MID 7024 Teardown

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Oddly enough, I flashed a A816 rom and now I cant get rid of it hahahah, oh dear. Hahaha with no sd card even >_>..

Last edited:

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Looking closer at the A816 system board and I don't think its part of the utv210 family after all. Any luck flashing C8 on top?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Looks almost identical to the generic 7-inch S5PV210 Dropad tablet with the Urbetter PCB. Looks like the same mainboard PCB too. Urbetter is boasting resistive platforms based on this PCB. You should be able to figure out how to make custom flashable firmware on this based on the information here. There is a chance that who is technically inclined may be able to dump the firmware from their device and recreate a working flashable firmware based on this information.

Look at this teardown of that device. Here is another video:

Last edited by a moderator:

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
We could pull the system files with ADB but turning it into a flashable ROM is beyond me without a lot of reading. By the time I figured that out Coby probably release a bug fix :)

Mud, Anything working for you? Were you able to turn off the setup feature? I believe I found it in the /system/ of the board archive in the C8 FW.

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
I have had to take a break working on it because I am moving from my apartment into a house.

When I was last working on it, I couldn't get it to stay on for longer then about 5 minutes. I also couldn't get rid of the recovery from the A816 even with the internal memory removed.

tileg

May 6, 2011
I was trying some things last night and bricked mine also. It boots up, Shows the COBY logo, goes black brings back up the COBY logo, waits about 15 seconds then shuts off.
When I opened it found that the SDCard is in a captive socket. Slide the cover away from the edge of the board and it opens right up. The socket was covered in tape.
When looking at it under Linux, there are three partitions on the card one is 108 Meg, with a "Recovery" directory on it (mine was empty), another is 528 Meg this has the apps that have been downloaded and other data and then the big partition is 3.1G. This is visible on a windows box so it s probably FAT32.
By twisting the unit some cracks appear near the corners that make it possible to open without using a screwdriver.

Asure

Aug 18, 2010
Tileg: Can you check the 108m partition if it has busybox on it? (instead of /system/bin stuff linked to toolbox?)
(You should be able to see it in init.rc as well exported..)

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
I was trying some things last night and bricked mine also. It boots up, Shows the COBY logo, goes black brings back up the COBY logo, waits about 15 seconds then shuts off.
When I opened it found that the SDCard is in a captive socket. Slide the cover away from the edge of the board and it opens right up. The socket was covered in tape.
When looking at it under Linux, there are three partitions on the card one is 108 Meg, with a "Recovery" directory on it (mine was empty), another is 528 Meg this has the apps that have been downloaded and other data and then the big partition is 3.1G. This is visible on a windows box so it s probably FAT32.
By twisting the unit some cracks appear near the corners that make it possible to open without using a screwdriver.

Can you tell us how you bricked your tablet? Did you try taking out the external SD card and booting with home + power? These things seem a bit sensitive to say the least. Knowing what you did may prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

tileg

May 6, 2011
I had tried to run Rom Manager to create a recovery ROM -- I don't remember which build I attempted to use. I had the device rooted with su working. then last night I tried to log in and I no longer had root access. So I would avoid using ROM Manager

Asure

Aug 18, 2010
There is really no need to keep doing this: There is no way recovery will support the board soon. It's running ubifs with ext4 on top of mtd/nand combo with SD card for /data and /cache. People will end up killing boards unless Coby releases just one simple flashable rom to work around this.

tileg

May 6, 2011
Can some one get me the dump of /var/log/dmesg from ADB? Just want to see what information there is in it. Starting to look at how to recover a brick.

criscroc

Jul 19, 2011
Oh, I've managed to brick my 7024 yesterday as well. I've been unable to restore it the way it should be restored (or, at least, the way we think it should be restored)... it seems that the Power+Home combination is worthless to restore the system.

All in all, I could get it working again by following zentsang's instructions found here. Of course, it didn't came back as if nothing had happened. The camera does not work anymore, there's 2 volume icons that won't go away on the top bar, and there are come applications that are relatively useless on a 7024, but other than that, I'm happy to have it working again.

By reading the posts here, I've been wondering if there aren't anyone around here who's brave enough to pry open their 7024 and fairly proficient on linux to make a full dump of their internal SD card using dd... but then I've read that the system on the 7024 is stored on a separate nand, unrelated to that internal SD card.

Well, I've probably wrote a lot of nonsense just now, so I apologise for that.