microsoft's plans that the company will release Office versions for Android and iOS in early 2013

iosoffice_560.jpg

Microsoft will allow iOS users to purchase an Office 365 subscription within the app, or let organizations distribute codes to enable Office Mobile editing for users. The apps will allow for basic editing, but we're told this won't go very far in attempting to replace regular full use of a desktop Office version.

It's real and it's coming to iOS first

A recent Microsoft press release from the company's Czech Republic subsidiary revealed that Office Mobile apps for Android and iOS would be made available from March 2013. We understand that Office Mobile for iOS will arrive first in late February or early March, with an Android version due in May.

We reached out to Microsoft for comment on this story and a company spokesperson says "Office will work across Windows Phone, iOS and Android.

As originally posted by Astrix over at Note2Forum.com!

maxxg

Oct 5, 2012
Yes just found this over at PC world, sounds very interesting! :)

However they also say:
That date gibes with earlier Internet reports on Office apps. Last month, a Microsoft product manager in the Czech Republic revealed a March 2013 release date for iOS and Android versions of Office apps; however, Microsoft issued a statement saying that wasn’t accurate.

This photo from The Daily claims to show Microsoft Office running on an iPad. Rumors about and iOS version of Office have been bouncing around the Internet for months. In February, for example, The Daily published a photo purported to be mobile Office running on an iPad. Microsoft denied the authenticity of that photo, too.
Later in the year, a number of reports predicted that Microsoft would take the wraps off a mobile Office product this month, possibly at its SharePoint conference scheduled for next week in Las Vegas.
Since SharePoint is an enterprise product, the reasoning goes, Microsoft would positioning mobile Office as an enterprise product, rather than a consumer one. If Microsoft is using a subscription model for the app, as The Verge reports, that may indeed be how Redmond is looking at the offering.
Microsoft already offers its OneNote app for Android and iOS, but that’s limited primarily to note-taking. For reading and editing Office documents, Android and iOS users have to turn to third-party apps such as QuickOffice and Documents To Go among others.

I'm glad to see it's in the thoughts of those up there and I would imagine it would need to be a real compact version ( limited version) for application purposes.

Guess We need to wait a see! but does sound promising though!

regards,
Maxx

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I read this article earlier and the keys parts to note it are:

On first launch, a Microsoft account will provide access to the basic viewing functionality in the apps. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel documents will all be supported, and edit functionality can be enabled with an Office 365 subscription.

and

Microsoft will allow iOS users to purchase an Office 365 subscription within the app, or let organizations distribute codes to enable Office Mobile editing for users. The apps will allow for basic editing, but we're told this won't go very far in attempting to replace regular full use of a desktop Office version.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm disappointed. I had heard from a Microsoft rep it would be out this month, but that was at least 2 months ago so something may have slipped.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Office on Surface Tablets exclusively, at least for the present, is a big selling point and helps Microsoft move their hardware. You really can't blame them, but as nice a piece of hardware as the Surface seems to be they will always be a software company and shouldn't miss opportunity.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

maxxg

Oct 5, 2012
Well never the less, I found this android app that looks promissing "OliveOffice Premium Free"

[h=2]Description[/h]OliveOfficePremium is a software suite for Android devices that enables you to view and edit Microsoft Word(doc/docx),
Excel(xls/xlsx) and PowerPoint(ppt/pptx) files.
In addition,it inherits the function of viewing portable document file(pdf) and compiled help manual(chm) from
OliveOfficeBasic,released previously.
Our product can be downloaded and used completely free of charge.
More features will be revealed in later versions.
If you only want to view the files,please download "OliveOfficeBasic" version which is optimzed for viewing.
For any questions about this software,please send email to [email protected].
We are very pleased to accept your feedback and suggestion at any timeOlive DOC:
*Create,open and edit Microsoft Word documents
*View and edit rich text formatting:bold,italics,underline,font size
*Select a text range to edit
*View images and tables
*Edit texts in tables
*Zoom in/out
*Save documents with Save/SaveAs
*Copy, cut and paste text
*File support:.DOC and .DOCX
Olive XLS:
*Create,open and edit Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
*Edit single cell contents
*Select multiple cell ranges for formatting:bold,italics,underline,fontsize and cell background color
*Navigate between worksheets inside a single spreadsheet
*Easily change formula inputs and dynamically recalculate
*View images
*Add and delete one column/row
*Zoom in/out
*Save spreadsheets with Save/SaveAs
*Copy, cut and paste single cell content
*File support:.XLS and .XLSX
Olive PPT:
*Create,open PowerPoint presentations and edit slide text content
*View presentations:images,autoshapes and rich text formatting:bold,italics,underline,font size
*Easily navigate slides with Previous/Next
*Save presentations with Save/SaveAs
*File support:.PPT and .PPTX
Olive PDF:
*Open PDF files
*Quick navigation with Go To Page
*Zoom in/out
Olive CHM:
*Open CHM files
*Follow hyperlinks
Olive MHT:
*Open MHT files
Language Support:
Localized in English,French,Korean,Chinese,Japanese,Deutsch

read more here: works on my VIZIO, but I need to check it out more. feed back later
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.olivephone.edit

regards,
Maxx