Movie Audio quality...

jrullan

Jul 7, 2011
I have ripped several movies, and downloaded some, all play but Audio either does not sync or I have the optimus prime voice coming from the movie... ANy ideas?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I posted some Handbrake setting here some place that work very well. No one can give you any ideas when you give no hints as to how you are ripping movies.

jrullan

Jul 7, 2011
I posted some Handbrake setting here some place that work very well. No one can give you any ideas when you give no hints as to how you are ripping movies.

Sorry, I am using DVD Fab 8 file converter to AVI.. to rip..

I am playing on either MOBO or QQplayer..

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have ripped several movies, and downloaded some, all play but Audio either does not sync or I have the optimus prime voice coming from the movie... ANy ideas?

Try long pressing the movie in MoBo Player and selecting "Soft Decoding".

I had the same problem with my DVD FAB 8 convert to AVI.
I'm probably going to rip them all again to mp4, but I'm looking for a less finicky ripper than Fab 8.
(I mean it works and its very customizable, but its overly complex).

Anyone have any suggestions? (and don't even mention Handbrake. Been there, done that, still have the scars).

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I've got over 100 films ripped using Handbrake that play on the Iconia (all of them are h.264, m4v). Most are 720p, but now I'm doing all new ones at 1080p. All are dolby prologic 2 . If you can't make handbrake work, you just haven't used the right settings. These work on my laptops, iPad2, and Logitech Revue (google tv, if I can get windows media player to import them into the library).

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
So why not document these settings here for us all?

I can't even get handbreak to read the DVD!!! Error reading title 1 over and over.
DVD Fab 8 had no problem reading and ripping the same DVD. (its a full season of Stargate episodes).

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
I use defab 8 then handbrake to get the dvds to where I want them.

If you are not sure what settings to use for handbrake, try decoding the first 3 or 4 chapters only. See if you like the results.

I change the settings in handbrake depending on the movie (action vs. no action scenes)

I think with hc 3.1, this method turns out really nice vids and the audio seems to be syncd ok most of the time.

Ken

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

Wait, you run it thru TWO programs?

Fab 8 would do this in one pass, why is handbrake involved at all?
My only problem with Fab 8 was that I encoded to AVI which was a working for 3.0.1, but not so well for 3.1, where I have to use soft decode to get the sound right. Its never out of sync with Fab 8.

Fab 8 also installed a DLL on my system that was problematic for windows 7, but maybe the newer release fixes that.

I was just looking for better solutions, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011

I did. It here in a thread somewhere. I got the setting from the Xoom forum and pasted them here (in the Iconia forum). The only reason I don't do it again is because I'm not sure I remember which are critical (I've been changing them up).

Ok....I'll try.

I think the critical setting are:

Under Audio tab set Sample rate to 48 and bitrate to 160.
Under Video tab set Video Codec to H.264 and Framerate to Same as Source. Set Average Bitrate to 2200.
Under Picture tab set Anamorphic to Loose, Modulus to 16. I usually do play around with source and keep aspect ratio fixed.

I hope I have this all correct...I find that sample rate and bitrates (both of them) are the most important.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011

I can't even get handbreak to read the DVD!!! Error reading title 1 over and over.
DVD Fab 8 had no problem reading and ripping the same DVD. (its a full season of Stargate episodes).

If you use handbrake, you need a means to defect copy protection. I use AnyDVDHD for that. I think DVDFab8 has this function included. Either AnyDVDHD or DVDFab8 will cost you money. I got AnyDVDHD unlimited and am good forever with it.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011

If you are not sure what settings to use for handbrake, try decoding the first 3 or 4 chapters only. See if you like the results.

I change the settings in handbrake depending on the movie (action vs. no action scenes)

I think with hc 3.1, this method turns out really nice vids and the audio seems to be syncd ok most of the time.

Ken

Mine have perfect sync all the time. The transcodes work every time and for every movie. I don't need any extra players, either. The Tab does a great job playing movies once you feed it vids ripped correctly (which is not all that tricky with handbrake, as I now play around with settings at will).

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
And did I mention that I can stream these rips using the clear.fi app (that's 1080p with perfect sync)? Something happened to it after the update to 3.1, so it is force closing a lot, but the vids continue to play (it's weird, something is FCing but it continues to work). I can't seem to find a way to stop the server because of the force closing, though. I may do a reset to get back to a fresh state on the tablet, if I can't find another solution.

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Come to think of it, the ones that the audio didn't sync up perfectly were chinese martial arts movies. (sticking my head up my own rear end) they were dubbed!:)

Ken

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
handbrake1.png

handbrake2.png

handbrake3.png

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
One can also use Avg Bitrate = 2200 instead of Constant Quality. Both work in my experience. One can also do Avg Bitrate=2200 along with 2-pass Encoding and Turbo First Pass to get even better rips.