Navitech case review

spexwood

May 11, 2011
yeah, it's on the UK site.

As for the leather, it feels fake to me, but I have never been very good with determining real leather. It feels like vinyl leather to me, or something cheap. If it were to rub against something, it could easily rip.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:
He responded to my previous email and I cut it up and responded to parts of it individually. I'll post my reply here... the only problem is that he thinks that my review is unfair. My concern is for future buyers of this item and for people like you all who also get misled by the pictures. I think he wants to keep the pictures as is, but add a mentioning in the description that the memory card slot is not actually there. This only makes things confusing for shoppers.
Anyways, this is mentioned in the reply I am sending (BTW, the *** parts are not curse words, but my name being used):

[BEGIN message]
"I respect the offer of a gift does not mean anything to you, in actual fact it was to merely save you the time in going to the postal services and sending the item all the way to the uk."
- I do understand this, but I was just trying to make the point that whether or not I get to keep the case, it isn't what I was intending to order and I am wanting a refund for that. I wouldn't have spent the money if I had known that the case didn't have the memory card slot. Instead, I would've waited for someone else to have created one that did have this feature and was around the same price range and maybe even within the USA (all that said with due respect).

"We in 100% honesty have shown the picture which we belive to be acurate picture of the item."
- ... but it WASN'T the item as pictured....
Please understand that as the seller, it is your responsibility to ensure that the item that you are claiming to sell matches the item that you are actually shipping out.
As an internet buyer, I cannot physically handle the item before purchasing, so I must rely on the pictures you post of the item.

"I want to be honest here ******* and I will say can you not leave your
sd card in place until you get home or to work etc and wish to remove it
then?"
- No, because I have several memory cards that contain different types of data. I must be able to swap these cards frequently as needed.

"I would rather spend the money you did than waste $180 on a pdair case which I sure will not be much better than a navitech one, hence asking for a fairer reflection on your product review."
- I actually cannot make a comment on this as I have never handled the PDAir case in person, but supposedly the case is of "very high quality and 100% cowhide leather". Why it is priced so high though, I cannot say, but it DOES have a memory card slot opening and magnets that I suppose would work.

"I would not ask you to lie ******* I am merely asking you to offer the
product what it deserves compared to a $180 case!"
- Yeah, ok, but once pictures are corrected, I really feel that the item deserves a 3 out of 5 (3=OK, but not 4=GREAT or 5=EXCELLENT). The PARTICULAR UNIT I got does not have a memory card slot opening, the magnets do not work, and quite honestly, the leather feels a bit fragile (not saying it isn't real leather, but that it feels like it could rip if placed in a bookbag or something. But since I cannot confirm this, I did not include it in my review OR rating).
As the buyer of this item, I was intending to buy a case as shown in the pictures. What I got isn't the same item, and the number one feature I was expecting (memory card opening) was not actually there.

I am rating the item I RECEIVED according to my expectations and the faults I am seeing on that unit. The rating is currently a 2 because there are major flaws in the unit, as described in the review, but also because it does not match the pictures shown on the Amazon page, which is misleading to buyers. Once proper pictures are posted, the rating can be raised to a 3, but no higher because the unit still has its malfunctions.

"I will confirm in terms of the pictures we will put in the description tab access to the sd card slot can easily be managed by easily inserting and removing the tablet."
- You need to take a camera and take snapshots of the actual product and then replace the current pictures with them. I cannot tell if this is what you are saying, but you cannot just keep the current pictures and claim that the case doesn't have the card slot as pictured. It would REALLY confuse your buyers.

"For the honest price we charge and the thick protection of the case and cameras respectively I would agree a 3 - 4 star review would be fair."
- As in my conditions, I will change the rating to a 3 and remove the part in my review about the case not matching the pictures IF and ONLY IF you post proper pictures of the item AND give me a refund.

It is completely your choice as to whether or not you want the item back. I am only saying this because I am not EXPECTING to keep the item for free, but I completely understand if the costs of shipping the item back into your hands is not worth it to you. (Originally, I was anticipating a return). I will accept the gift and be thankful for it, but I will also be willing to give it back if you want to pay for the shipping.

"For the honest price we charge and the thick protection of the case and cameras respectively I would agree a 3 - 4 star review would be fair. I will not be looking for you to open a claim just merely keep things easy for you *******. I will refund you upon reply, I am not looking to con or deceive here I am merely asking for a fairer presective on the situation."
- I am giving a fair perspective. You need to understand that what I purchased is NOT what I received, which, intentional or not, is deceiving.

[END message]

By the time I read and replied to that final part, I was *facepalm*ing.
Am I not being fair? Seriously... am I? ? -_-' ? Someone say something if I am being a d*** here, because I am not trying to be one!

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
That's just crazy Spexwood (not your responses, but their opinions on the matter).

So they would find it acceptable, as a seller, to have a picture of a black unit, but have the fact that it's actually neon orange buried in the description. I know, not really the same, but it is. I'm expecting feature "a", which is pictured and you're giving me something without that feature. There will be other case options available. There are quite a few manufacturers already starting to make cases for our lovely toy.

I have something that will protect mine in the meantime ... I'm considering sending an email to see if the one I ordered will have the slot ... and cancel the order if their response is that it doesn't.

"Can you leave your SD card in until you get home or work?" PLEASE! Sooooo not the point!!

Oh ... and they really should learn to speak and type the English language ... that was rough to get through!

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Amazon.com: rooCASE Multi-Angle (Black) Leather Folio Case Cover for Acer Iconia Tab A500 10.1-Inch Android Tablet Wi-Fi: Electronics

Has anyone done business with rooCASE?

Pictures don't show the SD card area, so I don't know if it's actually accessible or not. Also, it doesn't look like (from the pics) that there's a hole for the front camera. I'd send an email to the seller, but I can't figure out how so I just started a "discussion".

Not available yet for a month ... but it's nice to know another contender is entering the market!

We may not have to "put up" with people like Navitech!

edit:

Figured out the email thing ... sent an email to the seller. The pics are basic and unclear ... I have a feeling the item is still in production and the pictures are photoshops. But if the final product works (as advertised) that's all that matters.

Last edited:

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I think we are dealing with some deception here!! The main reason I ordered the Navitech case was for the memory slot opening, and also because I thought it just looked nicer than the case from Riot Outfitters (I have that one coming too!). I have been following this thread very closely as I may want to return my Navitech case once I get it but obviously I have to get it first!

But then I took a look again at the pictures of the actual Navitech case and frankly it doesn't look anything like the pictures on either Am UK or Nav's web site. The one thing that stuck me as being so different was the bracket on the back to make it stand up. In the pictures on the web the bracket has two slots, which I assume allows it to be set up for two different stand up heights. But the picture of the real case, that bracket has only only one position. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but certainly very different. But then I was thinking where did I see that double bracket?

So I went to the PDair site and I discovered something VERY interesting. First I noticed the double bracket but then I thought the two pictures looked VERY similar. Then I started looking at the white stitching and I realized that the pictures Navitech is using are PICTURES OF THE PDAIR CASE!!!! I've attached two pictures. The first is the back of the web pictured Navitech case and the second is the back of the PDAir case. While they are mirror images of each other, notice the white stitching at the bottom. It has kind of a curve to it and on the PDAir picture the stitching curves upward towards the right of the back of the case while the "Navitech" case it curves to the left. But, again except for the mirror image effect, the curve is EXACTLY the same. Also look again at the same stitching at the bottom where it meets the stitching going vertically up at the side of the case (right side for the PDAir case and left side for the "Navitech" case) and you will notice the the final horizontal stitch where it meets the vertical stitch is a thicker or probably double stitch. BUT BOTH PICTURES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

So I believe Navitech was using pictures of the PDAir case for their case! The second picture of the "Navitech" case does not have a 1 to 1 PDAir picture to compare to but it certainly does look like the PDAir case.

So once I get my Navitech case, unless it some how is different than the one reviewed here I will be asking for a refund and if they want it back they need to pay for shipping. If that does not happen then I will file a claim with Amazon UK.

Gerry

P. S. To see some of this stuff you may need to download the pictures and put them into a picture viewer so that you can blow them up a bit. ALSO, if you look very closely at the "Navitech" case you can see some Photo Shop work where the PDAir logo was. There is enough of it missing to not be able to read the "PDAir" but you can definitely see that there was an imprinted logo which is now obscured!!

PDAir case:
View attachment 2681

"Navitech" case:
$1 N.jpg

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I saw and thought the same thing just 30 minutes ago ... just didn't research it as much as you did so I hadn't yet said anything!

I had gone to the PDAir site just to see what the deal was with the price they were charging. Maybe someone should email PDAir and notify them of the possible mis-use of their property (images)?

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I think gerryex's forensics work (very well done by the way! IMPRESSIVE!) just created a reason for ME to file a claim against this seller. Im going to begin right after this message.

I will have to gather some photos from the PDAir site too, but will include all of the arguments I made to begin with.

BTW, I really should have noticed that the Navitech picture is showing the volume and memory card slot on the WRONG side. *facepalm*
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/gerryex.html

dhornick

May 12, 2011
as soon as mine comes in I will do the same. I feel like they purposely stole the pictures because they represented a superior product. They must have thought that we as the consumer might overlook something as obvious as the SD card slot. Hopefully our reviews will be heard before they can defraud any more unsuspecting victims

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I just sent the following claim to Amazon:

I purchased this item after examining the photos of it on the seller's Amazon page. I was very excited to have found a case for my tablet that was affordable and incorporated direct access to my tablet's memory card slot door without having to remove the case. Once I received the item, I quickly realized that it is nothing like that which is pictured on the sales page, and the magnets do not work AT ALL.

I have proof that this seller is using pictures of another company's merchandise and trying to pass it off as their own, while the actual items they are selling are knock-offs of this other company's merchandise:
1) The pictures in the sales listing clearly shows a case with the memory card door fully accessible (as seen on the sales picture of the back of the case). The actual case completely covers this door up.
2) If you examine the same picture specified in #1, and compare the tablet used as the model to an actual Acer Iconia A500, you would notice that the memory card door and volume buttons are on the wrong side. The picture is flipped.
3) Also seen in the same picture, the case has two latches that allow the front flap to be turned into a stand. The actual case has only one.
4) Finally, all of this seller's pictures are coming from the following website (a different company), but are either flipped or Photoshopped to remove the PDAir logo that appears on the back of the case:
PDair Acer Iconia Tab Leather Case - Book Type (Black) Ver. 2

I demand that this seller 1) refund my money, 2) refund the money of any other buyers who bought these tablet cases and were also deceived and brought it up with the seller, and one of the following options: 3a) remove all listings of this case (there are several by this seller) or 3b) be forced to post their OWN photos of THEIR item. This seller is being very dishonest and is lying to his customers, trying to trick them into buying a cheap knock-off of a different company's HQ item.

What concerns me though is that the confirmation email I got cuts the message at #2... I hope Amazon got the full message!

dhornick

May 12, 2011
I'm sure they did and if not, they will probably contact you for more info or confirmation. Thanks again for your effort in this matter. I will send in my own complaint similarly as soon as mine is here.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
BTW, I really should have noticed that the Navitech picture is showing the volume and memory card slot on the WRONG side. *facepalm*

I didn't notice either...don't beat yourself up too much.

Oh ... and thanks for the letter to Amazon ... maybe it will help the rest of us out!

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I think gerryex's forensics work (very well done by the way! IMPRESSIVE!) just created a reason for ME to file a claim against this seller. Im going to begin right after this message.

Hi spexwood,

THANKS!!

Even though the memory slot being accessable was a key issue, again I just thought that the Navitech case looked better than the Riot one, BASED ON THE PICTURES. When I kept looking at those pictures the one thing that nagged at me was that double bracket in the back. At first I didn't like the way it looked but then it started to grow on me. But there was always that feeling that I saw it somewhere before. I had not gone to the PDAir site very often because their cases just cost too much. Nice, but too much. But when you got your Navitech case and posted pictures it struck me that the actual case didn't look much like the pictures on their web site.

So I went to the PDAir site and sure enough that's where I saw the double bracket. But then I started to look at the stitching, and everything clicked into place.

As soon as I get my Navitech case, assuming I get the same one as you I will be sending a claim to Amazon. Did you make the claim at Am UK?

Anyway, we shall see what we shall see!!!

Gerry

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Gerry, you hit it; it's the same picture, in reverse perspective. I just refused mine. I'll write them tonight and tell them why.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Hee hee (why am I laughing?)
I just got an email from the seller again. He's pissed that I filed a claim. He says that "he is only trying to help" but I told him flat out (and only in 2 sentences, unlike my previous emails) that he stole pictures and I have yet to see any progress on this situation, despite the many emails we have exchanged.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Hee hee (why am I laughing?)
I just got an email from the seller again. He's pissed that I filed a claim. He says that "he is only trying to help" but I told him flat out (and only in 2 sentences, unlike my previous emails) that he stole pictures and I have yet to see any progress on this situation, despite the many emails we have exchanged.

Some people are just such jerks. What right has he to be pissed after lying to people interested in his products? Maybe he should watch the recent news about how public liars end up? :)