My Nook is suddenly falling apart!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I've had no issues with my Nook. Today I took it off the charger and it just started falling apart. First I keep getting FCs for ADW Launcher (I tap wait and all is fine). Then Market told me I had a ton of updates. I went to update and my Nook froze 3 times. I cleared the cache and data for the Market and it didn't help. Then my WiFi (which automatically disabled everytime I reboot-infuriates me but nothing I've tried fixes it) decided it couldn't find any networks nearby. I had to go into Settings and turn my WiFi off and back on to fix it. Finally got everything updated. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I did download one new app yesterday (Comixology) but I haven't used it at all today. My battery seems to be wonky too-when I took it off the charger it read 95%. It's possible the charger came unplugged though. After updating 19 apps and being rebooted 4 times, it's down to 88%. Does that seem normal? Anyone have any idea what the problem could be with the lock ups and such?

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
I've had mass updates before,, but never that many. I had Comixology on my TF and it caused freeze ups and force closures so I deleted it. Even after that I had to reset my TF to factory defaults ad reload my apps, Comixology wasn't reloaded. I'm not sure yet what happened. But it seemed like this app was the cause of my problem. I loaded it with no problems. But when I actually tried to use a couple of days later all heck broke loose. So far the only app I had trouble with on my Nook was drawing pad. But after I deleted and reinstalled it worked fine. Neat app by the way.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Software-wise, mine's doing okay. ADW does seem to FC a lot, as does SlackerRadio. My screen, however, is completely worthless about the width of a finger from the edge, and it seems to have developed a crack in the center though it has never been dropped. Was thinking of taking it back for a warranty fix today.

derelict

Mar 2, 2011
I've had a similar issue, but was never able to figure out why mine would freeze or require massive updates. I think I had it tell me I needed more than 80 updates one day. My nook was getting really sluggish and was developing all kinds of issues such as random freezing, then I could not reboot without freezing unless I deleted the cache and dalvik cash before rebooting.

I attribute all of this to the fact that I have been installing so many apps, and I have no idea which ones were causing issues. While this is not scientific, I ended up doing the following:

1) Back up all my apps and data using Titanium
2) Made apk backups of the apps using File Expert
3) went into CWM and did a return to factory wipe...

I then went back and started with a fresh install. Installed Titanium first, then started to restore the apps I really wanted. I had to re-set up my desktops, but my machine is snappy and responsive again!