Moving from PC to Tablet

roko

Dec 4, 2012
Hello to All, hope i'm in the right place to get help with the following:
I've been using PCs for a number of years and getting by ok, and now i'm needing to move into the Tablet World and am worried about the difficulty in
learning to use this very different system.. Having been around since the start of WW2 doesn't help with these changes..

Since i'm faced with the prospect of losing my DSL account i'm looking for a way to continue online access. i have a laptop with wireless adapter and since my local library has free wireless service i could go there and manage ok. problem is, the laptop is large /heavy and requires that i bring theac adpter due to low battery life. i would like to buy something ( in the $200 range)_ smaller and compact that would be wireless and permit me to use e-mail, access online banking site, general web browsing etc.
I, would really appreciate some basic insight on this as i get so confused by the complexity of OS in the new Tablets.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi roco, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Enjoy the forum and good luck finding that "perfect tablet" for you!

D

Dawnstar

Hello to All, hope i'm in the right place to get help with the following:
I've been using PCs for a number of years and getting by ok, and now i'm needing to move into the Tablet World and am worried about the difficulty in
learning to use this very different system.. Having been around since the start of WW2 doesn't help with these changes..

Since i'm faced with the prospect of losing my DSL account i'm looking for a way to continue online access. i have a laptop with wireless adapter and since my local library has free wireless service i could go there and manage ok. problem is, the laptop is large /heavy and requires that i bring theac adpter due to low battery life. i would like to buy something ( in the $200 range)_ smaller and compact that would be wireless and permit me to use e-mail, access online banking site, general web browsing etc.
I, would really appreciate some basic insight on this as i get so confused by the complexity of OS in the new Tablets.

IMO i wouldn't give up on any PC for a tablet today, Tablet PC have come along way over the years but it's not the same as real thing Apple or Samsung there is allots of junk & copy tablets out there on the market today claiming to be the best with pictures graphics, The best way is to learn all about the tablet you wish to buy or ask question on here about it to be on the safe side most tablet pc OS comes with (Jellybean) It's faster than the old (Ice cream sandwich) But now we have the new OS Windows 8, it's best to shop around for the best deals also go to the shops pick one up to take a real look before you buy. because online you can't do this and online pictures can lie and there is no returns sometimes.i have seen some main street shops are becoming cheaper than online shopping here in the UK

Also to look for is the company name? or the website so you can update the tablet drivers in English, The CPU ARM CORTEX A9 is a dualcore A8 is old CPU Single core Allwinner A10 is a Single core now we have A15 Quadcore in CPU, also look for a tablet with more than 512MB of Ram most come with 1GB today some small 7" tablet comes with only 8GB best to go highter something like 16GB if you can in flash drive and make sure you can add a MircoSD card like a 32GB for all that reading and movies on the move.

Please do your research and be careful of copies, OME, also online gimmicks, offer best deals, many Wifi antenns are been made by Huawei,

Hope this will help you:D

After this year i am Changing my Chinese tablet pc for (Samsung tab) reasons i want the real thing.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

roko

Dec 4, 2012
IMO i wouldn't give up on any PC for a tablet today, Tablet PC have come along way over the years but it's not the same as real thing Apple or Samsung there is allots of junk & copy tablets out there on the market today claiming to be the best with pictures graphics, The best way is to learn all about the tablet you wish to buy or ask question on here about it to be on the safe side most tablet pc OS comes with (Jellybean) It's faster than the old (Ice cream sandwich) But now we have the new OS Windows 8, ti's best to shop around for the best deals also go to the shops pick one up to take a real look before you buy. because online you can't do this because pictures can lie and there is no returns.i have seen some main street shops are becoming cheaper than online shopping here in the UK

Also to look for is the company name? or the website so you can update the tablet drivers in English, The CPU ARM CORTEX A9 is a dualcore A8 is old CPU Single core Allwinner A10 is a Single core now we have A15 Quadcore in CPU, also look for a tablet with more than 512MB of Ram most come with 1GB today some small 7" tablet comes with only 8GB best to go highter something like 16GB if you can in flash drive and make sure you can add a MircoSD card like a 32GB for all that reading and movies on the move.

After this year i am Changing my Chinese tablet pc for (Samsung tab) reasons i want the real thing.;)

Thank you for your response. i wouldn't expect the tablet to replace my PC but merely be a compact device to take to my library for wireless access and be able to use e-mail and general browsing while i am without my DSL at home.

This may not be a good idea but it's all i can think of.

thanks again !!

D

Dawnstar

Thank you for your response. i wouldn't expect the tablet to replace my PC but merely be a compact device to take to my library for wireless access and be able to use e-mail and general browsing while i am without my DSL at home.

This may not be a good idea but it's all i can think of.

thanks again !!

You are Welcome i hope you find a good tab for your every day need:D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Roko, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have fairly light needs for a tablet (not for business or school). In that case I recommend the Nexus 7 tablet which is $200 for 16GB and comes with stock Android (Jelly Bean). It will handle video, email, browsing, reading, music, etc. with no problems. The only potential drawback is that it has a 7" screen. This makes the tablet much easier to hold and to transport but also means a smaller screen to look at.

If you are looking at a larger screen the options become more expensive. For tablets in the 10" range you are looking at either Chinese tablets or used or refurbished tablets to hit your price point.

roko

Dec 4, 2012
Roko, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have fairly light needs for a tablet (not for business or school). In that case I recommend the Nexus 7 tablet which is $200 for 16GB and comes with stock Android (Jelly Bean). It will handle video, email, browsing, reading, music, etc. with no problems. The only potential drawback is that it has a 7" screen. This makes the tablet much easier to hold and to transport but also means a smaller screen to look at.

If you are looking at a larger screen the options become more expensive. For tablets in the 10" range you are looking at either Chinese tablets or used or refurbished tablets to hit your price point.

Thanks for this info. that Nexus 7 sounds like it would work out fine for my needs !! this is a great site and i expect i'll be back again and again....

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi Roko, welcom to the forum. For a 7 inch tablet PC, i'd suggest you to take a look at the Pipo U2(7 inch dual core, dual camera tablet with IPS screen and android 4.1 jelly bean), the Ainol novo 7 Flame is also a good choice but it's in short supply among the market right now...
hope you'll find what you want! :)

arkie

Mar 24, 2012
Hi Roko , I too am an old PC user and not really too good at that . LOL . Remember all tablets are made in China , none that I know of are made in the USA . Take a look at the Ainol Flame 7 inch tablet . I has specs equal to the Google Nexus and has 2 cameras , the rear one being 5 megapixels . It's resolution is as good as the Nexus . It comes with 16 gigs of memory and a sd card slot to go up to 32 . I've had mine for a couple of months now and have hooked it into my 50 inch tv by use of hdmi cable . Just saying --- check it out !