Apr 26, 2012
My A500 has 16GB's of memory. After loading all my stuff I'm down to
1.8GB's. Plenty of room on the 16GB SD. Can I move some of the programs
to external memory to free up room?
icon5.png

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi Billy,

If you go to settings/application management and click on the applications you want to move you should get an option to move them to the Micro SD Card if the application can run from the SD card.

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
2 answers, yes and no. On a non rooted tablet, no you can't move your apps. On a rooted tablet you should be able to by using links2sd or apps2sd.

I just wondering of those 14 gigs of apps you have how many are necessary. I've only managed to use about 4 gigs of my 16 so far. You may be better off upgrading to a larger capacity tablet. If you got tons of music and pics eating up space then consider buying a good quality class 10 SD card and using that. Also don't forget about using USB thumb drives and powered external hard drives.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi Billy,

If you go to settings/application management and click on the applications you want to move you should get an option to move them to the Micro SD Card if the application can run from the SD card.
Not with ICS. Unless you have some CUSTOM ROM (like THOR) which makes your ACER think it is a ASUS...

It will not run from there. You can't send an app to the external SD card and run the app from there. Is it necessary to have every movie jam-packed on your A500.. I have 45/1.5 hour sermons, music clips, and other documentation - I have 24.8 GB still free.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I have more apps than I need on my 16 GB (13 GB usable) tablet and I only have about 1.5 GB of apps installed. If you have any media installed, try moving that to external. I use a 32 GB microSD and a 64 GB SD in my device for movies, pictures, etc. Google Play Music cloud services for my music needs.

I basically have 102 GB of usable space, 13 for apps, 89 for media, documents, backups, etc.

I struggle with folks who want to move apps to the sd cards with larger devices. On phones with 1-2 GB of space, I get it. But with more than 8 GB of internal memory I guess I do not see the big deal. At TransformerForums users have been wanting to do this just because they cannot, not because they are going to run out of space.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Some questions get recycled over and over again. This is one of them. People seem to want the universe in 8,16 or 32 GB. Just don't put everything on the internal memory. As you say, they should put all media stuff on the external SD or on a USB Stick....