Need Help rooting and backing up

senorjack

Dec 26, 2010
It seems like there is no one here that wants to answer the BASIC STARTING POINT questions.
I have been ALL OVER these forums and I realize that there are MANY different varieties of Tablets so it would help if someone could just start with the most POPULAR and it seems that since we are in a "RECESSION" most people are buying the ones on e bay for $100 bucks or so. That's what I did, just to get started. Most of us can’t afford an I-pad.
I have read that you need to "ROOT" your Tablet FIRST....so I tried that and it won't root....I enabled the USB De-bugging and it still didn't root.
I tried it again with Z4root and did a Temporary root but then it won't run the Titanium Backup because it says it's NOT rooted. Now what ?
I NEED to BACKUP my Tablet in case something goes wrong and I need to re-load the apps. I don't want to "BRICK" it.
Now, I'm not stupid...I build my own computers, hacked my PSP, hacked programs, etc. but this has me befuddled.
I am a Certified Computer Tech with a Degree in Digital Electronics and a Degree in Electrical Engineering but I don’t know everything and I am always willng to learn new things. I am an old an too…63 years of age.

You need to be SPECIFIC....what is simple to you is not so simple to others...
If and when I figure this thing out ( and sooner or later I will), I will write an EXTENSIVE GUIDE or NEWBIES on HOW TO ROOT YOUR TABLET.
I am willing to help anyone with any problem if I can, but you guys that succeeded where us "Newbies" have not, need to step up and lend a hand...

If anyone would like to help me out, here are the “SPECS” for my GENERIC TABLET:
CPU: VIA8650, High-performance 800MHZ CPU+300MHZ DSP WM 8650
Operation system: Android 2.2 (Support Flash 10.1)
Memory: 256MB DDR2
Storage Device: 2GB NAND Flash maximum capacity of 32GB tf card
Gravity:4-Dimensional G-sensor
Black Plug, Blue LED, Vibrate & 1.3 Camera
LCD: 7" Touch screen, 800*480 pixels
Network: RJ45 Cable Internet: 10/100M adaptive

WIFI:IEEE802.11b/g/n wireless network
3G: External 3G (Support Huawei E220, etc)
I/O Port: 30pinUSB switch interface*1,Headphone *1, MIC*1 JACK*1, TF card reader
Audio: 3.5mm headphone jack (BLACK)
High-quality stereo loud speaker
Built-in microphone

Kernel: 2.6.3.9-default
Build Number: generic-eng 2.2 FROYO Vr 1.3.0-20110417.092309
Model number: WonderMedia WM8650

Please don't interpret this the wrong way...I am NOT being a Smart-*ss...I just want to get some help so I can help others...
It's the RIGHT thing to do.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Register at HcH Tech, they have many files you may need to download.

1.Download a ROM to use. Read this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ycombmod-uberoid-wm8650-devices-v1-3-0-a.html or Google this: Uberoid_WM8650_2.2_v1.2.2_NL_v20110414-HcH Uberoid ROM
2.Format an SD Card in Fat32
3.Unzip the Uberoid download and copy the files onto the SD card. The wmt_scriptcmd file and FirmwareInstall folder should be on the root of the card.
4.With the android tablet turned off, insert the SD card, and turn it back on.

this should flash your tablet and give you ROOT access (depending on what ROM you install

During startup the android tablet will read the SD card and install the firmware. It took about 4 minutes for the process to complete before the device rebooted into the new OS. Watch the screen because the SD card must be ejected when the firmware installation completes or the upgrade will run again after the device restarts.

senorjack

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the information. I will DL this suggestion and try it. Hopefully it will work out.

May 31, 2011
Hello,

I have recently purchased this exact same Android Tablet MID WM8650 and I'm hoping to enable the AD HOC mode on it.

Could somebody help with instructions for a newbie like me.

Bascially, I need to ROOT it, then enable the AD HOC..

Any ideas?

Nick

Hello,

I just wanted to thank you for posting this.. I was sooo confused...

Do you know how to enable the AD HOC mode on the WM8650 ???

Nick

Hello,

I've got this exact same tablet and I need to know how to enable the AD HOC WIFI mode.
I'm hoping somebody knows...

Hello,

I've got an Android tablet that is listed as fully tested, the WM8650 E18 tablet.

Do you know how to enable the AD HOC WIFI mode ???

Ok, I recently purchased low cost Chinese Android Tablet WM8650 E18 and I also bought a model MID 7008 Adroid tablet.

Both work well, however, I need help to enable the WIFI AD HOC mode, on either tablet or both, if possible.

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions as to purchasing future Android tablets that can definately have the WIFI AD HOC mode enabled.

Does anyone know of any low cost, specific Android tablets that, FOR SURE, can be made to work as a WIFI AD HOC device???

Thank you in advance...

Nick

I have purchased 2 low cost Android tablets recently and I need help to get either or both to connect to an ADHOC WIFI device..

Also, does anybody recommend any Android tablets that can definately have the WIFI ADHOC mode enabled???

Any help would be appreciated..

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2011
Did you ever get this tablet to root?
I ask because I have the exact same tablet and I have not been able to get it to root.
I also followed the advice from pbrauer below about downloading the UBEROID, but it didn't work either.
I followed the instructions over and over. I got it to take the upgrade, but after reboot, it would just
hang on the UBEROID message. I tried select "1" for the E18, and "11" for the WM8650, but they both
do the same thing.
I managed to get an Android FIRMWARE ROM 2.2 from the Chinese company I bought the E18 from and got
my tablet working again, but every ROOT APP I try fails, and every version of the UBEROID I upgrade to also
failed, so I'm stuck still..

If you or anybody else has any suggestions for my E18, I's really appreciate it.

madmaselle

Aug 16, 2011

1.Download a ROM to use. Read this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ycombmod-uberoid-wm8650-devices-v1-3-0-a.html or Google this: Uberoid_WM8650_2.2_v1.2.2_NL_v20110414-HcH Uberoid ROM
3.Unzip the Uberoid download and copy the files onto the SD card. The wmt_scriptcmd file and FirmwareInstall folder should be on the root of the card.

this should flash your tablet and give you ROOT access (depending on what ROM you install

During startup the android tablet will read the SD card and install the firmware. It took about 4 minutes for the process to complete before the device rebooted into the new OS. Watch the screen because the SD card must be ejected when the firmware installation completes or the upgrade will run again after the device restarts.

Hello! I'm a newbie too with the same device. I would like to upgrade but i cannot figure out for the life of mine how to get into recovery mode. Can u help me plz?

McKlinkovich

Dec 11, 2011
WM8650
Purchased 2
One works fine, second had intermittent wifi / network issues.
First one still ok - with wifi or wired,
Second now still sees wifi networks, but sticks at Obtaining IP, fails to work on wired either.

Having 2 units allows me to do cross product troubleshooting.

Definately not maxed out on wifi ports either ...

Help !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

syns

Jan 19, 2012

i have a question will this method work same ROM same everything with a 7" MID VIA8650 Green LED tablet?