MID8125 Stuck on Setup Wizard Loop

Feckweed405

Oct 7, 2011
I have a MID8125 with Gingerbread. I followed the instructions on
(which are excellent btw) for installing Google apps without rooting. On the last step after restarting the unit I brainfarted and instead of choosing Launcher as default I chose the Setup Wizard and checked the “Use by default for this action.”
  • So if it boots I get the dialog box “The application Setup Wizard (process.com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.“ http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/tablets/2011/Acer/ICONIATab/ICONIATabA100/images/forceclose.jpg I have tried again about hundred times and it never goes past this screen.
  • If I re-set the unit it does the same thing as above.
  • If I re-set and hold down the HOME button (boot into recovery) I get the exclamation-Droid icon but cant get to any other menu to do a factory reset (tried the volume buttons, home button, menu button and back button with no luck). Is there a trick to doing a factory reset in recovery mode?
  • I cant get into the settings to change the default startup application.
  • I can get it to recognize the USB cable but since its not rooted so I cant use a program like Droid Explorer to tweak things, even if i knew how.
I put this onto the thread with installing market without rooting and have had some great suggestions, many listed above but unfortunately none that work. Do I need to re-load the firmware (ugh!) and if so, how to do that? I don’t think I can root because I cant get past the Setup Wizard dialog screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks SO much!

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Do you have adb?

You can try this:
Code:
adb uninstall com.android.setupwizard

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Do you have adb?

You can try this:
Code:

I hope USB debugging is enabled. If it is then follow Lfom's method. If not then follow this. When you get the Droid icon with! Let go of the silver button and then tap it again try this multiple times it will eventually get the menu to show up. If clockworkmod is available for your device then you might have to get that if nothing will work.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Feckweed405

Oct 7, 2011
Thanks, I will give that a try! When I connect the USB it doesn’t give me an option to turn USB debugging on and to my knowledge (its my son’s) he never turned on or off anything except WIFI.

UPDATE:(: looks like the debugging is NOT on - installed ADB on my computer and when I list devices adb lists none - UGH!! Any thoughts?!

Last edited:

Feckweed405

Oct 7, 2011
Do you have adb?

You can try this:
Code:

I set up adb, executed the command above and it just says “waiting for device.” I guess the USB debugging was never turned on (had it all of 2 hr before this happened). Ugh!!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Then I think you will have to do a factory reset... I don't know how to do it on 8125, try to follow trickbiker's advice or look for a thread about 7022 and ClockWorkMod.

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I just read if you go in fastboot mode then you can use adb. To access fastboot when starting up tablet hold either home or menu button. I don't remember which one.

mnhollandplum

Oct 9, 2011
I'm having a very similar problem. I uploaded a youtube video to show exactly what is happening.

My technologically astute friend is coming over tomorrow to help, he thinks that he can re-load Gingerbread on it and I can slipstream and original Android development so it will have market. I was just hoping to get as many well informed opinions as possible before i do anything else to it.

If I can get it working I'll be sure to post exactly what I did.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Feckweed405

Oct 7, 2011
I just read if you go in fastboot mode then you can use adb. To access fastboot when starting up tablet hold either home or menu button. I don't remember which one.

Thanks! I tried to reboot into fastboot by holding the menu key down but my until wont do that and it just boots normally into the Setup Wizard force close loop.

Feckweed405

Oct 7, 2011
I'm having a very similar problem. I uploaded a youtube video to show exactly what is happening.

My technologically astute friend is coming over tomorrow to help, he thinks that he can re-load Gingerbread on it and I can slipstream and original Android development so it will have market. I was just hoping to get as many well informed opinions as possible before i do anything else to it.

If I can get it working I'll be sure to post exactly what I did.

Thanks

Wow, that does look just like mine except mine boots up to the Setup Wizard force close dialog box which I cant get rid of. Please let us know if your friend can revive it and if I find anything I will post as well. Good luck and thanks!!

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks! I tried to reboot into fastboot by holding the menu key down but my until wont do that and it just boots normally into the Setup Wizard force close loop.
To access Fastboot you have to hold menu key which you did so now I don't know what to say. The only thing I can think of is contact Coby support and ask them how to get the menu to show up in the recover menu.

Feckweed405

Oct 7, 2011
It may work (it seems that the firmware/OS/CPU is similar):
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nical/24344-how-factory-reset-coby-kyros.html

Using a fastboot command via adb to erase the cache/data partition. Warning: it's a factory reset, so you will lose all installed apps and personalization.

Unfortunately my debugging isn’t on and I cant get into adb and although I tried holding down the menu button while restarting I cant get into fastboot mode. Great thoughts though - thanks so much!