MID8024 Official and Custom Roms thread. add your custom roms

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Do you happen to know the driver used for your tablet? It's the same one used in MID1024 (goodix_touch.ko)?

No. I don't know.

It seems that it is not the same driver.

I tried putting that file on the board file for the 8024 and checked that the ini file mentioned that file in the same exact way as the 1024 ini file did, and still it does not work. I think it's something that has to be triggered on the uboot.bin but I do not have the expertise to identify it.

What did you had in mind?

I installed the Nefarious ROM yesterday. All ok, except... yeah, you guessed it, the display. Still does not recognize any touch. I even inserted the goodix file where it is supposed to be, and checked that the ini file for the board had a string for that file, and still... nothing.

I should clear (this was wrong in my other post) that when using the 1024 ROM the display DID NOT respond to touches. It seemed that it did but I was wrong. I tried it again and now it's clear that it does not work. So... it seems that Coby ROM's that are meant for capacitive displays are not doing the trick.

:-(

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
No. I don't know.

It seems that it is not the same driver.

When you used 1024 firmware, the screen probably got the wrong resolution... Are you sure that the touchscreen didn't work?

Well, if even OFW 1024 didn't do the trick for your tablet then it seems that you will have to contact the manufacturer and ask for more info, or look for the same specs in another tablet, like the Romanian one used for the CFW for 8024, so all drivers will be working fine.

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
Hello,
I can install the rom "Nefarious-Bread-V1.0" on my coby kyros 8024?
Is there any better alternative(rom)?
It runs everything from the tablet?
As would be the procedure to install.
thanks and sorry for English.

Yes, Nefarious Bread is specifically for the 8024, as should any rom in this thread should be.

At this moment, I'm the only one that I know of that is developing a rom specifically for the 8024 but there might be others who just haven't announced it yet.

As far as it running everything on the tablet, yes, or at least everything I've tested so far. I've not tried HDMI yet as I don't have a cable for it, but if anyone else tests it and finds it not working, I'll make that next on the list. Right now I have found a few issues. The root from Steeve doesn't seem to play well with the newest version of ES file explorer ( I'm thinking the Superuser apk needs to be updated to the v3 but so far I don't know of anyone whos gotten it to work on our tablet). I've had a few apps freeze the tablet, but no harm was done, just had to turn the tablet off and back on again.

The way you install the rom, is click the link I placed in the earlier post, once it is downloaded, unzip the file and place everything into the root of your sd card and then place the SD card into the sd card slot. turn on the tablet and hold the Power and HOME button till it says "Upgrade system activated". you can then let go of the buttons. From there the install is automatic, be sure to let it run fully so that you don't brick your tablet. The tablet will automatically shut off when it is done. after that, turn it on as normal and you will have the Gingerbread based "Nefarious Bread" rom.

Also for those wondering, here is a todo list that I've got in the works so far

-Add root patch by Steeve (possibly add Browser key app by Steeve as well)
-remove bloat ware apps ( Builtin youtube app, emusic app, aply store, etc)
-make build.prop tweaks to reflect rom version and name
-possible theme/aesthetic changes.
-bug fixes

If any one has suggestions for the rom or any bugs/issues they've run into, please let me know and I'll try and work them into the todo list

Last edited:

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
When you used 1024 firmware, the screen probably got the wrong resolution... Are you sure that the touchscreen didn't work?

Well, if even OFW 1024 didn't do the trick for your tablet then it seems that you will have to contact the manufacturer and ask for more info, or look for the same specs in another tablet, like the Romanian one used for the CFW for 8024, so all drivers will be working fine.

The first time I used the 1024 ROM it seemed that the TScreen was working, but now that I used it again I am sure it did not this time at least. And I used exactly the same ROM, the OFW.

That Romanian one is for a capacitive tablet? DO you know where I can get that ROM?

Thank you in advance.

darupe

Jul 25, 2011
Thanks nefirim
put this rom this afternoon and see how it goes.

You could upload images.
To see how it looks.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks nefirim
put this rom this afternoon and see how it goes.

You could upload images.
To see how it looks.
Thank you very much.

Sure, I'll try to grab some screen caps when I can and do some benchmarking to show how fast it works so far.

I'm also considering adding the u-boot and mbr files from flxrms to overclock the rom to 1.2ghz and allow for bigger app space (1gb and 2gb partitions to install your apps on)

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Sure, I'll try to grab some screen caps when I can and do some benchmarking to show how fast it works so far.

I'm also considering adding the u-boot and mbr files from flxrms to overclock the rom to 1.2ghz and allow for bigger app space (1gb and 2gb partitions to install your apps on)

I believe that these rom is new 0906 release. Overclock uboot.bin started 0831 release. So it might be OC already.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
The first time I used the 1024 ROM it seemed that the TScreen was working, but now that I used it again I am sure it did not this time at least. And I used exactly the same ROM, the OFW.

That Romanian one is for a capacitive tablet? DO you know where I can get that ROM?

Thank you in advance.

The rom at slateroid (c8lean,evolution, genesis, Phoenix) can be used with capacitive tablet.

Oct 7, 2011
Heeello people, I've been following this thread for some time without a reg, today I decided to reg to chat with you guys!, I'm with a little problem on Nefarious Bread :/, I've already googled about the root by steeve, But I Really didn't find anything about it :/ I couldn't root my Kyros 8024 yet,even trying by ADB shell, it says that it can't mout :

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

The only method I didn't tried was this one by steeve, because I'm not understanding what you wanna mean :/

help me please \o/ Thank you all guys!

By the way, later I'll post how to get rid of the death blank screen on kyros, lots of people had killed their kyros with it!

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Heeello people, I've been following this thread for some time without a reg, today I decided to reg to chat with you guys!, I'm with a little problem on Nefarious Bread :/, I've already googled about the root by steeve, But I Really didn't find anything about it :/ I couldn't root my Kyros 8024 yet,even trying by ADB shell, it says that it can't mout :

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

The only method I didn't tried was this one by steeve, because I'm not understanding what you wanna mean :/

help me please \o/ Thank you all guys!

By the way, later I'll post how to get rid of the death blank screen on kyros, lots of people had killed their kyros with it!

Here is my post about rooting the ROM
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...hread-add-your-custom-roms-17.html#post136424

luckyc

Oct 7, 2011
Been lurking around and decided to say thanks to all for the Gingerbread. Any insight on disabling the browser, and search soft buttons?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
I believe that these rom is new 0906 release. Overclock uboot.bin started 0831 release. So it might be OC already.

Ran some benchmarks and it looks like currently it isn't OC'd. running at 998mhz. Got a score of 2901. I'll have some screen caps with the new test results once I have the new version up

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
The root from Steeve doesn't seem to play well with the newest version of ES file explorer ( I'm thinking the Superuser apk needs to be updated to the v3 but so far I don't know of anyone whos gotten it to work on our tablet)

I'm playing with the Alldro2 2.3 ROM (the one that jmv_10's ROM was based on) on my MID7024.

I got it rooted with the latest Superuser (3.0.2 at the time of this post).

I have tried a couple root apps: the latest ES File explorer and Titanium backup; they seem to work fine. The only problem is I can't really read the Superuser popup because it's too small to fit all the text. Might be related to my LCD density setting...

The attached zip contains su and Superuser.apk v3.0.2 and a modified utscript.sh to install them.
You're welcome to use it in your ROM if you want.

The utscript is also modified to create a 1.5GB data partition for apps, but I can undo that change if you want.

Attachments

• $alldro2_2.3_utscript.zip
    429 KB · Views: 372
Last edited: