My take on the MID 7127, and why it is a GREAT buy

MarkHill

Dec 15, 2011
*As with any other discussion of rooting, try at your own risk*
Just purchased a MID 7127 from Amazon for $168 with free shipping. I have to say I am very impressed with this tablet. It is gift, but I wanted to tweak it out a bit before the holidays. This is only the second Android device I have used, I own a Optimus V myself.

The first thing I did was install the Amazon marketplace. Tons of great free apps, and I was able to install all of the free "paid apps of the day" I have on my Optimus. The next thing I did was root the tablet using superoneclick. My Windows 7 pc installed all of the needed drivers except for one, but that missing one is included in superoneclick. After I had root access I installed a 2gb micro SD card I had lying around. I powered down the tablet, and removed the card. Using Minitool partition wizard, I created a second primary partion formatted with FAT32 at around 512mb. I installed LINK2SD to move all of the bigger apps I intended on installing. I then used this method to install Gmail, and the Android marketplace: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/17460-got-market-working-7022-without-rooting.html

N
ow for the fun part. Installed google voice and GrooveIP. Tweaked the speaker and mic settings and it can make calls over WIFI very well. Installed Angry Birds, Nook, Kindle, Dolphin HD, Skyfire, Youtube, Krazy Kart Racing(free on getjar), and all of the other usual suspects. Installed Dungeon Defenders and it plays the game perfectly, and this game is no slouch having been made with the Unreal 3 engine. Next was N64oid. Installed about 20 fully working games. The N64 games play almost as good as the original console, and the controls are great. Remember, only install games that you own an original copy of. Found the OnLive client online and installed it. If you are not familiar with it, it is a service that lets you stream console quality games to your pc or tablet. It was just released on Android on Dec 7th. I was seriously playing Dirt 3 on this tablet about an hour ago.

To summarize. I was originally intending to buy the Kindle Fire, but ultimaetly the lack of an SD card slot and HDMI out made me decide for the Kyros. The Android Market that I have installed is the older version, but I have learned to work with it. The search function does not work, but if you use the "Similar Titles" tab, you can bounce around and find just about any app. I will probably look into installing the newer market app in the future, but for now I think it works just fine. The tablet comes with Flash Player 10.3 out of the box. I am considering installing 11 at some point in the future also. The screen is vibrant and responsive. The multi touch works perfectly. The sound is more than adequate. It is going to absolutely kill me to have to fork this thing over in 10 days...

Dec 12, 2011
I agree. I'm totally new to tablets, but I have an android phone so I can get around well in the OS.
This is a gift, for me, but since I am the one wrapping the gifts, I play with it a little each day, tweeking
and getting it ready to 'open' on the big day.
I used Daprostpecta youtube viedo and installed the Market, I've been playing with Zombify for about
an hour. It doesn't take much to keep me happy.

LiquidFire187

Dec 5, 2011
*As with any other discussion of rooting, try at your own risk*
Just purchased a MID 7127 from Amazon for $168 with free shipping. I have to say I am very impressed with this tablet. It is gift, but I wanted to tweak it out a bit before the holidays. This is only the second Android device I have used, I own a Optimus V myself.

The first thing I did was install the Amazon marketplace. Tons of great free apps, and I was able to install all of the free "paid apps of the day" I have on my Optimus. The next thing I did was root the tablet using superoneclick. My Windows 7 pc installed all of the needed drivers except for one, but that missing one is included in superoneclick. After I had root access I installed a 2gb micro SD card I had lying around. I powered down the tablet, and removed the card. Using Minitool partition wizard, I created a second primary partion formatted with FAT32 at around 512mb. I installed LINK2SD to move all of the bigger apps I intended on installing. I then used this method to install Gmail, and the Android marketplace: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/17460-got-market-working-7022-without-rooting.html

N
ow for the fun part. Installed google voice and GrooveIP. Tweaked the speaker and mic settings and it can make calls over WIFI very well. Installed Angry Birds, Nook, Kindle, Dolphin HD, Skyfire, Youtube, Krazy Kart Racing(free on getjar), and all of the other usual suspects. Installed Dungeon Defenders and it plays the game perfectly, and this game is no slouch having been made with the Unreal 3 engine. Next was N64oid. Installed about 20 fully working games. The N64 games play almost as good as the original console, and the controls are great. Remember, only install games that you own an original copy of. Found the OnLive client online and installed it. If you are not familiar with it, it is a service that lets you stream console quality games to your pc or tablet. It was just released on Android on Dec 7th. I was seriously playing Dirt 3 on this tablet about an hour ago.

To summarize. I was originally intending to buy the Kindle Fire, but ultimaetly the lack of an SD card slot and HDMI out made me decide for the Kyros. The Android Market that I have installed is the older version, but I have learned to work with it. The search function does not work, but if you use the "Similar Titles" tab, you can bounce around and find just about any app. I will probably look into installing the newer market app in the future, but for now I think it works just fine. The tablet comes with Flash Player 10.3 out of the box. I am considering installing 11 at some point in the future also. The screen is vibrant and responsive. The multi touch works perfectly. The sound is more than adequate. It is going to absolutely kill me to have to fork this thing over in 10 days...

Thanks for your insight MarkHill! I will be getting one of these very soon and i'm glad to hear it is a very enjoyable tablet to play around with :).

norcaljim

Dec 20, 2011
I am totally new to the android system and purchased the 7127. I have tried the install market going to the thread you noted. I cannot figure out how to unzip the downloaded file that was needed. Again, total novice to this system, any advice? Can you explain to a non techy why and what exactly you did when you said "After I had root access I installed a 2gb micro SD card I had lying around. I powered down the tablet, and removed the card. Using Minitool partition wizard, I created a second primary partion formatted with FAT32 at around 512mb. I installed LINK2SD to move all of the bigger apps I intended on installing." I am a little leary of rooting the thing, it is a gift and I know that voids the warranty. Can you provide any reassurance? Thanks

fit4ugolf

Dec 14, 2011
I am totally new to the android system and purchased the 7127. I have tried the install market going to the thread you noted. I cannot figure out how to unzip the downloaded file that was needed. Again, total novice to this system, any advice? Can you explain to a non techy why and what exactly you did when you said "After I had root access I installed a 2gb micro SD card I had lying around. I powered down the tablet, and removed the card. Using Minitool partition wizard, I created a second primary partion formatted with FAT32 at around 512mb. I installed LINK2SD to move all of the bigger apps I intended on installing." I am a little leary of rooting the thing, it is a gift and I know that voids the warranty. Can you provide any reassurance? Thanks

I got the 7127 for my son and the 8127 for my daughter for christmas. I have rooted, installed the market on both. I have not gone through the links2sd yet. I don't see the purpose. 512mb is enough space on on my Droid Incredible with 200+ apps. On my Dinc and these Tablets, I have move as many of the apps to the SD either using the settings/applications menu or install the app "apps2sd." The only thing that links2sd has over apps2sd is for non-movable apps being able to be moved.

Rooting was super easy...haha. I used superoneclick. Took about 30 seconds.

Installing market was almost as easy, just took 1 min to do so. Download the zip file to your computer and then transfer them to your tablet via the USB cable. Or, unzip the file on your desktop and email them in a folder to yourself. Open your email either via the browser or gmail app. My only issue with the market is many apps are incompatible with the 7127. Many people have been able to change the LCD Density from 200-->160 after rooting and get all apps to install. I have tried that method only to come up empty.

All of my apps are backed up using my phone (titanium backup). I just transferred the backup files to my SD card and installed any/all apps I wanted on the tablet. I have not had any apps not install via this method. Also, for additional market options you could install the Amazon App Market. This will give you a larger app database than the Getjar that comes preinstalled on the device.

BarbaraLK

Dec 22, 2011
I haven't had a lot of time to play but I followed the instructions for adding the market place by daprospector and I keep getting errors either in finding things or installing them. For instance, I can't find the Kindle reader when I search for it but when I goggle it for Android, I find it and am told it is not compatible with my device.

I am at work and can't get wifi so I can't try the suggestion of changing the dpi at this point (I will need to find where it is as I didn't see it under settings). As an IT Tech, I find it frustrating when I can't find what I want immediately. :) My husband, who is a techno-phobe, has the 7022 and I can see I will have to learn both of them so I can support him.

Thanks for a great forum ... I see this will be very helpful!

Barbara

MarkHill

Dec 15, 2011
Back again.

norcaljim - I ended up installing a different version of the market altogether. I was suspicious that it was messing with my home button and a few other things so I un-installed the market version from the link in my first post. I actually did a factory reset too.

I used these files instead, market 3.3.11 - [APK] Android Market 3.3.11 - xda-developers created a folder on my pc called "market" and unzipped the files to this folder. I hooked the 7127 up to the pc via USB and copied this folder onto the tablet. Using ES file explorer I navigated to this folder and installed the apps one at a time. This version of the market has not interfered with any buttons on the tablet, and the search feature works now.

Like others of said, some apps will say "not compatible". You can change the LCD density very easily(and temporarily) to get around this. Download "LCD density" from the market. Change the density to 160 and choose the reboot method "killall". Then click apply. This should temporarily set it to 160 and allow you to install some of those apps.
If not, then you can search for the APK files on slideme.org.

I rooted using superoneclick. I did this primarily for link2sd. There are better guides on how to install this. App2sd is a good program, but will only move some of the information to the sd card, sometimes very little actually. I am installing alot of bigger games on this tablet, and that 512 will fill up very fast using app2sd.

The Kindle app is available on the Amazon market if you cannot get it to download from the Android market.

Last edited:

norcaljim

Dec 20, 2011
Mark
Thanks for the info. I did get the market per the deprospecto guide. Do not like the version at all. I checked out then video posted by "the Kwa" and he installed a version that looks like what is on my phone. My question is do I have to do the factory reset before putting these new files on the tablet and going through the process of installing the market. Can I just uninstall the market I have and then go though the process again with the new files? Clear data before and/or after? Can you download LCD density without rooting? Lastly (for now) can you recommend any antivirus/spyware/?? apps appropriate for the android system?

Thanks again. Jim

SaeMii3N

Dec 17, 2011
For people who live in the North Western part of the United States, these tablets are selling for $130, originally $150 but there's a $30 off coupon. This deal can be found at Fred Meyers, many people my not know of this store, because there are only a few states that have them. Fred Meyers are just like Wal-Mart, but can only be found in states such as Oregon, Washington and Alaska, maybe others states, but I'm not sure. But back on subject, these tablets are selling for $150 but for the season sales, the store is offering $30 off any electronics purchase $150 or more. So anyone who wants one and have a Fred Meyers in their vicinity, hurry before the sales are over, or units run out.

Last edited:

MarkHill

Dec 15, 2011
Mark
Thanks for the info. I did get the market per the deprospecto guide. Do not like the version at all. I checked out then video posted by "the Kwa" and he installed a version that looks like what is on my phone. My question is do I have to do the factory reset before putting these new files on the tablet and going through the process of installing the market. Can I just uninstall the market I have and then go though the process again with the new files? Clear data before and/or after? Can you download LCD density without rooting? Lastly (for now) can you recommend any antivirus/spyware/?? apps appropriate for the android system?

Thanks again. Jim

I was not able to simply uninstall the old market and install the new one. I tried, but I ended up just doing a factory reset. I am not aware of any way to change the LCD density without rooting. Rooting it was probably the easiest thing I did for this tablet actually. One thing to think about is that changing the LCD density isn't always necessary, and some people have reported that even after changing it they still get a "not compatible" message.

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
I'm trying to install link2sd to my 7127 and I get the "not compatible with your device" error, so I can't even do the download. Did you have this problem? Is there a work around?

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
If anyone is interested, Coby Germany has an Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 OS update for the Copy 7022, 7127, 8127, 1125 and 1126. It is a bit of a challenge but I have ICS 4.0.3 running on my MID1126. While the initial install is in German, there is full multilanguage support, including US English. After overcoming a few obstacles, i wouldn't want to revert to GB 2.3.3

As for netflix tey going to www.apktop.com and search for the Netflix 1.6, 1.7 or 1.8 apk. (Netflix 1.7 download) This should get you up and running. There is a bit of an audio delay problem with some of the Coby tablets, but the 7127 (and my other Coby the MID8125) didn't have problems.