MID7036-4 With Google Play Store - Additional App Help

Sir_Lagsalot

Dec 12, 2012
So I recently purchased a Coby Kyros MID7036-4 from Amazon, and I rooted and added Gapps using the instructions via Vampirefo. It worked without hindrance, but a lot of the apps I have are not compatible with the tablet... Thus, my next question comes up. I remember reading about using the key for a Nexus 7 to make a lot of the apps available... Is there anyone willing to give me more info/walk me through doing this? Or at least some instruction to start doing so? I tried googling for more help and instruction, but my search cam up dry.
I don't know if I'm searching for the wrong things or what, but I was hoping someone might be able to shed some kind of light on the subject. Thanks in advance!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My signature has tweaks for my tablet, which has a much larger screen. The tweaks are in two parts: XML files which are located in /etc/permissions and the build.prop. The XML files are universal but you need the build.prop. You'll need to pull your build.prop from your tablet. You should have it as part of the system dump you made before you rooted. Then you'll need to edit the build.prop using notepad++ so that its "fingerprint" looks like a Nexus 7. I can't tell you what to change in the build.prop as the build.prop I use was pulled from the Mobiz custom ROM for the 9742 and not edited.

*dons Moderator hat*
I moved your post to the proper forum for help questions.

Last edited:

Sir_Lagsalot

Dec 12, 2012
I see. But I do have a quick question... In your sig, you have the link there for Google Play Store tweaks. It says "The Google Play Compatibility tweaks should work for any Generation 3 tablet with Clockworkmod installed." Is this true? As long as I have CWM installed, I could possibly use this tweak on my 7036? Or is it something that has not yet been tested? So long as it doesn't hold the potential to flat-out brick my new toy, I'm willing to give it a shot. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I just reread your post, I understand now. Sorry!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2012
Hey gents - about to root my 7036 via vamps post - concern about system dump pre-root. Will this happen automatically during root process or is there a set of instructions to perform this pre-root process?

Appreciated

Sir_Lagsalot

Dec 12, 2012
Okay, so I took the dive and decided to try and alter my build.prop after much research. I edited the file to the Nexus 7 settings and whatnot, and the tablet itself says that it's a Nexus 7 in the "About Tablet" area, but the Google Play Store still shows no signs of change at all. I cleared the Store's data and cache from within the tablet and rebooted the tablet after editing the build.prop but still no luck. Any ideas?

Here's what I changed:

Coby MID7036

ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
ro.product.model=MID7036
ro.product.brand=Android
ro.product.name=full_m805_892x_evm
ro.product.manufacturer=COBY

---------------------------------
Nexus 7

ro.build.version.release=4.1.1
ro.product.model=Nexus 7
ro.product.brand=Google
ro.product.name=nakasi
ro.product.manufacturer=asus

EDIT: I should probably also note that the tablet itself doesn't appear to be behaving any differently than before the build.prop was edited, other than the "About Tablet" area showing the changes made. No brick, but also no fruits from the labor. Just... Nothing, lol.

Last edited:

Jaytunes

Dec 2, 2012
I've found a lot of unavailable apps on 4shared.com type the app name and add .apk at the end then download away!

Sir_Lagsalot

Dec 12, 2012
I've found a lot of unavailable apps on 4shared.com type the app name and add .apk at the end then download away!

I've also tried that route, but most of the apps that I'm looking for STILL won't work. Namely, I'm trying to get Order & Chaos Online to run on my Coby. It will install correctly, but when it opens it gives me an error that the app was not meant for this device. I'm at a loss.