Moving files from USB external card reader to Galaxy's micro SD card

fred615

Dec 26, 2010
One of the prime reasons for getting a tablet was to be able to back up photos from my camera's memory card to the tab instead of lugging around a regular laptop. I have connected a card reader to the Galaxy tab with the USB/power cable that came with it. But when I open a file manager app, it doesn't show the external memory card.

Is this something that will NEVER work on the Galaxy? I briefly had a Sylvania tab (battery failed after 3 weeks so I switched to the Samsung) that worked fine when trying to do that. What gives? Is there some other file manager or another workaround that will let me move (backup) those photos?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ken

Dec 23, 2010
Isn't that the same as using the SD card that's built into the tab?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab (SCH-1800)

specmac

Oct 19, 2010
I don't think the Tab has USB Host capability. Not sure, but a bluetooth card reader might work though. Note most likely this will note work on the Verizon Tabs which has a lot of the bluetooth profiles disabled.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
fred615,

Unless the tab has a significant amount of built-in memory (and only the t-Mobile version has 16GB built in most others only have 2GB), you are only transferring (backing up) your photos to the Galaxy's microSD card and I don't see much point in doing that. I use a portable hard drive/reader/viewer (Wolverine ESP) to back up my SD cards on the go. Don't have to carry around a laptop and can view the photos on the device. Of course, the device will run you about $100 to $250 depending on how much storage you want/need (the cost of the HDD itself plus the electronics). But its a more convenient solution than even lugging around the tablet as a backup device. Other options include getting an EyeFi SD card (not sure it it will transfer files via WiFi to the Galaxy though) or getting an SD to microSD adaptor for your camera so you can readily swap out the microSD cards between your Tab and your Camera (this could facilitate file transfers direct to internal memory if your Tab has significant built-in memory as discussed above). Good luck.

fred615

Dec 26, 2010
I should have mentioned on the initial post, that I am trying to backup my camera's CF or SD card's photos to the REMOVABLE 16GB microSD card that is in the slot on the Samsung. As one of the other responders stated, there is no way the Samsung Galaxy is ever going to talk to a "passive" USB device such as a card reader. The USB port on the Galaxy is strictly for "talking" to a PC or laptop as a client, not a host.

The reason I want to backup my photos to the removable microSD card is so that I do not have to take my laptop with me on a week long trip, yet I can safely store copies of my photos on another memory card AND I can also surf the web, read my email, and play games without the laptop. I had initially, 6 months ago, toyed with the idea of buying one of the portable HD's as mentioned in the previous posts, but that meant I still had to carry the laptop for internet access. I don't want to have to bring 2 electronic devices if I don't have to.

Since a cheaper tablet that I got for a Christmas present EASILY transferred photos to it's removable microSD card (before it broke), I was hoping that Samung's USB port would perform in a similar manner. I personally think that the lack of a host USB port on the Galaxy is a serious design omission. But the cheaper tablet actually had TWO USB ports, one as a host and the other for use as a client (connection to a PC). So my Samsung will shortly have a new home and I will end up with one of the other cheaper tablets for now and forgo a few other whizzy features. :(