need clairification on differences tween the root roms and the writing to micro stuff

stricknook

Mar 31, 2011
ive figured out how to write HC deeper blue to a card but im unclear on differences between the different programs,and how or if combining them works out. also not clear with clockwork recovery. im using 4gb cards(clueless on whole class disscusion) does HC get it own card with nothing else on it and also CWR own card and so on? it seem to me that people are stacking them as they like but im still trying to figure out why the os changes when i pull the card w/HC out and if the autonooter is the same kind of program as HC or froyo or if i should be writing HC and auto nooter + the CWR or overclock, well its a problum anyone have advice?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
stricknook, you have two different thigns going on which is why you are confused.

1. A ROM can be installed on a bootable SD card. Anytime this card is in the slot on the Nook the nook will boot to whatever is on the card. This could be CWR which is used to make backups and install other ROMs or it can be a ROM like HC or Froyo which will boot you into that version of Android.

2. You can install a ROM or CWR internally. If there is no SD card in the slot or if the SD card is not bootable you will boot to whatever is placed internally.

Because of these two ways of booting you can have many combinations. For example you could have Froyo on the internal and HC on a bootable disk. Put the disk in the slot and you boot to HC. Take the disk out and you boot right back into Froyo. If you create a bootable disk with CWR on it you can also include zip files of different ROMs on that disk and install those directly from the CWR bootable disk. One other common option is to have CRW installed internally and again, have different ROM zip files on a non-bootable disk that you can access from the internal CWR to flash the ROMs onto the device.

So it isn't so much stacking ROMs as having the option to boot from the SD card or internally and also having more than one ROM zip file on a card that you can flash onto the Nook with CWR.

I hope that helps.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
For part 2 of your question, autonooter is a program which essentially flashes a ROM onto the nook for you without you having to load CWR and manually flash a ROM. You can either flash a ROM from a bootable CWR card manually, autonooter or autonooter and install CWR to flash ROMs after autonootering.

The autonooter file must go on a card by itself and will only do an internal installation. Autonooter is not the same as a bootable OS such as Froyo or HC since it runs once and installs internally and that is it. Once you have autonooterd you can format your card to get a usable SD card back.

A bootable SD card must only contain either a bootable ROM or CWR and ROM zip files to install from CWR once you have booted into it from the card.

Any other non-bootable card can contain any type of data, media, back ups, zip files or overclock kernels you desire. You must have an internally bootable OS though to use the card and an internal CWR to flash the zip files that are ROMs or OC kernerls.

Last edited:

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
does HC get it own card with nothing else on it and also CWR own card and so on? it seem to me that people are stacking them as they like but im still trying to figure out why the os changes when i pull the card w/HC out and if the autonooter is the same kind of program as HC or froyo or if i should be writing HC and auto nooter + the CWR or overclock, well its a problum anyone have advice?

I'm at the same stage as you - re: Nook Color - except I haven't bought mine yet... lol. But I do have a ROM burned onto Card - and awaiting purchase of Nook Color

All the terminology of CWR / ROM / Kernals in general tends to overlap and are confusing without actually knowing what you are doing ( by already having installed any of them or used them ). But I found this article online over the weekend explains it pretty well ( from a macro conceptual scale of how CWR & ROM's work together ).

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]

I'd suggest follow advice of others who have done the work - such as members of this site - and links to do the actual installs. But conceptually that site I liked to is pretty good at painting a picture of how all the software pieces fit together on android devices generally.