Navigation app not working

einsnico

Sep 18, 2011
I tested the Navigation app last weekend and it got stuck @ loading, do I need wifi in order to use the Navigation app?
Im talking about the Navigation app that comes with google maps.

lbretth

Oct 29, 2011
You have to have an active data connection to be able to cache the maps. This also means that if you don't have active data while driving and you go off the route you set when you started it won't be able to download the maps.

desmo907

Feb 9, 2012
The Navigation seemed to work the other day when i briefly tested it in the drivway. Now it just shows "waiting for location" message and won't start.
the manual seems to indicate it will work in the car without access to WiFi just like a normal GPS...

Help?

yanotf

Dec 21, 2011
The Navigation seemed to work the other day when i briefly tested it in the drivway. Now it just shows "waiting for location" message and won't start.
the manual seems to indicate it will work in the car without access to WiFi just like a normal GPS...

Help?

If it says so it means it did not get the GPS. I suggest that you have an app like GPS Test or GPS Status.
What I do is open Google Maps then switch to one of those apps just mentioned and

yanotf

Dec 21, 2011
Don't have any idea what's just happened, I was writing a then :)

Anyway, I use GPS Test to 'catch' location, then get back to Maps and it tells me where I am.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
GPS works fine with CoPilot and Sygic on my Sony Tablet S.
No Internet connection is required.

desmo907

Feb 9, 2012
Can you tell me exactly the process you use with GPS Status or what I can do to get this to work?
I got GPS Status and start it up and i see the location of the satelites.
I then start Navigation app.... and sometimes just continues to say "waiting for location" or sometimes it loads the map of the area I am in but then spins and says "waiting for driving directions" yet nothing else. This happened in the exact same location as well.

If I don't have a data connection in the car (which I don't) how does it get the maps (preloaded)?

Thx

yanotf

Dec 21, 2011
Can you tell me exactly the process you use with GPS Status or what I can do to get this to work?
I got GPS Status and start it up and i see the location of the satelites.

If I don't have a data connection in the car (which I don't) how does it get the maps (preloaded)?
Thx
You wait until GPS Status gets a fix, then switch to Navigation. OK, this may be a little bit inaccurate here. What I mean is this approach works once you have maps preloaded AND you are on your way to somewhere.
First however you need a network connection to start Navigation (which I consider to be a fail of the programmers). Here where I live there's plenty of possibilities to get a legal WiFi hotspot., but oftest I get prepared at home. Of course when you are at a spot Navigation always "knows" your location. The trick with GPS Status is handy when you loose a fix OR you use just a map to know your location w/o navigation.

When it comes to your second question: Fire up Maps, go to Settings/Labs and check Pre-cache map area. Then, on a map, tap & hold on a point of interests, get the address, tap it and then, on a menu, tap Pre-cache map area.

I must say I sometimes get confused; Google says this gives map-only-view. When I launch my navigation I always use the satellite view. Then however on my road, I sometimes see a map and sometimes a satellite view. Haven't figured it out yet and probably never will as I don't think I really need this anyway :)

Did it help?

desmo907

Feb 9, 2012
I will try that but the user manual just says to ensure the checkbox in settings for GPS location is on.
Seems there has to be a simpler way with that nav app besides caching maps via WiFi .

Thx

yanotf

Dec 21, 2011
If there is I'll be glad to know. Anyway tried it yesterday and it worked the way I wrote with a little exception - Maps lost my location on the way back home and never got it back :)