My criteria for a good Tablet

Natey2

May 25, 2012
My criteria for a good Tablet,
7/7/2012:

Must have:
Android 4.0.3 or newer pre-installed.
Google Play pre-installed by Manufacturer.
Run latest Netflix downloaded from Google Play, not some hacked-up version of Netflix.
Be easily root-able, not a 50-step process to hack and root.
Have USB driver available from Manufacturer to allow Android SDK to access it as a device.
Pass a significantly high percentage of Google's CTS tests.
History of Manufacturer delivering software update(s) to customers, via their website.
Android standard screenshot works (Power + Volume-down ?).
Easy to get into stock recovery via key-combination on boot.
English docs that are available and accurate.
ClockWork Mod Recovery available, to allow nandroid backups.

Nice to have:
Large user base.
Good support from Manufacturer.
Device charging via USB port as well as power adapter.
Not too expensive (subjective).
Removable micro-SD card.
7" size.
Easy and inexpensive product return process (i.e. none of that $100 return-shipping cost BS).

Nexus 7 tablet is pretty close. Any other tablet meet all of the above criteria?

Last edited:

asingh786

Jul 7, 2012
I was thinking of getting a china tablet, but I'm starting to consider other options as well. I honestly don't want to spend hours rooting and playing with my device to get the basic stuff wroking. Look at this:

Unsupported Browser

Acer ICONIA A100 TAB A Series 7" Android Tablet w/ 8GB Storage, 1GB RAM, WiFi | eBay

The first one is only 250$, much better specs than Aurora 2 and you could always return it. It has honeycomb 3.2, but I don't see why someone couldn't upgrade it. I don't know but after seeing this and a few other tablets, I'm starting to feel that the tab prices are coming down and it may be smarter to wait a little bit. Chinese tablets also may have to bring their prices down.

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
THe A100 for $140 shipped is a CRAZY deal. Nothing else in that price range even begins to come close. I love mine. It was the easiest Android device I have ever rooted too.

asingh786

Jul 7, 2012
http://1saleaday.com/

toshiba thrive (refurb) for 215$

Specs:
  • 1GHz Dual-Core Mobile Processor
  • 1GB NVIDIA GeForce Video
  • 10.1" LED Backlit (1280x800) w/ Capacitive Multi-touch
  • 16GB Internal Storage
  • 5MP Camera
  • WiFi N + Bluetooth 3.0
  • Inputs/Outputs: