NC update question.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
I recently acquired a NC that is running 1.0.1 and would like to update it to 1.1. It appears to be rooted as it has Gmail, Market, NCTools, Superuser, and Talk installed on it. Can I just slideload the update as it says here Software Updates - Barnes & Noble ? Or do I need to reset it back to stock?

Off-topic, does overclocking the NC really necessary? Is the performance increased that much?

Thanks for your help in advance!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well you have a few options to get to 1.1 since you are already rooted:

-Update to b&n 1.1
-Loose root (note: you only loose root, all apps will remain installed. Many apps which require root will not work)
-Use autonooter 3.0 to re-root

-Install CWM recovery
-Flash straight to Nook_Color 1.1r2 Rom

Overclocking is not mandatory or necessary but going from stock 800 mhz to 1 or 1.1Ghz does make a difference in the smoothness and application open time of the Nook Color. An app called SetCPU also makes a big difference in the way the NC performances and quickness. See here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/5119-setcpu-settings-nookcolor.html

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Which would you do?

Well both get you to the same place so doesn't matter. I've done both and if were me, I'd would go straight to option 2.

Ask yourself if you eventually want to go to custom roms, full backups and overclocking kernels. If so you will need CWM ROM manger and CWM recovery for flashing roms and such. Some people don't care anythng about those things and just want to upgrade to b&n software 1.1 and be left alone. For those people, option 1 is better.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Well you have a few options to get to 1.1 since you are already rooted:

-Update to b&n 1.1
-Loose root (note: you only loose root, all apps will remain installed. Many apps which require root will not work)
-Use autonooter 3.0 to re-root

-Install CWM recovery

Overclocking is not mandatory or necessary but going from stock 800 mhz to 1 or 1.1Ghz does make a difference in the smoothness and application open time of the Nook Color. An app called SetCPU also makes a big difference in the way the NC performances and quickness. See here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/5119-setcpu-settings-nookcolor.html

Did the 1st one but after rebooting it has a triangle with an ! in it and a android guy by it. What do I need to do?

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Looks like it is clockwork mod recovery. Can I use the update zip that I downloaded form BN in CWM?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Can you be clear waht exactly you trying to do ?

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
I am trying to update to 1.1. After downloading the update from BN and putting it on the nook and it rebooted to install it but it then went into CWM. My question now is that can I use CWM to install the update?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Nope. You don't need CWR to install official update.

But why you installing official update ? if you do so, you have to root again. Better install pre rooted and it is good.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Nope. You don't need CWR to install official update.

But why you installing official update ? if you do so, you have to root again. Better install pre rooted and it is good.

I don't know it's just what I am doing. When it restarts to install the update it goes into ClockworkMod Recovery and trys to install the package but says "E : failed to verify whole-file signature" and "E : signature vertification failed" then "installation aborted" What should I do now? My internet sucks and it took me a LONG time to download this file and I would like to use this file.

Thanks!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Looks like it is clockwork mod recovery. Can I use the update zip that I downloaded form BN in CWM?

No you can't use the b&n 1.1 if using CWM recovery, it's for custom roms.

-Install CWM recovery

I don't know it's just what I am doing. When it restarts to install the update it goes into ClockworkMod Recovery and trys to install the package but says "E : failed to verify whole-file signature" and "E : signature vertification failed" then "installation aborted" What should I do now? My internet sucks and it took me a LONG time to download this file and I would like to use this file.

Thanks!

This is all wrong, you can't use/sideload or install the 1.1 update from b&n if using CWM recovery, get this file:
Download!
Download NookColor_v1.1.0_r2.zip
md5: 5b2e14170a319b2329e954f4ad89a422

Last edited:

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Ok I will try this but it will probably be sometime tomorrow morning before I can see if it works or not. Thanks for your help!

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Now none of my G-Apps work. They just close as soon as they open and Market says "a sever error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen" What to do now?