MID8024 Official and Custom Roms thread. add your custom roms

krovan

Oct 12, 2011
Excellent work by all involved, my 8024 now feels like a viable device, rather than a sluggish ebook reader. I was wondering...I noticed the disable browser soft key app bundled inside, after attepting to install python and launch it I got a force close error, is there anything else I need to do to get this little gem to work?
Also the market is the old android market, I'm going to find a new version hopefully that won't cause some issues with this excellent ROM.

Thanks again for the hard work, it's a wonderful and easy to install release, and if anyone has issues trying to update, make sure you copy the contents of the folder to the sd card root, not the folder...took my bone head twenty minutes to figure that out.

Update, looks like the browser has an issue when loading the google homepage and force closes, not a deal breaker if using the searchbar widget.

Last edited:

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
Excellent work by all involved, my 8024 now feels like a viable device, rather than a sluggish ebook reader. I was wondering...I noticed the disable browser soft key app bundled inside, after attepting to install python and launch it I got a force close error, is there anything else I need to do to get this little gem to work?
Also the market is the old android market, I'm going to find a new version hopefully that won't cause some issues with this excellent ROM.

Thanks again for the hard work, it's a wonderful and easy to install release, and if anyone has issues trying to update, make sure you copy the contents of the folder to the sd card root, not the folder...took my bone head twenty minutes to figure that out.

Update, looks like the browser has an issue when loading the google homepage and force closes, not a deal breaker if using the searchbar widget.

Oddly, I've been running into the same issue with the browser key disable. I might have to ask Steeve about that, as it was his creation, I just included it in the rom. It will either force close or tell me that Python is not installed. I've been working on how to get it working myself, because the browser key is a pain >.> as far as the browser, thats interesting, its worked on every update I've made. I'd do a cache and data clear of the browser in the applications settings, it might help.

P.S it might be a permissions problem with the disable key app, like I've been having with building ES file explorer into the rom. still working on getting both figured out

Last edited:

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
So those of you who are currently using Nefarious Bread on your MID8024, I have a question. While getting some of the bugs worked out, I've been looking in to getting it themed. What would be preferred? a more Honeycomb centric theme or something with just more generally updated and better looking icons/taskbar/notifications etc?

Also just letting everyone know that I got an old laptop of mine up and running, so I am able to work on updates to the rom from home now, so hopefully updates will be more forthcoming

BROLZ

Apr 13, 2011
Well I finally was able to get this ROM up and running. Took me two days, two hard bricks and a lot of pepsi lol. For some reason my tablet would brick when installing the latest version. I had to install 1.0 and then 1.1. But all is good now.

Thank you :)

P.S. Nefirim, you should make your own thread for your rom. that way people won't need to be searching through pages for it. Just an idea :)

EDIT: Honeycomb all the way :)

Last edited:

rapha.mil

Oct 14, 2011
Hi Guys!

Just registered in this AndroidTablets.net to post my thanks and gratitude for the EXCELLENT work of NEFIRIM! Thank You so much!

I upgraded my MID8024 last night and what a wonderfull surprise! Gingerbread UP and RUNNING after so many time searching on Google, Forums, etc...!

I am in Brazil and all of us MID8024 owners have been searching for a Gingerbread ROM compatible with our amazing device since it's release and nothing until now!
Be sure I'll spread the word (and the ROM) for everyone here and they will all be extremelly greatfull! Thanks again man!

So far just tested the basics and everything seems to be working perfectly well except for the native browser (can't say I miss it thou... LOL:D).

I am amazed with the speed my device has achieved with this ROM (I thought it was slow because of the modest hardware) ... the WEB, the MENUS, the APP's ...everything now is almost the speed of light!!!

All I can realy say is thanks one last time and ask you NEFIRIM to the keep improving this great ROM more and more...be sure i'll keep visiting AndroidTablets.net daily!!!!! :D

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
@Brolz Were you upgrading from a 2.2 Froyo rom? I'm not sure why it would brick you from the v.1.1.1, but I'm glad you were able to get it running. and yeah, thats probably a good idea, this was thread was made because it looked like more people would be working on the roms for this tablet, but thus far I'm the only one. I'll go ahead and make a new thread for Nefarious-Bread when I have a new update. That so far is one vote for Honeycomb theme!

@rapha.mil Thanks so much! I really glad to hear that people are getting good use out of this rom and I'm doing my best to improve it. I have a lot of big plans for the rom, just unfortunately this is done in my spare time between work and moving. However, on the good side, I also now have my main computer up and running today, so I should be able to work even faster now. However I am curious as to whats been going on with the native browser? this is the second time I've heard someone having an issue with it, but I've always had it work for me.

BROLZ

Apr 13, 2011
@Brolz Were you upgrading from a 2.2 Froyo rom? I'm not sure why it would brick you from the v.1.1.1, but I'm glad you were able to get it running. and yeah, thats probably a good idea, this was thread was made because it looked like more people would be working on the roms for this tablet, but thus far I'm the only one. I'll go ahead and make a new thread for Nefarious-Bread when I have a new update. That so far is one vote for Honeycomb theme!

@rapha.mil Thanks so much! I really glad to hear that people are getting good use out of this rom and I'm doing my best to improve it. I have a lot of big plans for the rom, just unfortunately this is done in my spare time between work and moving. However, on the good side, I also now have my main computer up and running today, so I should be able to work even faster now. However I am curious as to whats been going on with the native browser? this is the second time I've heard someone having an issue with it, but I've always had it work for me.

Yea upgrading from froyo. yea I thought it was weird too. After the second brick I almost gave up but I said what the hell, Ill just try the 1.0 since everyone said it worked like a charm. And it did! Took my next risk to upgrade to 1.1. upgrade with no probs :)

One thing im getting though is a lot of force closes with stock browser and Dolphin (both HD and mini). opera works with no probs. Dont know if its just me though.

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
Again, very odd as I use both and each work perfectly

Sent from my MID8024 using Android Tablet Forum

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Oddly, I've been running into the same issue with the browser key disable. I might have to ask Steeve about that, as it was his creation, I just included it in the rom. It will either force close or tell me that Python is not installed. I've been working on how to get it working myself, because the browser key is a pain >.> as far as the browser, thats interesting, its worked on every update I've made. I'd do a cache and data clear of the browser in the applications settings, it might help.

P.S it might be a permissions problem with the disable key app, like I've been having with building ES file explorer into the rom. still working on getting both figured out

Which version of python are you using?

The browser key app seems to work best with the older python for android r4
PythonForAndroid_r4.apk - android-scripting - Py4A release 4 - Scripting Layer for Android brings scripting languages to Android. - Google Project Hosting

I get force closes with the newer python versions and I'm not sure why.
I'll look into it some more when I can.

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
Which version of python are you using?

The browser key app seems to work best with the older python for android r4
PythonForAndroid_r4.apk - android-scripting - Py4A release 4 - Scripting Layer for Android brings scripting languages to Android. - Google Project Hosting

I get force closes with the newer python versions and I'm not sure why.
I'll look into it some more when I can.

I know I'm using the apk you provided in your original thread. The version it shows is 4, but when it downloads the python archives. it downloads r16 and r14

Just checked the APK, and it is the R4 apk

thon

Oct 31, 2011
Please help i bought this enspert e201 and its froyo 2.2 is it possible to upgrade it to gingerbread or honeycomb?

Sent from my enspert_e201 using Android Tablet Forum

siryu24

Jun 4, 2012
Well thats what I use to do when I got white screen, but this is different. I press the power button and it won't stay on, so I have to hold it down to keep it going, but even then, only the soft button key lights turn on, stay on about 7 seconds then shut off again. I get no recovery menu, the LCD itself doesn't even turn on. I tried some of the tutorials posted about reviving from a "Hard" brick but even those have not helped.
Hello, I have the same problem that nobody knows how to fix it? Sorry for my English. thanks.

inspiron

Jul 21, 2012
hy. i have mid 8024. i download the nefrim custom rom, extract on a card. put the card in the tablet, start the tablet and i receive a message: can not find any update image. Press MENU/KEY_VOLUME_UP KEY to init SD card, Press BACK/KEY_VOLUMEDOWN key to cancel!

this is all. I can't instal this firmware on my tablet.

any help ?

the tablet is the model from here: FIRMWARE UPDATE | KYROS mid1024(ICS) - xda-developers . Post number 6, from istoica.

Last edited: