My Acer Iconia Tab A100 Full Review!

yanksrock1000

Jan 2, 2012
Hey Guys, Ive had my Acer Iconia tab a100 for a month now, and I thought it was time for a review! I made a review, and talk about the good and bads and basics of the tablet. I Hope you guys like it! I really enjoy the tablet, especially at the $250 price tag. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
Excellent information.

I'm looking at this tablet as a replacement for my Huawei IDEOS S7. I do have some questions I hope you can help answer :D
1. How much space is allocated to software installations? The Huawei had 160MB and to get more required rooting and apps2sd.
2. Is the battery removable/replaceable?

Thanks again!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Honeycomb doesn't really work like Froyo, which, like on my S7, you are likely running on yours. Applications are stored on internal storage, in a sense acting a lot more like a linux or windows PC. One thing to note is you can not store apps on external sd storage with Honeycomb so that is something to consider when you decide which model to buy. I believe the a100 comes with 8 or 16gig, and I would definately get the 16gig model.
The battery on the a100 is not replaceable and is one of the weak points of the device. After dealing with the short life of the S7 this really concerned me, but if the battery life of the S7 (and I know at least with the S7 you can swap the battery out) wasn't of great concern to you then this should be ok. I hear people get about 4 hours mixed use.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
Funny... I had the s7 too. The last model... Was it called "hd"? Anyway... That thing lasted about 5 months before self destructing. Piece of of **** hardware wise. But froyo worked nicely on the tab.
A100 works great. I have the 8gb version. No major complaints.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Funny... I had the s7 too. The last model... Was it called "hd"? Anyway... That thing lasted about 5 months before self destructing. Piece of of **** hardware wise. But froyo worked nicely on the tab.
A100 works great. I have the 8gb version. No major complaints.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Tablet Forum

There were a number of variations of the S7, usually S7 10*, resistive and capacitive models, followed by the S7 Slim, and the current is the Mediapad or whatever the carriers are rebranding it as, no HD that I'm aware of, but who knows? Still, I think Honeycomb is a big improvement over Froyo and Gingerbread for tablets.
Loved modding the S7 though, learned a lot and had a lot of fun.
Sent from a Gibson using Tapatalk - heavy metal edition

mamawm

Dec 24, 2011
to the op, i enjoyed your review of the a100. and i agree, it's a great little tablet, just wish it had more exposure. maybe your review will help it get noticed.

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
@ Tom T, thanks for the information. I am running a custom Froyo rom on my S7, with app2sd on a 1gb partition. I'm not especially app heavy, so trying to weigh the 16GB over the 8GB, when I really prefer the 7" size over the 10", I'll probably go with the 7" 8GB model.

I do want to be able to watch Netflix, listen to music, browse the web with flash support, plus all the regular daily things like email, facebook, etc. If there are any other limitations or oddities about the A100, or any known issues or software glitches, throw them out here.

Thanks again!

LoveJC03

Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for posting your review. I will be getting this tablet in about a week and I'm really excited about.. even more that someone gave a good review of it. Some of the reviews on youtube aren't really that good. I'll be getting mine "site to store" from walmart for $249 :D

yanksrock1000

Jan 2, 2012
Thanks for posting your review. I will be getting this tablet in about a week and I'm really excited about.. even more that someone gave a good review of it. Some of the reviews on youtube aren't really that good. I'll be getting mine "site to store" from walmart for $249 :D

I'm sure you you will enjoy it! :) Its great! $249 for an awesome tablet it always nice :)

LoveJC03

Jan 11, 2012
I'm sure you you will enjoy it! :) Its great! $249 for an awesome tablet it always nice :)

Well.. I wanted to get it to enjoy, but it's unavailable at my Walmart or any near me & also I found it at Best Buy for $259 but unfortunately it's unavailable too!!! All the ones I found on Ebay and Amazon were over $300 and any I found under that price were from websites that I've never heard of. :( Needless to say, I won't be getting the Acer afterall!

I almost purchased one from Ebay last night but it was used and I began to look around again. I did buy a brand new HTC Evo View for $283 off of Ebay and it will be here this week. It's very nice.. comes with 32gb internal but not honeycomb. I think the HTC devices are good though. I had my sites set on the Acer.. but I'm sure this one will be great.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Well.. I wanted to get it to enjoy, but it's unavailable at my Walmart or any near me & also I found it at Best Buy for $259 but unfortunately it's unavailable too!!! All the ones I found on Ebay and Amazon were over $300 and any I found under that price were from websites that I've never heard of. :( Needless to say, I won't be getting the Acer afterall!

I almost purchased one from Ebay last night but it was used and I began to look around again. I did buy a brand new HTC Evo View for $283 off of Ebay and it will be here this week. It's very nice.. comes with 32gb internal but not honeycomb. I think the HTC devices are good though. I had my sites set on the Acer.. but I'm sure this one will be great.

I think there is an official Honeycomb upgrade to the HTV View, which I think is the 3g version of the HTC Flyer (?).
BTW I've played with the Flyer and it is a fast capable machine, and like the View, has a buit in digitizer for use with a special stylus that makes writing on the screen much better than a plain old capacitive screen. You probably made a pretty good choice, especially given the price.

Last edited:

LoveJC03

Jan 11, 2012
I think there is an official Honeycomb upgrade to the HTV View, which I think is the 3g version of the HTC Flyer (?).
BTW I've played with the Flyer and it is a fast capable machine, and like the View, has a buit in digitizer for use with a special stylus that makes writing on the screen much better than a plain old capacitive screen. You probably made a pretty good choice, especially given the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120851373697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
HTC Evo View Wifi + 4g ..that's what the title says. I will be just using it on Wifi. I hope it does get an update to atleast honeycomb :) I did see that for a limited time I guess they give you the stylus/pen but I'm not sure if the one I ordered has one. I was originally going for the Acer Iconia A100, but due to it not being at my stores for $249-$259 and being online for $300+, I decided to find a different one. I hope I made a good choice!

yanksrock1000

Jan 2, 2012
HTC Evo View Wifi + 4g ..that's what the title says. I will be just using it on Wifi. I hope it does get an update to atleast honeycomb :) I did see that for a limited time I guess they give you the stylus/pen but I'm not sure if the one I ordered has one. I was originally going for the Acer Iconia A100, but due to it not being at my stores for $249-$259 and being online for $300+, I decided to find a different one. I hope I made a good choice!

Im sure it will be fine! Acer and HTC both make really good devices :)

BWM1974

Feb 4, 2012
To: LoveJC03. Go back and check at your local Best Buy again. Mine here in Alabama had been out of stock for almost a month but just got 6 in store yesterday. I jumped on one. Also, even if your store doesn't have one in stock, check with Customer Service and they can probably order one for you for store pickup. As of yesterday, you still can't order them online yourself, but he stor can.

yanksrock1000

Jan 2, 2012
I went to best buy today, and they still had some display ones....so Im guessing they have some there still :)