NC 1.4 rooting CM7 failed

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
I am having trouble with the USB connection. At first I was able to connect to my PC with USB but now the connection seems to have disappeared. How can I enable USB?

jbaum

Apr 1, 2012
OK, I will try the reinstall as well. Rick, what did you do before the reinstall to start fresh?

I did check and am running CWR 3.2.0.1. I have not actually download any apps since installing CM7, I only had apps from my BN account that installed automatically when I set up my new Nook. (dropped the last one & spider webbed the screen). Beside clearing the Cache & Dalvik Cache - should I be resetting anything else? I apologize for my noob clueless-ness. I am learning by fire!

Last edited:

jbaum

Apr 1, 2012
VOILA! The step I missed (apparently) was <Wipe data / factory reset>. Did that, cleared the caches again. Still don't have Google Play store - nor market either now. I'm working on that!

THANK YOU!!

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
OK, I will try the reinstall as well. Rick, what did you do before the reinstall to start fresh?

I did check and am running CWR 3.2.0.1. I have not actually download any apps since installing CM7, I only had apps from my BN account that installed automatically when I set up my new Nook. (dropped the last one & spider webbed the screen). Beside clearing the Cache & Dalvik Cache - should I be resetting anything else? I apologize for my noob clueless-ness. I am learning by fire!

What I did was the 8 failed boot trick to go back to factory settings which was ver 1.3 for me, and then install 1.4. At that point I began the install of CM7. First I formatted system, cleared data and cache and then installed CM7 and Google apps.

The 8 boot trick is: press power button to start boot and before it boots hold down the power button until the Nooks powers down. Do this 8 times and then the Nook will install display a message that it is reinstalling factory software.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
VOILA! The step I missed (apparently) was <Wipe data / factory reset>. Did that, cleared the caches again. Still don't have Google Play store - nor market either now. I'm working on that!

THANK YOU!!

Did you flash the Google Apps zip after you flashed the CM7 zip?

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
And your market is working correct? I was wondering if jbaum remembered to do this since there is no market.

The market, or Play Store as it now called now, is working for me. The only problem that I am having now is that I cannot connect to my PC with the USB connection. I had read on another board that there should be an item in the notification bar to enable USB but I don't have it. I do have Wi-FI, Bluetooth, speaker, and an icon of two concentric circles that looks like a bulls-eye? which I don't recognize.

jbaum

Apr 1, 2012
The issue for Market was that I had not logged into a google account yet. As soon as I did that it connected me to Market and promptly updated to Play Store. It is working just like I hoped! Thank you for your help. My sons and husband were secretly betting that I would brick this before I was done... haha!!

I successfully rooted my daughter's this evening as well. She's happy.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
I couldn't get the 8 boot thing to work for me. I need to reinstall to factory. And make a bootable cm7.