MX Player

Freddieboy

Aug 22, 2013
I have downloaded a copy of MX Player and are not sure how to open it. It is in my download files.

Second day with Android, Freddie

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
When someone says they downloaded something they frequently mean they installed something from the Google Store, if that's the case you should be able to find it in your app drawer, the tiny squares in the upper right corner of your screen. If you find it there you can long press it and drag it to a home screen

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
If the file has a dot apk (.apk) extension, tapping the file should bring up an install dialog.

Freddieboy

Aug 22, 2013
Thanks for the replies. The file I was trying to open was downloaded as a NZB and no the file did not have a (.apk) extension.

I was having trouble opening the google store, but have since rectified the problem thanks to advise given on this forum. Thus I have been able to download the apps I required.

Why do SONY sell their tablets with such crap apps?

Thanks Freddie

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Why do SONY sell their tablets with such crap apps

What crap app would you be referring to?

As for the NZB file that is an extension for am NNTP feed. Do you have an NNTP news reader?

Freddieboy

Aug 22, 2013
What crap app would you be referring to?

As for the NZB file that is an extension for am NNTP feed. Do you have an NNTP news reader?

I'm probably whinging a bit here! But why not sell a tablet with a media player and ebook reader that plays and reads most formats?

Yes, I have a NNTP news reader.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I'm probably whinging a bit here! But why not sell a tablet with a media player and ebook reader that plays and reads most formats?

Yes, I have a NNTP news reader.

Hmmm, well the iPad can only play .mp4, pretty much the same as the stock Android Gallery movie player.

As far as providing a good media player, there are quite a few good ones, MX, Mobo, Dice and BS. Some users swear by one or the other. Also, most of these have a free version with ads or a paid version. I would guess Sony (and other tablet manufacturers) do not want to package apps with ads, and also do not want to pay for licenses.

Oh, and I have heard a LOT of tablet users that would rather have almost NO pre-packaged apps and allow themselves to choose what apps they want. That is why a lot of users love the pure Android ROMs as they do not have any crap-ware in them, even if it is a fully functional media player.

Freddieboy

Aug 22, 2013
Hmmm, well the iPad can only play .mp4, pretty much the same as the stock Android Gallery movie player.

As far as providing a good media player, there are quite a few good ones, MX, Mobo, Dice and BS. Some users swear by one or the other. Also, most of these have a free version with ads or a paid version. I would guess Sony (and other tablet manufacturers) do not want to package apps with ads, and also do not want to pay for licenses.

Oh, and I have heard a LOT of tablet users that would rather have almost NO pre-packaged apps and allow themselves to choose what apps they want. That is why a lot of users love the pure Android ROMs as they do not have any crap-ware in them, even if it is a fully functional media player.

In retrospect I probably cracked the ****s more because I was getting error messages on google store and had a tablet that would not preform the tasks that I wanted it to. Since sorting that problem and loading some better programs I'm a happy camper.

What crap-ware preloaded on this tablet is worth dispensing with?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
In my opinion it would probably do little harm or good to dispense with any of it. There are a few of the stock apps you can disable, like Hangouts, Google (books, music etc) but you won't gain anything you would notice. You can however remove the icons to get rid of the clutter.

Freddieboy

Aug 22, 2013
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I bought my first tablet on a whim because the price was so good. One week later I now wonder how I ever lived without it.