My experience setting up my new Nook Color

csrabear

Dec 25, 2010
You can still sideload books from your PC in the usual manner. I just created a new shelf and sideloaded all the classics I had downloaded from feedbooks.com. No problem.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You can still sideload books from your PC in the usual manner. I just created a new shelf and sideloaded all the classics I had downloaded from feedbooks.com. No problem.
If anyone is interested and rooted, I can also post some screenshots of how to move books from the SD card over to the NC internal memory, where they will automatically show up in the Library (no navigating needed). I was also hoping that books moved to this location could be added to the NC desktop (with all those nice pictures of covers) but it turned out--with my copies anyway--not to be an option. Still they are more accessible now.

-Matt

rmr

Dec 4, 2010
Hi, and welcome to the forums.
1. Yes
2. Yes, but it would require a full factory reset which would wipe everything out. You might be able to restore your books from your B&N account.
3. Yes, but Market doesnt seem to return full results yet - using AppBrain seems to result in more.
4. I believe so.

Maybe someone else can confirm these as I haven't really used things on the B&N side.

Thanks for the info= I'm thinking to taking the root plunge myself.

pez

Dec 25, 2010
I agree, you'll thank yourself for doing it!!! Makes the nc a totally sweet/cheap tablet

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks All for the help and direction to ROOT my NC. I have had it for about 3-4 days now (cant remember, got a bit of cabin fever since we had the 14 1/2 inches of snow in VIRGINIA BEACH!) I have purchased a few books, side loaded more and downloaded apps from the Market. The only thing that does not work is the YouTude app. The original that came on the NC before rooting worked now the screen flashes and goes back to the menu. Any ideas anyone?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Howdy! If you have the NookColor Tools installed, try this: NookColor Tools -> All Settings -> Manage applications. Next, scroll down to the Youtube app, select it, and press the Clear cache and Clear defaults buttons.

Then navigate back out to your app tray, run Youtube, and see if it works!

-Matt

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
Thanks Matt for the help, I went to Nook Color Tools, but I did not see a YouTube app (although there is one an app for it) There is no back button. and now I cant go back without rebooting it.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Matt for the help, I went to Nook Color Tools, but I did not see a YouTube app (although there is one an app for it) There is no back button. and now I cant go back without rebooting it.
OK, great, you've got the tools! :)

(1) Hidden trick: to go back, quickly swipe your finger (on the bottom of the display) from the corner with the clock toward the opposite (left) corner.

(2) Once in NookColor Tools, go to All Settings, then select Manage Applications. You'll find Youtube in the Manage Applications section.

-Matt

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
I think the market is working right...I have downloaded several apps. Just did a search for the youtube app and there is not one (in the market) i came up with a easy youtube downloader app

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hmmm, well what I would do is go into /system/apps with a file manager that has root access, like Root Explorer, and see if you can find the Youtube apk. I did that last night with another program that wasn't functioning correctly and when I clicked on it, I selected "install" and that fixed everything.

Another option is to find another app with an app manager, which will allow you to view all the apps that are installed.

Third, from your PC you might rename (or delete) the Youtube apk and try an ADB command-line installation of a downloaded copy (easy to find with google search).

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
I appreciate everyone's help rooting my wife's NC. The posts here and nookdevs have been instrumental. It was very successful and now I am going to root my parents. I do have a couple of questions.

When charging a rooted NC does the led on the cord change colors to green?

Is there a better contact/address book app than what is on the NC? The current one doesn't sync with google nor does it have all contact info.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I appreciate everyone's help rooting my wife's NC. The posts here and nookdevs have been instrumental. It was very successful and now I am going to root my parents. I do have a couple of questions.

When charging a rooted NC does the led on the cord change colors to green?

Is there a better contact/address book app than what is on the NC? The current one doesn't sync with google nor does it have all contact info.
Awesome! Wish there were a way to hi-five, or break open a bottle of champagne on the forum. ;)

Cord color...yep, I think it changes to green (or turns off?). I'll have to double-check.

Contact app...lots of discussion about this on XDA. Verified at this point that things don't sync with the built-in app. I've seen several suggest 3rd party solutions, but I don't know if they'd sync with a gmail account. You'd figure they do, though, right? Guess I'm no hurry to give strangers my gmail password...

-Matt