My daughter (16) wants a tablet for her birthday in two weeks, suggestions?

tbporr

Jan 14, 2012
I bought a touchpad for myself, for christmas, she loves it, (since I installed andriod) but since it's discontinued I'd like to get her a different one, I've been looking around and the xoom looks good, I like the durable case and the flash for the camera those are just the things that stand out, but cnet didn't give it good ratings, not that I really care about reviews I'd rather hear from owners, Just tell me if i'm looking in the right direction or should i be looking at samsung or asus or even acer a little harder?

Vagrent

Sep 28, 2011
The Acer iconia A500 would be a good pick.I have had mine for about 6 months now and love it.Camera has an led flash,the Acer also comes with a full size USB port,micro USB,micro hdmi port and a micro sd/hc card slot.Build quality is very good with a
brushed aluminum back and the screen uses gorilla glass.Hope this helps...

tbporr

Jan 14, 2012
That one was at the top of my list I just hadn't went out to look at one, thanks for the heads up, I will now for sure.

J

jimbo7630

Just a thought, 16 year old? no doubt she will want to watch videos? Ice Cream Sandwich can't yet handle Flash AFAIK, might be better to either wait until Google sorts it out (if the birthday is not imminent) OR drop down to a Honeycomb O/S.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
I bought a touchpad for myself, for christmas, she loves it, (since I installed andriod) but since it's discontinued I'd like to get her a different one, I've been looking around and the xoom looks good, I like the durable case and the flash for the camera those are just the things that stand out, but cnet didn't give it good ratings, not that I really care about reviews I'd rather hear from owners, Just tell me if i'm looking in the right direction or should i be looking at samsung or asus or even acer a little harder?

Hi, tbporr. maybe you can also take a look at the ainol tablets, like the newest Ainol Novo 7 Elf(fiv-point capacitive screen), and Ainol Novo 7 Aurora (IPS capacitive touch scren), both with the newest android 4.0 ICS and high resolution (1024 x 600).
maybe they're exactly what you want! enjoy!:)

Rodwerx

Jan 15, 2012
Target sells A500 if you are looking for local retail.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Tablet Forum

sinisterwill

Sep 8, 2011
I went with the Acer Iconia and couldn't be happier I purchased it at BestBuy rather than Target or Walmart mostly because of the added protection plans they have including accidental so is anything were to happen to it like a the screen cracking due to a drop or almost any type of damage. I can take it back and walk out with a brand new one. Coverage costs a little more but it's well worth it if you don't wanna have to dish out another few hundred because someone happened to place it on an unstable surface.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

scifiholly

Jan 16, 2012
I went with the Acer Iconia and couldn't be happier I purchased it at BestBuy rather than Target or Walmart mostly because of the added protection plans they have including accidental so is anything were to happen to it like a the screen cracking due to a drop or almost any type of damage. I can take it back and walk out with a brand new one. Coverage costs a little more but it's well worth it if you don't wanna have to dish out another few hundred because someone happened to place it on an unstable surface.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

seriously, your best buy will cover the glass breaking? Mine didn't :( (poor poor tablet) stupid Canada best buy grrrrr