MID1042, Rooted, No Launcher/Desktop, help needed

TheDwarf

May 8, 2013
Hello,

I am a bitter man having a problem that you might be able to solve. So i am requesting your help.

THE ERROR:
I rooted a MID1042. Now the launcher won't start anymore, the software home-shaped button does not work nor does the silver-hardware button react. --> i got no desktop anymore. The rest of the tablet works fine, i can enter the Settings, it connects to w-lan and it even installs update through the playstore. However i am not able to open any apps without a desktop.

The Tab shows the initial start screen when started. It says: "Welcome to MID1042 .. Touch the android to begin" by clicking the android another window appears saying "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped." by clicking that the Welcome Screen appears again...

Picture Welcome Screen
Picture Fail-Screen

THE STORYLINE:
I rooted the Tablet using the instructions below. ( Thanks to Texlaws for the nice Tut!)
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...1042-rooted-google-play-store-v3-10-10-a.html

In the middle of it i made a mistake by copying all the files into the /system/app folder instead of only the "vending.apk"
so i replaced in mistake:
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
OneTimeIntitializer.apk
SetupWizard.apk
Superuser.apk (well, added not replaced)

After following the rest of the instructions correctly i was able to install the playstore and i could even install apps through it. Sadly after restarting it the error above showed up.
-Immediately tried to restore the Tablet using the Stock recovery mode via the settings
-Nothing changed

In addition to that i found the recover instructions from vampirefo.
Link: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

- I took the latest recovery and flashed it trough the stock recovery
- nothing changed

I somehow get acces to the playstore occasionally when it updates an app. If so i am able to open apps from the playstore.

A GUESS:
The Setupwizard.apk may be corrupted and has to be replaced ?
Sadly i cant open the ESfilemanager or got the original setupwizard.apk

I really hope someone there can help me!

Greetings from Germany

TheDwarf

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The question to be asked here is, "why did you not root using the tools available in the sticky posts in Generation 3 Development?"

I hope you made a system dump at the very least before attempting to root, preferably a nandroid backup. You'll need them to fix your issue.

TheDwarf

May 8, 2013
Hi traveller thank you for your response,

i sadly made no backup before the root attempt.
To be honest i haven't seen your post. Was googling for a way to root a tablet and found the mentioned instructions which sounded doable for me
so i took a shot. Do you think there might be a way to sustain the W-Lan ability by rescuing the w-lan data right now and flash to lets say this Alien-rom?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you have ClockworkMod installed there may be a solution available for you. I'll provide additional details when I'm at my PC.

EDIT: Based upon what you have said here in the thread as well as looking at the root process you used, your main issue is the accidental replacement of the files. At this point I'd be telling you to restore from your backup but as you note, you don't have one. However, I just created a flashable zip that may work to resolve your issue. I say "may" because it's not tested. What the zip should do, if its updater script is properly written, is delete all files in /system/app on the tablet and replace them with a set of files pulled from Prodina's 1042 dump. This will completely wipe out the Play Store as well as Superuser, thus returning you essentially to stock without Google apps. From this point, if you follow the instructions and use the tools given here, not only will you be properly rooted, but will also have a working Play Store. From that point, you can work on improving the Play Store's compatibility.

I am assuming that ClockworkMod is properly installed on this tablet, but if it isn't, you want to install it following the instructions I give in my sticky posts in Generation 3 Development. Once it's installed, create a nandroid backup of the ROM in its current state. This way, if something does go wrong you can restore the backup and try again.

1. Download this file and copy it to the root of the MicroSD card.
  2. Enter ClockworkMod.
  3. Select "Update from Zip".
  4. On the next screen that appears, select the option to choose which zip file to use.
  5. Navigate to the zip file you downloaded earlier and select it.
  6. Let ClockworkMod do its thing.
  7. When done flashing, reboot the tablet.

Last edited: