Military Standard Rugged Android Tablets

stret67

Sep 10, 2011
Hi, We at our agency our looking into deploying android based tablets into the field and one of the restrictions is that the tablet needs to be rugged and be able to take a fair amount of abuse. So we are looking for MIL STD android tablets. So far from googling, I can't find any. There was one hit on a motorola, but the motorola customer service guy denied any knowledge about it. Is there anything else out there? Thanks

rbacio

Aug 28, 2011
I'm pretty sure Mil-spec hardware would be pretty highly publicized. What agency? Why on earth a tablet? What are the benefits of a tablet over existing military handhelds? I don't see it. Untested hardware doesn't go into "the field", as mission equipment. If it is tested and approved, then DoD is aware of it, has appropriated it, and has support for it (ie pubs, training) and you wouldn't be asking about it on the Android forum because it would be in the supply system. I doubt even spec-ops would even "Open Purchase" such equipment except for T & E purposes. Then the gov would contract a vendor to mfg. a Mil-spec, gov version. Besides, if I'm on the recieving end of some Bad SH...stuff, I'm not trusting my arse to my A500, I don't care if it's made of ballistic armor. Although A500 does kinda sound miltary huh? I'm intrigued about who would be interested...

stret67

Sep 10, 2011
Well, it is a government agency, but thankfully they are not in a military zone. They want a mobile system (Android/Java preferred) that will do will in cold freezing weather, take a few drops here and there and possibly weather dirty sweaty fingers

rbacio

Aug 28, 2011
Ahh, I see...Mil-spec not for military use, but Mil-spec because it's the governments dime. There are a whole host of Mil-spec notebooks out there. These aren't a better option?

Last edited:

rbacio

Aug 28, 2011
Hey think of the Market possiblities. Laser designator app, calibrate your weapon app, SATCOMroid, Google rapid exfil, NVG (night vision google), Ambushdroid and the Lords Prayer for tab.

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
Hey there stret67, first of all welcome to the forum. We've done a lot of research into this topic and there are more solutions out there than it might seem like at first. Your best bet though is likely the Trimble Yuma tablet which you can find info about in the first of 3 links that mpw27 provided. It has no moving parts meaning it's built tough and can handle extreme levels of vibration, shock or as you mentioned was important extreme cold weather.

To be more specific you might be interested in checking out these official Trimble Yuma Hardware Tests. As you will see there's a lot of valuable info there, and the Yuma is tested to work at a temperature of -22 °F and can be stored at -40 °F and still not be effected. I hope that helps, even if just a little.

stret67

Sep 10, 2011
rbacio, they didn't want notebooks. I think they are using pen and paper now and they like the touch screen interface of tablets. And they like Android for its future potential.

DarrylB: It's primarily a Java shop. Can they use Java to develop native applications for the Windows tablets? I thought it had to be in C# / .Net. In other words does the Windows tablets have Java APIs? Thanks

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the ASUS Tough? If you're looking into a tablet, it is water-resistant, dust-resistant, drop-resistant (2 and a half feet onto concrete), with a very ruggedized frame, and it is a name-brand with good reliability.

If you're going high-grade resilience, In my opinion the only major option would be a respected brand if you wanted certain quality. There may be others that are good, of course, but I would still recommend the ASUS.

The only problem is that it isn't out yet - probably in the next few months.

estysalinas

Mar 8, 2012
Hi, We at our agency our looking into deploying android based tablets into the field and one of the restrictions is that the tablet needs to be rugged and be able to take a fair amount of abuse. So we are looking for MIL STD android tablets. So far from googling, I can't find any. There was one hit on a motorola, but the motorola customer service guy denied any knowledge about it. Is there anything else out there? Thanks

Appears people have only recommend something with a windows OS. There is no real rugged (ie Mil-SPEC) android tablet out on the market yet, this is a niche that will be exploited very soon though. There are two players that are going to be getting dirty here. 1. Panasonic with their toughpad A1 and B1, and then Motorola, however i don't think the Motorola will be mil-spec...they may claim it as rugged though.

chagud

Oct 27, 2011
Take a look at the semi-rugged tablets from Ubiqconn. 10.1. These Tablets come in both Windows 7 and Android flavors.

Carpo series is a semi–rugged tablet PC with different solution platforms featuring 10.1’ WXGA/WVGA resolution TFT LCD panel separately. It’s integrated with WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, NFC RFID, 2M pixel rear camera and 1.3M pixel front camera. we also offer optional devices including 3.5G, GPS Tracker, 2D Barcode Scanner and MSR Card Reader. Carpo is a fully functional communication device suitable for any indoor and outdoor application. It provides IP55 rating for protection against dust and water, and compliance with military grade MIL-STD-810G by handling 4-foot drop, vibration, transit shock, and wide temperature ( -10?C ~ 50?C). Carpo is a reliable tablet PC for industrial use in any harsh environment.

These semi-rugged tablets compete well with other manufacturers like Panasonic toughbook

You can contact Geek Land at
(877) 597-7673
[email protected]

platerescue

Aug 6, 2012

Look at the Panasonic Toughpad FZ-A1 (Rugged MIL-STD-810G Design)
Panasonic Toughpad Android Tablet - Best Rugged Android Tablet