Mysterious data loss after reboot--any ideas ?

clinteas

Jul 1, 2011
Hi, Ive just gone through the threads to see if this problem has been mentioned, but it doesn't look like it.
I bought my A500 a week ago, havent rooted or done anything other than installed a file manager. Via USB data transfer (music,pdfs,ebooks,images)from PC to the tab's internal storage card is working fine, and after transfer the files are visible in the file manager on the A500, and can be read/played/viewed.
However.
When I reboot the A500, everything is gone. Poof. Including apps like Firefox, that worked fine after install. Gone without a trace after reboot. All images/songs etc gone from the directories I saved them into.
Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this ?

lizz.zeevi

Jun 29, 2011
anything saved to your microdisc is lost upon shut down/restart. its a known issue and theyre working on a fix. it was suggested to me to remove the disk if i want to shutdown or anticiate a shutdown
hpe this helps you

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
anything saved to your microdisc is lost upon shut down/restart. its a known issue and theyre working on a fix. it was suggested to me to remove the disk if i want to shutdown or anticiate a shutdown
hpe this helps you

You are confusing the internal and external SDcard.

You can't remove the internal sdcard.

USB data transfers only access the internal card, not the external-microsd card.

Internal in this context means built in at manufacture.
External means added by the user in the microsd slot.

@Clinteas: You have a wifi tablet.
Don't use USB, (because Acer's drivers don't support the full range of usb capabilities and just barely work anyway).

Instead, use a file manager that allows you to access shared folders on your PC via wifi, or copy the stuff to a usb thumb drive and then use the file manager to move it to internal storage (or where ever).

USB thumb drives will appear in the directory /mnt/usb_storage (not /sdcard/mnt/usb_storage, remember to go up a directory level).

clinteas

Jul 1, 2011
Icebike,
yes I know that, thanks. It doesn't matter where I transfer data from, after reboot it's Groundhog Day again. Same goes for uninstalled/installed apps, they are back/gone after every reboot. It's as if the internal storage is not being written to at all.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
As far as i know there are very few Honeycomb apps that can be installed on the SD card. Why would you want too anyway?
Install the app internally and see what happens.