My Initial Lenovo A1 Setup: Kid focused

ChrisB

Dec 11, 2011
Hi all. I'm setting up 2 Lenovo A1's for my kids. I know that several of my friends are considering tablets and I thought I would document what I'm doing and installing as a reference. I thought I would share it here and see if it is useful to anyone. Feel free to post replies with any ideas or constructive comments.

Please note: This is a work in progress. I'll be updating the page as I go along. I got to a good stopping point last night, but will be continuing tonight.

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisbrowningshome/home/tablets/lenovo_a1_setup

Warning: I don't claim to be an expert at Android or the A1. I am pretty new to Android and tablets, but I have a long history in technology.

If anyone has a good recommendation for a launch app replacement, that starts at power on (immediately goes into the "locked down" mode, please let me know. I have tried several, but most of them are in the mode of something you launch temporarily while your kid is using an adult's device.

Chris

ChrisB

Dec 11, 2011
I have updated the guide above with a pretty detailed section on locking down the tablet for kids. This includes setting up app restrictions, new launcher and configuration, and other kid-focused setup. Comments welcome.

bzeemomof4

May 23, 2011
Thanks for the great suggestions, just setting up Coby Kyros 7022 tablets for my 4 year old twins - very helpful post - I found a launcher Kids Place at the Amazon App store that looks like you can set up at boot. Also found another post about rooting the tablets and installing superuser so you can disable phone.apk & telephony.apk to improve battery life. Seems tablets will search for phone service and that drains the battery more quickly. Thank you for the guide!