Need Help Rooting 1.4.2 Nook

Remus

Apr 28, 2012
I cant seem to find anything about rooting a nook color of the more recent software update(1.4.2).
I want to be able to have the image, and software on a Micro SDHC and also be able to remove the SD and it be the normal Nook.
I have intermediate skills and knowledge of computers, but the "Oh So Wonderful World Wide Web" and Google isnt really helping me much.
So, does anyone have any good walkthroughs or know of any? I prefer Honeycomb, or Gingerbread...but which ever supports my current version will be awesome too!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

Remus

Apr 28, 2012
Hi there, I think what you are looking for is this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html. It will put Gingerbread on a bootable SD card. Then you can have stock internal and CM7 on the disk and switch back and forth as you desire. Work is currently being done on CM9 which will be Ice Cream Sandwich and will work the same way once it is ready.

Thank you, I am going to try this. I got Honeycomb running on my nook yesterday, but i cant seem to get the Android market, so i am going to start over with the CM7. Thanks again!! :D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I know it's late... but isn't rooting essentially different from installing a custom rom?

Yes, rooting just allows you to do more things with the ROM that you are rooting. In the case of the Nook, when you root you are still running B&N's version of Android. If you replace with a custom ROM, then you are using that custom ROM's version of Android. In the case of CyanogenMod, which is probably the most popular, you get pretty much plain Google versions of Android.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Thanks J515OP. For a while there, I thought I forgot what I already knew.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post here as it isn't my original thread. I restored my Nook to stock and am now rooted at 1.4.2. But the android market doesn't work. Nothing happens when I click yes to "You must add an account to the device to continue. Do you want to add one now?"

Any ideas from anyone?

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
Do you already have a Play account? If so try doing an end around and logging on from the web rather than from the app.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Do you already have a Play account? If so try doing an end around and logging on from the web rather than from the app.

Yup, I do have a few accounts actually. ;) The issue is the NC just goes to the home screen after clicking yes to that prompt when trying to run the market. Thanks for the response. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find an updated g-apps file to flash.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can also try clearing the cache through Settings>apps. Try clearing for market and framework then reboot and see if that works.

JP

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
You can also try clearing the cache through Settings>apps. Try clearing for market and framework then reboot and see if that works.

JP

JP,

I don't seem to have the same "settings" options in rooted stock. I haven't been successful in fixing the market issue. As limited rooted 1.4.2 is, I am loving the battery life I now have. Too bad it just isn't the same in CM7 or CM9. I'll post if I ever get it fixed. ;)

Regards,
Shutter

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hey Shutter, what CM7 were you using? The battery life of 7.1 was pretty close to stock as I recall though CM9 is nowhere near. If you can't get to the settings menu for rooted you can find the TitaniumBackup apk and install that. Then you can clear the cache and hopefully get it working.

Other options:

If you have CWR installed on internal you can boot to recovery and wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache which may clear the issue. If not installed you can make a bootable CWR disk and then boot with it and clear the chaches.

Clearing the cache is the most likely fix for your issue so hopefully you can use one of these methods to do that. As far as the settings not showing up, you may need to enable the Nook "hidden settings" though I can't remember how that is done at the moment. I believe it only became an issue with the latest Nook software and I thought most roots were adding that by default. Of course I could be confusing this whole issue with the Nook Tablet since I know it doesn't show by default on there.

JP

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Hey Shutter, what CM7 were you using? The battery life of 7.1 was pretty close to stock as I recall though CM9 is nowhere near. If you can't get to the settings menu for rooted you can find the TitaniumBackup apk and install that. Then you can clear the cache and hopefully get it working.

Other options:

If you have CWR installed on internal you can boot to recovery and wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache which may clear the issue. If not installed you can make a bootable CWR disk and then boot with it and clear the chaches.

Clearing the cache is the most likely fix for your issue so hopefully you can use one of these methods to do that. As far as the settings not showing up, you may need to enable the Nook "hidden settings" though I can't remember how that is done at the moment. I believe it only became an issue with the latest Nook software and I thought most roots were adding that by default. Of course I could be confusing this whole issue with the Nook Tablet since I know it doesn't show by default on there.

JP
JP,

How's it going?

This is still my one and only 1st gen Nook Color. I believe I was on the nightly while on CM7(.2). Then I tried CM9 and it was worse. Random freezes abound. So I decided to go back to stock 1.2 then planned to root. I didn't know though that it'll force the latest update OTA so I ended up with B&N 1.4.2. But I am now rooted (used NT_SDCard.zip method).

So when I try Market, the add account message pops-up. But when I say yes, it goes back to home. I do not have any hidden settings icon or what. I'll try wiping Dalvik cache or play around with the update.zip and see if I can change the apk(s) in the original package from NT_SDCard.zip

BR/Shutter

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like the typical Play Store issues. One other option is to uninstall the Play Store. It should then revert back to Market which then updates back to Play Store which now works. Start with the caches first though.

B&N definitely hid some of the settings when they went to 1.4.2 on the NT. I believe this was to prevent the easy side loading that was initially available on the NT without root. On the NT there is a NT Hidden Settings app you can get from the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brianf21.nthiddensettings&hl=en). Since you don't have access to the store you could get the apk here Hidden Settings App Updated 3/9/12 - xda-developers but I don't think it will work with NC.

Sorry for mixing the NT and NC references but at the moment I have a rooted NT but not NC. They are similar so I am trying to use the NT for reference.

So for the Nook Color it was Nook Color Tools that you needed and should do the same thing. Look in the apps for NC Tools. That should give you the ability to allow unknown sources and also change some of the settings that are in the standard Android settings menus but not the rooted NC menus, such as Settings>App Settings>Manage Apps>All and then you can choose Force Stop, Uninstall, Clear Data, Clear Cache, etc.

Wipe the cache of the Play Store and Google Services Framework, force stop and reboot. See if that fixes the problem. If you still can't get to these settings through Nook Color Tools try the CWR method mentioned above. If nothing else yuo should be able to allow unknown sources from the NC Tools and get Amazon Appstore for access to most things.

JP

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Sounds like the typical Play Store issues. One other option is to uninstall the Play Store. It should then revert back to Market which then updates back to Play Store which now works. Start with the caches first though.

B&N definitely hid some of the settings when they went to 1.4.2 on the NT. I believe this was to prevent the easy side loading that was initially available on the NT without root. On the NT there is a NT Hidden Settings app you can get from the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brianf21.nthiddensettings&hl=en). Since you don't have access to the store you could get the apk here Hidden Settings App Updated 3/9/12 - xda-developers but I don't think it will work with NC.

Sorry for mixing the NT and NC references but at the moment I have a rooted NT but not NC. They are similar so I am trying to use the NT for reference.

So for the Nook Color it was Nook Color Tools that you needed and should do the same thing. Look in the apps for NC Tools. That should give you the ability to allow unknown sources and also change some of the settings that are in the standard Android settings menus but not the rooted NC menus, such as Settings>App Settings>Manage Apps>All and then you can choose Force Stop, Uninstall, Clear Data, Clear Cache, etc.

Wipe the cache of the Play Store and Google Services Framework, force stop and reboot. See if that fixes the problem. If you still can't get to these settings through Nook Color Tools try the CWR method mentioned above. If nothing else yuo should be able to allow unknown sources from the NC Tools and get Amazon Appstore for access to most things.

JP

What would I do without you JP?!? I needed Nook Color Tools! I should have realized NT_SDCard is for the Nook Tablet not the Nook Color. Oh man, I'm shaking my head and laughing now.

I re-rooted with manualnooter5 and now have market working thanks to you. Now I just have to make sure I somehow disable OTA update. Thanks again!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yee haw! The OTA can be disabled by installing CWR on the internal memory. I don't suspect B&N is updating anytime soon though and since you are at the most recent you shouldn't have to worry about it (no promises though). Of course having CWR is a good thing in any case so I would recommend it even if it wasn't to block OTAs. The easy way is to install ClockWork Mod ROM Manager and then use that to install ClockWork Mod Recovery.