Move programs to SD Card

sarkon

Jul 23, 2011
Can any one tell me how to move some of my installed programs to my SD Card?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
If you plan on running them still it won't work for most tablets, I say most because I am unsure if any of them allow this or CAN allow it to be honest, if I understand correctly. I know that's not the answer you both wanted to hear, but that's how they're designed. SD cards are for playing media files pretty much, not for use for storing actively used applications.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
You really not moving the apps to the SD card but a portion of it. There has to be the essential still installed on the device for the app to work correctly and not all apps allow this to happen. To move them you need to go to settings/applications/manage applications. At least that is the way most devices do it, and all are pretty much the same with some variances.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
So it is possible to run an app from an external SD card RobKort? That's great to hear, I thought it might be possible, but that some devices didn't allow it. :)

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Yes and no. Part of the app will be on the SD card and the rest will be on the system. At least that is the way it is on my Atrix, not saying that will be the case on all tablets.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
From what I understand, Honeycomb (Android 3.x) does not support running apps from the SD card. And looking at the system settings on my Honeycomb tablets, there is no option to move apps to the SD card. For the cheaper tablets that are running 2.x versions of Android, which is really a phone operating system....

Android 2.1 (Eclair) - operating system does not support moving apps to the SD card, however, you can get an app (App2SD) that will move the apps to the SD card.
Android 2.2 (Froyo) - operating system does support moving apps to the SD card and will allow the apps to run off of the SD card. Certain files will still remain in your native memory though, but it will only be a few kb.
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) - same as Android 2.2

With Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x), Google is merging the phone OS with the tablet OS so there will just be one operating system for all devices, so I would assume that it will support having apps installed to the SD card as well.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
That's cool jseah, I hope it's true since the Coby we're looking at has Gingerbread and it would be great to be able to run apps from the SD card. :)