"Mini Tablet" vs "Mini Tablet Express"

hfcx

Feb 28, 2011
Just bought a Sylvania 7" Mini Tablet Express from CVS for $99. I thought that was the same one shown on Digital Gadget's web site at first.

Then I found out the UPC codes are different. Mine says SYTABEX7 and the one discussed in this forum is SYNET7LP. I also found that product specification in the back of the box were different. The SYNET7LP model has 1GHz ARM11 processor and 2GB storage. The Express one says 1GB storage and has no mention of the processor.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two tablet? What kind of processor does it have and at what speed? I haven't opened the box and is wondering whether I should just return it.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Ok. now I am confused. I also just got the $99 tablet @ CVS. I love it! But you said that your model was listed as SYTABEX7 on the box. mine is too. but if you go into settings and scroll down to About Device, it says the Model Number is SYNET7LP. mine has Firmware Ver. DG2.01 and Kernal Ver 2.6.32.9 zhouli@judy-pc #31

I am going to try to root it this week. But I want to make sure I am doing it the right way for the right device. Could it be that the box has the SYTABEX7 becauce the device has the 50% memory and no HDMI, but the rest of the hardware is the same and still has the SYNET7LP listed in the software?

hfcx

Feb 28, 2011
Ok. now I am confused. I also just got the $99 tablet @ CVS. I love it! But you said that your model was listed as SYTABEX7 on the box. mine is too. but if you go into settings and scroll down to About Device, it says the Model Number is SYNET7LP. mine has Firmware Ver. DG2.01 and Kernal Ver 2.6.32.9 zhouli@judy-pc #31

I am going to try to root it this week. But I want to make sure I am doing it the right way for the right device. Could it be that the box has the SYTABEX7 becauce the device has the 50% memory and no HDMI, but the rest of the hardware is the same and still has the SYNET7LP listed in the software?

It's good to hear that the model number in the tablet could be different from the that in the UPC. Less flash storage is ok as I plan to use it with micro sd card. I just hope the CPU is still 1GHz ARM11.

I am waiting for arrival of screen protector before taking the factory tape off so I haven't turn the unit on yet.

MGGopher

Mar 1, 2011
Run ASI on it. I think the only difference is the internal memory, making this a pretty darn good deal for the tablet, for the hardware anyway.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...d-system-info-display-device-information.html

I just picked one of these up on Sunday as well. Hopefully we'll get some increased traffic and action on these boards as people pick them up for $99! I have ASI on mine and it says the following for CPU: Processor: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l). Hardware: IMAPX200.

For what it's worth, I really like mine. I rooted it and loaded a working market (THANKS bigwooly!!!). I've played Angry Birds, watched a movie, surfed some Java heavy websites with Skyfire, and basically just f'ed around. There's a lot of hate out there for this thing, but for what it is (disposable, cheap, FUN tech), I think it's a blast.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
ok. how did you root it? Did you use the instructions here? i tried z4root and it gave me the UBS Debug error.

bjabituya

Mar 2, 2011
I just picked one of these up on Sunday as well. Hopefully we'll get some increased traffic and action on these boards as people pick them up for $99! I have ASI on mine and it says the following for CPU: Processor: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l). Hardware: IMAPX200.

For what it's worth, I really like mine. I rooted it and loaded a working market (THANKS bigwooly!!!). I've played Angry Birds, watched a movie, surfed some Java heavy websites with Skyfire, and basically just f'ed around. There's a lot of hate out there for this thing, but for what it is (disposable, cheap, FUN tech), I think it's a blast.

Agreed. I picked mine up from CVS for $99 as well, rooted, put on market, and have been loving it. WORD TO THE WISE: There is an "Update Device" option at the bottom of the list in Settings, I checked this every day since I got it and today, there was an update. IT BRICKED MY TABLET. I'm going to be returning it to CVS. DO NOT UPDATE.

Feb 25, 2011
ok. how did you root it? Did you use the instructions here? i tried z4root and it gave me the UBS Debug error.

I used universal Androot and it worked beautifully. I didn't put market on my tablet however because the tablet states it does not have a recovery image on it. I used other sources to get my .APK's and side loaded them.

MGGopher

Mar 1, 2011

Ditto what others said...I used Universal AndRoot as part of the process to get a working Market. It worked quickly and flawlessly. I seriously think this thing is a blast. I discovered last night that you can set the display to turn off automatically after 1 minute of inactivity (which many of you know, I'm sure). Settings>Sounds & Display>Screen Timeout. This obviously has a positive impact on affect on battery life, which is good--it's pretty sad.

hfcx

Feb 28, 2011
I looked for the infotmic web site since that's the logo that came up on boot. The I saw description at that web site that looked almost same as the Sylvania. Then I came across the following web site that had the same information but in english. What do you think?

SYNET7LP is made by INFOTMIC Specs for 7" Tablet

cainm13

Mar 2, 2011
The Mini Tablet Express might have a sensor in it after all. Android System Info shows Infotm Orientation Sensor: 3.0 mA by The Android Open Source Project.

So I'm guessing it's not working due to the 2.01 OS build. Everyone who updated to 2.02 got the screen auto rotating right?

Last edited:

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
I wish I knew a way to upgrade to the 2.02 build. My tablet is no longer telling me that a update is available, it says it's current but is still 2.01.

cainm13

Mar 2, 2011
Express model

"CPU Benchmark" CPU speed is 791mhz, 2837ms.
"Linepack for Android" gives it ~5 MFLOPS

"AnTutu System Benchmark"
Memory: 102
CPU Integer: 239
CPU Float: 172
2D Graphics 157
3D Graphics 68
Database IO 20
SD Card Write 61 (5.7mb/s)
SD Card Red 125 (13.0mb/s)
Total Score 944
Score is between HTC Hero and Moto Milestone. Highest score is HTC Desire HD (1.9Ghz) with score of 3600

Last edited: