Mini Digital Signage for Retail - is Google android the answer to your prayers?

NoviSign

Apr 16, 2012
Electronic labels for retail are known and are in use for more than a decade at store however it is still in small number of places. Now when the Android tablets are out there and advancing everyday would you believe it can take offer the electronic labels at the store. We are discussing here labels with less than 5 inch screens. How low can such tablet wifi based can go down to be places on the shelves of the retails stores in big numbers scale? Did toy manage to see some used as mini signage?

mbabcock

Apr 19, 2012
I've been wondering a similar thing for signage to enter meeting rooms. For instance, we have five meeting rooms in our office, the cost to make meeting room signs is ~$10, then every day the signs are updated with a sheet of paper saying the day's schedule.

What is we got a tablet for $100, then used that as each day's schedule? It's updatable, and connected to our wifi. Can it be updated from a computer elsewhere? Can it be locked so that only admins can close out of it? Over the course of two years this would probably pay itself off, and the use of modern technology always makes a company look better.

dedavie

Oct 22, 2010
I know Kohls uses a digital or e-ink display but i can see the benefit of using an LCD / android based system.

mbabcock, I actually got a discarded SX280, hid it under a nice coffee table, and ran a 15 inch screen to the conference room wall. It is constantly displaying the current weeks calendar of availability. i would LOVE a wall mounted tablet that can do the same thing though!.

Don

mbabcock

Apr 19, 2012
Are you using Google Calendar to make it so you don't even have to touch it ever? Basically it sounds like you're using the tab as a micro computer.

Awesome little way to use that technology.

NoviSign

Apr 16, 2012
As you were pointing correctly it is ~100 USD per tablet to be places near a meeting room, product, point of sales... in the past you needed to have screen + PC + OS to do that now all you need is a tablet. the tablet gives you screen + cpu + network and it is all in one under 100 USD and we forecast the prices to be more attractive to a level of ~50USD when that will happen it might be a world with less ink and more pixels

The point is yet we are looking for the best of the self tablets to do that and we are here to get some feedback on the optimum tablet cost effective for mini singe

sammathew

May 10, 2012
If android tablets can be used for advertising, it would be a revolution in this industry and will cut short the expenses and will make advertising more effective. I suppose it will be used as Indoor as well as outdoor advertising signs.

NoviSign

Apr 16, 2012
Since we origianly started the post we are seeing more and more tablets that can fit digital signage on android tablet. There more and more vendors also better performance however we are still searching for the optimal one