MID9042 dump file problems.

killercolors

Jun 28, 2012
I've rooted my 9042 and have the dump sitting in the tablet, but for the life of me, it won't let me transfer the dump files from the tablet to my computer. I've windows 7 and it just sits there trying to transfer but never does.
I want to put the ClockworkMod recovery on there so I can get the googleplay store and from what I've read you can't without the Clockwork Mod which requires the stock recovery from the dump. But I can't even get the files to my PC from the tablet. Strangely enough everything else transfers just fine at top speed. It is alright to use someone else's recovery file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
When you plug the USB cable in you should receive a prompt offering to turn on the USB storage. If you're not getting that, check your Android settings as well as your ports on the PC. Do not turn on USB debugging for Android, and do not use a USB hub if you can help it.

The only reason the stock recovery is required for the root tool is as a fail safe. Should something happen while installing CWM you can restore the stock recovery and then attempt to flash CWM again. Since the recovery image is the same for all the 9042 units, you can use one from another person's dump. As far as I know the 9042 hasn't had any internal changes, but I would still attempt to get the dump off the device beforehand.

killercolors

Jun 28, 2012
Yeah I get the prompt and I connect, but if I try and transfer the dump files off the tablet it just sits there loading and loading and saying it's transferring when it's not. I've tried transferring the files one at a time and it starts to go, but then stops and sits there.
I went ahead and used the recovery image from another persons dump and everything worked fine and google play is on and working. I just would like to be able to have that dump folder in case anything happens.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Use Archidroid in the Play Store to zip up the files in the dump, then send the result to dropbox or mediafire so you can retrieve the file on your PC.

killercolors

Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for the app. I couldn't use dropbox because even after doing the zip file it wouldn't let me transfer it to the dropbox folder. So I went through my box app on the tablet.
I just can't understand why it's being nasty about these dump files. It's not that large. I've tried different usb cords to see if that was the problem, but it's not.
Either way thanks for the help!