My Tab can't see 5 ghz networks

cgonzalez

Jul 30, 2012
I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 2 (GT P5113) and it can't see my 5Ghz network, only2.4Ghz networks. It's strange because my Galaxy S3 can see and access both of them. My Tab runs Android 4.1.1. My router is a Linksys E2500. Any suggestion??? Thanks.

cgonzalez

Jul 30, 2012
Samsung says that the GT-P5113 can see 5 Ghz networks and they think that I have a problem with my router. I don't think so.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That may be the case. I have a link below with some suggestions re: WiFi problems but a quick search of Google brought up more problems with your model being able to see 5GHz than I could count. I did not see a solution anywhere.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Samsung says that the GT-P5113 can see 5 Ghz networks and they think that I have a problem with my router. I don't think so.
You can't really trust anything Samsung tech. support people say. IME they're generally pretty clueless.

From my research (which has been by no means "in depth"), it would appear 5GHz WiFi was dropped in the Tab 2 series. The Tab 2s, in many respects, were a downgrade, almost, from their precedessors, so it would not surprise me if this was true.

Jim

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
You c.1 ally trust anything Samsung tech. support people say. IME they're generally pretty clueless.

From my research (which has been by no means "in depth"), it would appear 5GHz WiFi was dropped in the Tab 2 series. The Tab 2s, in many respects, were a downgrade, almost, from their precedessors, so it would not surprise me if this was true.

Jim

Actually I believe that Tab 2 10.1 can see 5.8GHz. The Note 10.1 does and it was a hard choice for me btw these 2 tablets. Problem, I believe is similar to what I'm experiencing, I have 2 networks, 2.4 GHz internet DHCP and the other is 5.8 GHz no internet static IP. I've had to turn OFF the WMM, unhide, fixed IP, MAC Address, and still have issues connecting -keeps going back to the 2.4 GHz.

Just a thought.

Checking some of my facts. 802.11n is 5GHz -not 5.8 as I thought. Tab 2 10.1 is 802.11b/g/n capable just like the NOTE 10.1. Check the specs. b and g is 2.4GHz, while n is 5GHz. 60GHz also falls under 802.11/n banner.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Tab 2 10.1 is 802.11b/g/n capable just like the NOTE 10.1..
Yes, I know, but...

Check the specs. b and g is 2.4GHz, while n is 5GHz.
Incorrect. 802.11n operates on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. So saying a device is wireless-N capable says nothing about which band(s) in which it operates.

Here's another dirty little secret: Unless the device actually has multiple antennas (on each band in which it operates), and the chipset to support them (and, or course, the AP/router does, too), you'll never realize any 802.11n benefits.

I have only 802.11a/b/g at home. Neither our Samsung TV nor the Samsung Tab 2's see the 5GHz network. But that may be because it's 802.11a, rather than 802.11n. Maybe I'll bring mine into work, some day, to see if it can see the 5GHz 802.11n WiFi network here. (I'm guessing it won't, but we'll see.)

Jim

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
As far as I know, 802.11a is only 5GHz and not 2.4GHz. a is quite old and as far as I'm aware most of the modern wireless modems/routers are n supporting. The earlier types did b & g and it was difficult to get a 5GHz wireless router/switch/modem. And you are right about most wireless devices.

Dual band APs can allow the use of both bands simultaneously to increase the baud rate from 150 to 300. Currently there are several multi -band APs on the market allowing even greater speeds. But are the wireless devices capable?

Addition:

Actually I had just looked up 802.11n in my original post, it did say 5GHz for n. But I didn't consider the Dual Band capabilities where, as you correctly stated, n can use 2.4 & 5GHz. b & g used 2.4Ghz - I remember doing my homework just before purchasing my first wireless modem/router (b/g/n).

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
As far as I know, 802.11a is only 5GHz and not 2.4GHz.
That is correct.

a is quite old and as far as I'm aware most of the modern wireless modems/routers are n supporting.
Same age as 802.11b, I believe.

The earlier types did b & g and it was difficult to get a 5GHz wireless router/switch/modem.
Not difficult, so much as more expensive. Most people didn't see the need.

Dual band APs can allow the use of both bands simultaneously ...
I don't believe there's anything in the WiFi specifications to support such a mode. Any such operation would have to be supported in each device's IP stack, TTBOMK.

Btw: I brought my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to work. Three of the APs are brand-spankin'-new, top-of-the-line NetGear ProSafe dual-band, wireless-a/b/g/n with MIMO on N. The tablet did not see them. I conclude the Tab 2 does not support 5GHz WiFi.

Jim

Last edited: