Movie Handbrake issue

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
First let me say I love this little tablet. I still would like a multitouch......but for what it is I love it. So much so that even though my wife and I have a 108 inch high def theater with 7.2 surround sound in our home I still find myself watching a movie on the tablet some evenings..... :) It is so convenient!! Ok enough off topic ramblings..

I have loaded about 12 movies on the device so far with no issues. ( I use handbrake to convert them to ipod touch MP4's and use Rockplayer on the device to watch them) If I use the generic ipod touch settings I have no trouble. However that is a lower resolution than the tablet is capable of. Now, if I increase the resolution in handbrake then the audio is not synced up when I watch them. I don't know if this is a result of a handbrake audio issue or Rockplayer not being able to keep up with the higher resolution. Is there a setting to sync audio somewhere?

What are some common settings and programs for movies that you guys are using for your devices? Do you set them at the full resolution for the tablet? My bluray and movie files are saved as MKV files in my media server so I'm wondering what best to convert them to?

dethanjl

Mar 15, 2011
try the universal preset. I haven't tried it yet, but I did notice it is set for 720 width. I haven't used it for the s7 yet, just used it for my touch, so I really don't know.
-dave

tri_zet

Developer
Mar 1, 2011
i tried using handbrake, formatfactory but get same result, video/audio not sync.

try using freemake video converter, it use "cuda" so make the conversion faster if you are using nvidia card.

use this settings:
> convert to mp4, select android (800x480) or to mp4 (1280x720)
> frame rate :23.976
> video codec : H264
> bitrate: try to reduce bitrate or limit file size, even though the result bitrate/file size still higher then our selection, video still playable in ideos s7.
(example bitrate 1900 kbps resulting 1 hour movie with 900 MB file size) this bitrate not playable (stuttering) using stock player or any player with software decoding mode.
> use Audio codec AAC bitrate 128 kbps

then in Rockplayer, use setting "use hardware decoding mode"

for now i use those settings, but still try to find a way to reduce the file size.

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Yeah using the ipod touch settings on handbrake I have 17 movies that play with no problems whatsoever. It is only when I alter the stock resolution settings on handbrake that the audio sync issues begin. I'm going to play with a few different settings and try a higher resolution again. I forgot to try the difference between hardware and software decoding like you mentioned so I will try that as well.
Are you guys converting to the exact tablet resolution for your files?

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
This is the Handbrake preset I use on my S7 - works well.

Key thing is you need to disable all H.264 options that are outside of the Baseline profile.

I do set mine to scale to fit to the S7's native resolution. (Actually, this presents a good question - is the S7 800x480 or 854x480?)

Attachments

• $Android-handbrakepreset.zip
    1 KB · Views: 344