My experience setting up my new Nook Color

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
I can't find away to back out of Facebook apps pictures......let me know if you find a way.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Awesome. My wife asked me about videos......I said I think so. Where do you get your videos from? Can I buy and download or load them....how does that work?

I have not tried button savior yet. that sounds like a better solution.

BTW, my Christmas present was logitech revue/google tv. I haven't decided if i like it or not.
Funny, we have DishNetwork and I was tempted to get the Logitech box. Guess I'll wait a bit.

Here is my recommendation on videos:

(1) Download DVDShrink (dvdshrink.org: FREE Backup Solution for your DVD movies!) which is a quick and easy way to create backups of your DVDs. Takes about 15 minutes to rip a disk.

(2) When done, convert to MP4 with Handbrake (HandBrake) which is a quick and easy way to convert videos for the NC. I can post settings if you give it a try.

My latest experiment was to take HD videos that are on our Dish DVR...I found a nice box for capturing and encoding in H.264 (Amazon.com: Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder: Electronics). Those are too hi-resolution for the NC, but I just found out that Handbrake will convert them to MP4s in realtime. So I can set up a dozen in batch mode on the computer and the next day they're done.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I can't find away to back out of Facebook apps pictures......let me know if you find a way.
OK, now I'm repeating myself! ;) Touch the photo, select "Share" which will not work, and you'll be taken back to the album. At least, that's how I do it.

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
Unfortunately "share" isn't working when i hold and press a picture on a Facebook app picture.

I am auto rooted and using zeam....

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Unfortunately "share" isn't working when i hold and press a picture on a Facebook app picture.
Doesn't sound like we're on the same page. You "tap" (not hold and press) the picture..and three icons pop up: Set as, Share, and Comment, right? You ever-so-lovingly touch the Share button, it briefly changes color, and then a "Processing" box pop up...the screen goes white, and then voila, back to the album? It's not doing that? Can you describe what happens?

Either way, give Button Savior a try. You'll get a teeny weeny persistent icon that stays on the top of all windows, and brings up a menu including back! :)

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
No, when I tap the picture left and right arrows come up. Also a comment in the top right and the zoom (+/-) bottom center.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
No, when I tap the picture left and right arrows come up. Also a comment in the top right and the zoom (+/-) bottom center.
Hmmm, interesting. I get the Comment button first, and then after a moment Set as and Share appear. Strange.

Well, I read this today...it's retarded (pardon my slang) but it gets the job done: select Comment instead, and when it switches screens, look for the Back button (in the notification bar) and TAP IT QUICKLY, TWICE!!! LOL...it works.

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
You are the man. It worked.....I hope I can explain that to my wife. Let the Devs know.

I truly appreciate all your help.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OMG that is so lame. ;) I'm embarrassed I told you...it's like one step above voodoo. Please tell your wife you had a dream or read it on a fortune cookie or something!

-Matt

breebauer

Dec 6, 2010
If anyone is interested and rooted, I can also post some screenshots of how to move books from the SD card over to the NC internal memory, where they will automatically show up in the Library (no navigating needed). I was also hoping that books moved to this location could be added to the NC desktop (with all those nice pictures of covers) but it turned out--with my copies anyway--not to be an option. Still they are more accessible now.

-Matt

I'm interested!!!

Do you know how to move your books to the 'books' part of the library?

I'm only able to move my books to the 'my files' part of the library, but I'd rather have them in 'books'.

When I plug in and use calibre, eveything goes into 'books', but when I use the calibre wireless server they go to 'my files'.... (annoying)

Thanks!!!

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Awesome, thanks for the tip for going back....still no YouTube app in the nookcolor settings

I had the same problem - its being filtered out. Press the menu button while the list of apps is displayed and then press "Filter" and set it to "All". Youtube will then be in the list.

Sent from my NOOKcolor

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I had the same problem - its being filtered out. Press the menu button while the list of apps is displayed and then press "Filter" and set it to "All". Youtube will then be in the list.

Sent from my NOOKcolor
Jack, great tip! Long time no see.

Actually, I'm a little mad at you. Seems I can't do little repairs around the house without saying to myself, "Oh NOES!" :mad::p:rolleyes::eek::confused: Sticky little phrase....

-Matt

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
jack, great tip! Long time no see.

Actually, i'm a little mad at you. Seems i can't do little repairs around the house without saying to myself, "oh noes!" :mad::p:rolleyes::eek::confused: Sticky little phrase....

-matt

:eek::D:cool:

Last edited: