Motorola Xoom / Motorola Xoom Forum

superbike81

Jan 3, 2011
Sounds like a very nice tablet, but it needs to be in the $300 - $400 price range. With the economy being absolutely horrible in the U.S, I can't imagine it being higher. The iPad targets people who have the money to be able to purchase one. They have a nice, wealthy niche. This should not, and cannot be Android's niche. If so, it will loose...

$350 with no contract, awesome... $400 with a contract... HORRIBLE. I don't want to spend $400 then an additional $500.00 on data. By the time your done you will have invested $900 into a tablet.

I think you are being too hopeful about this. Even the complete POS current tablets out are $200, and those are terrible.

Just by looking at the specs, and judging based on the price of the Galaxy Tab and other devices out there, I would say the Wi-Fi version will be ~$450 and the 3G version will be $400 on contract and $600 without. Just speculation, but I think you hoping for a sub-$400 pricetag might be a little too optimistic.

dbljackson

Jan 12, 2011
IMO there can and will be a iPad killer, just matter of time. Just as Macs are not PC killers, iPhone is no longer the leading smartphone,
and Apple OS's are not the OS of choice.

Apple is very good at recognizing opportunities to provide technology with a great user experience and high quality components. In addition their marketing is second to none.
However due to the way they intentionally cripple or leave out key features just to provide more revenue at a later upgrade/version point will always be their downfall.

IPad will eventually lose it's marketshare lead and become just another tablet choice.

Last edited:

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I think you are way off base. They cannot sell the thing for $350...did you know that the bulk cost of the tablet is 1) the screen 2) the battery. This is a 10" version, of course the price is going to be higher.

Luckily tho, it seems there is a wifi-only version (engadget) so I reckon the might cost $500 with the 3g one costing around 600-700 maybe 500 with contract.

I was referencing the fact that if the Motorola Xoom wants to be the big boy on the block and "attempt" to knock the iPad off the pedestal it needs to be attractive to the general population. Selling a high price tablet is no better than what Apple is doing. It's a very small niche, that only so many amount of people will purchase. It's great to sell a million tablets at $500, but even better to sell 3 million at $300.00

1,000,000 x $500 = $500,000,000
3,000,000 x $300 = $900,000,000

When the prices drop more people will purchase them. Motorola knows this... if they truly want to sell a ton of these and market them into big retail chains it knows $500+ isn't going to be the way to go. Why buy a Xoom at $500.00 when you can get an iPad2 at the same price... that is exactly what the average consumer will say.

But anyways, obviously... the Xoom needs it's own section ;)