My company blocks Androids from net, citing lack of encryption support

Vtabber

Nov 23, 2011
I had been reading work emails on my Galaxy Player 5 until I was migrated to a new server that denies me access via Webmail or Outlook app. They say it's because, unlike the iPhone/Pad/Touch, Android doesn't support the kind of security and encryption protocols that my company requires on remote devices, including the ability to destroy data on those devices. Can anyone explain this, and is it a device/manufacturer issue or a general Android OS issue, and is it likely to change in the near future?
Don't wanna go back to my iPod Touch!!!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like a generic response by your company but they have a valid concern. Each company has its own policies but generally speaking you Android isn't shipping with enterprise security as a default. Right now it depends on the OEM such as the Motorola Atrix and Atrix 2. In the article below Motorola just acquired a company founded by ex-Googlers working on it and in turn Google is acquiring Motorola, so who knows.

Technology News: Security: Enterprise Security System Puts Android Under Lock and Key

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Valid reason but bunk excuse since apple products are allowed. Brother works in an it department and all no PC's are banned from company networks due to lack of enterprise level security. Also said ios and android based devices, included phones are forbidden on the network. So everyone was issued blackberries. From what he said as soon as someone releases a tab with enterprise security there were going to get almost all there employees one.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Vtabber

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, guys, that's helpful. For now, I guess I have to carry my iPod Touch as well just to get work email! Rats.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, here is a statement from a company who has a BYOD and I am in Security. The Android and iOS units are forbidden unless they have an MDM app loaded. THis is a (Mobile Device Management) app such as Good or MobileIron. THis is provided by the company. It sandboxes mail into a protected location. There are numerous reasons for this. But the basic issue is your device is an uncontrolled device. The MDM protects the company data and can be revoked if your device is stolen or if you leave.