Need CM7 Help

ace028

Jul 9, 2011
Ok, I finially received my NC. Its pertty cool, but i'm a noob and have a couple questions. I was trying to follow some of the guides, and got a little confused with all the links and some stuff outdated. So I followed the youtube vid
to install cm7. I had to repartition it to work (does that mean I had the blue dot version?) and now cm7 works, but no android market, so I am going to try to do it again with 7.0.2. Now, did I "root" my nook from doing this? Also, how does updating work for CWM? am I able to update within cm7 or do I have to flash it via sd card again and reinstall everything. When I update cm7 from older version do I just update or do I have to install on bootable sd and install? And what is manual nooter? Is this completely different then cm7? It appears to me that its just a modded version of stock. Sorry so many questions, just too many threads to go through and appears there are too many different ways to do this.

I would like to try dual booting with stock and cm7 from internal memory. Tips?

My setup is
NC (obviously)
Mac user
4gb sd card for now
Wanting to run CM7 and OC it.

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi ace, lots going on here so I am going to recommend some reading which will help wear away your noobness ;)

Sart here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html
Internal dual boot has issuse such as limited ROM choices you can read more here and see if it is what you want: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/9944-dual-booting-discussion.html
If not you have the option of using a bootable SD card so you have one internal ROM and bootable SD card(s) with a ROM of your choosing. For Bootable CM7 look here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

The links above cover a lot of what you want to know. I'll try and answer your specific questions below.

If you had to repartition to get CM7 to work you have the blue dot version (shipping with B&N 1.2). But it sounds like you took care of that so no worries now.

Rooting is not the same as installing a custom ROM. Rooting just means you are unlocking the B&N software but leaving it in place. If you completely replace the stock software you have installed a custom ROM. CM7 is a custom ROM. More info here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/17734-info-android-roms-nook-color.html

Updating CWM - CWM can stand for different things depending on context. Some people use CWM to refer to ClockworkMod, ROM Manager or Recovery. I try to stick with the following acronyms for clarity: ClockworkMod (CWM), ClockworkMod ROM Manager (ROM Manager), ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR). Now with that laid out hopefully I can answer your question. ClockworkMod itself is not a thing and cannot be updated, rather they have two tools ROM Manager and Recovery which can be updated. ROM Manager is an app that can be found in the app drawer and can be updated through Market. Recovery is a tool that can be accessed installed in internal memory or on a bootable SD card. To update Recovery on internal memory you have two options (1) use ROM Manager and flash the latest Recovery to internal memory or (2) put the latest Recovery zip file on a regular non-bootable SD card boot into recovery and then flash that zip file over the Recovery installed on the internal memory. To update a bootable Recovery SD card you simply reformat the card and then burn the new bootable Recovery image onto the card.

To update CM7 you can go through ROM Manager or put CM7 zip file on an SD card. Then you flash that zip file onto the Nook from Recovery (either Recovery on internal or bootable SD, doesn't matter).

To Root your Nook (unlock the B&N software) you use a process called nootering. Manual nooter simply means you do the steps of the nooter process yourself. For the earlier versions of B&N software (before 1.2) there was a script that ran the nootering process for you so it was called autonooter. The "manual nooter" for B&N 1.2 is nearly an autonooter so it is really about the same amount of work either way.

There is a lot of information read through it and hopefully it all makes sense.

JP

Last edited: