My A500 just updated to 3.2 - Virginia, USA

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
I turned on the Iconia today at about 2:00 PM and I was greeted with then Update Available window. I downloaded the update and preformed the installation.

All went very very well and no hiccups. Typing this now on my A500 on HC 3.2.

For those interested, I'm in northern Virginia.

Build is:

ACER_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2

Last edited:

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Yea, figures the tobacco growers would be first in the US.
Thanks for the update.
I hope all our updates go smoothly since I've seen some reports otherwise.
Keep us updated as to how it performs, what's better and what's not.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Interesting. That means my update can't be more than a month away.

(Clearly this rollout is not serial number order as some suggest. I ordered mine site unseen at least four weeks prior to availability.)

More important, now official North American builds will be trapped posted, and available for side loading on places like XDA.

@frnkws: There are ALWAYS reports of failure. ALWAYS. With every release of every update for every device running every OS. In the big picture, It means nothing.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
+1 to IB for the PS there. Especially when you add in the layer of android being open source meaning that there is no knowing what things users have added, modded or deleted unless you have never added an app, or changed a setting, and your tablet is completely stock there will always be the chance that the manufacturers update may cause something to break, stop working or work abnormally.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Speaking of things added/modded by manufacturers....

I was just surfing AlogCat today and noticed that Acer has farmed out updates to FutureDial, and its FutureDial that is running on the machine when you check for updates. (Start AlogCat, clear your log, Check for Updates, and jump back into AlogCat. You will see a big stream of messages from FutureDial).

This is a third party update push service, (its actually pull, it checks once per day for updates unless you ask it to check again). Lots of companies use Google to push updates, but apparently that is getting too expensive or too crowded.

FutrueDial is a hard company to get a good handle on. They have a few android apps, but other than that its pretty nebulous just what the hell they really do.

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
Yea, figures the tobacco growers would be first in the US.
Thanks for the update.
I hope all our updates go smoothly since I've seen some reports otherwise.
Keep us updated as to how it performs, what's better and what's not.

Been playing with it for a couple of hours now and so far it is all good.

Couple of things you notice right away is the touch screen operation seems to be much smoother. Mine also wakes up super fast from hibernation mode. You now get a little "SD Card Installed" icon in the notification bar when you boot up.

Sewal46

Sep 16, 2011
There have been reports of Wi-Fi issues from users updated earlier in the Asia-Pacific region. My tablet updated on Sept 17. Wi-Fi drops out and has to be turned off then back on after 3 or minutes. On the plus side, can now read USB drives in NTSB format. I'm in Australia.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

iamtek7

Sep 9, 2011
On a lighter note.... I didn't know that the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) [sic] had their own flavor of a file system for Australia!!! :p

iamtek7

Sep 9, 2011
There have been reports of Wi-Fi issues from users updated earlier in the Asia-Pacific region. My tablet updated on Sept 17. Wi-Fi drops out and has to be turned off then back on after 3 or minutes. On the plus side, can now read USB drives in NTSB format. I'm in Australia.

On a lighter note.... I didn't know that the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) [sic] had their own flavor of a file system for Australia!!! :p

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
One cool thing is an auto-zoom, so apps designed for older phones will now fill the screen. One App I recently got was a real pain ("Delete" button was microscopically close to the "Next" button), and now the controls are usable.

And I've had two instances since yesterday's update, where the Wifi "Looping Bug" would have usually happened (requiring a reset of Wifi), and it didn't happen. One Hotspot with real a real bad signal is still fading out, though. I guess it has a bad signal. :p

The bad news: The microphone is no different, so it's still about half as loud as I'd like, and has terrible sound artifacts when recording louder sounds. Maybe my A500's defective. I've used an external mic, and had limited success with that, so I'm kinda hoping the Update didn't screw it up.

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
I've been getting the WiFi connect problem on 3.1 for weeks. It keeps looping on "obtaining IP address".
- Conrad