Movies Disappeared in Honeycomb

davemartel

Dec 2, 2011
Hi Guys,

Just updated to Honeycomb on my Vizio tab and now I can't find the movies (mp4) I have on my SD card. I used to go to a folder called "External" and they'd be there. Now they are gone.

I tried the "Movies" folder and can't see them.

I've tried unmounting the card and re-mounting and it doesn't work.

When I plug in via USB, I see the movies.

Please, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

bezoar

Oct 4, 2011
The external sdcard and anything stored on it are in a new location - /mnt/external_sdcard/. Unfortunately, most of the apps don't know to look there. The only app that I found that can see that location is Ghost Commander, a free file manager.

However, I found that by setting the default storage location to the external sdcard you can access all the files on the card from any app. Go to Settings, Storage, and Default Storage Location to set this option. Doing this will also transfer all your apps to the sd card. This, coincidentally, fixes one of the biggest gripes against the Vtab as it shipped - the inability to put apps on the sdcard.

One last note, when I did the above procedure, my video files on my sdcard somehow were no longer readable and I had to erase them and reload them. My pictures, music, and documents were fine.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Philtablet

Jan 13, 2012
Standard procedure for PSP is to make a Folder titled VIDEO. For Vizio's gallery you put that folder under GALLERY. I now have video after updating and forgot that I didn't have any video in my SDHC 4gb category 4 card. I suppose I am a happy camper now.

Luckygoof

Nov 13, 2011
when i try to play a movie, it says "cant open /mnt/internal/_sd card/DCIM/THE KID.droid.mp4 to play" or "cant open/mnt/internal_sd card/download/video-2012-2-24-17-54-46.mp4 no matter which player I use. When I try a home movie it works fine. Tried looking on es file explorer for internal or mnt/internal but cannot find. I Am very inexperienced and frustrated. Any ideas?

Kail

Mar 5, 2012
Luckygoof, you must have changed your default storage to your external SD card!

You see, the original file structure of Gingerbread in Vizio tablet is /mnt/sdcard for the internal SD storage and /mnt/sdcard/external for the external SD card.
After you changed your default storage to the external SD card, the internal SD storage becomes /mnt/internal_sd card and the external SD card becomes /mnt/sdcard

So after you changed your default storage to your external SD card. If you want to access you external SD card using Es file explorer App you have to goto /mnt/sdcard. However, during the change of default storage process, depending on how you set up your Apps and/or how the various Apps record their storage file locations, some files may not have moved into the right location.

Luckygoof

Nov 13, 2011
The reason I changed it was because the movies quit playing right after the update. I also have a movie that would not play even before the update. It would read "This file can't be played by the system player, trying soft decoding mode. I wasn't the one who put the movies onto the tablet. I need to get some hands-on computer training jusst to understand what people are talking about on this forum. I suppose that if I leave the tablet the way it is now and have movies reloaded they will be playable. Not a big deal now as I have several other problems after the update to address. I have been waiting to see if anyone on the forum has had similar problems. Thanks for the info.

davemartel

Dec 2, 2011
I just downloaded and installed "Astro File Manager", a free app. WIth this one, there is a tab for the external SD Card. Clicking on that shows all my movies on the card and I can select and play them from there. It's a very nice, free app.