Need help with a MPMAN 827, replica of a Coby Kyros MID 8027

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Guys,

Desperate here.

I bought an MPMAN 827 from Pix Mania.

The product says (inside) that it is a Coby Kyros MID 8027 (it actual exists, Amazon Germany is selling it, and other sites as well).

It's a 8 inch capacitive display just like the MID 8024 minus the resistive display.

While trying to side load some system files to enable Gmail, I f.... up the system.

I downloaded the firmware for the MID 8024 from Coby site, however I forgot that the displays were different. It did not work. I mean, it worked great, but the display does not recognize my fingers and the firmware is "thinking" that it is a resistive display. I then tried the 1024 firmware, which is for a 10 inch tablet. It worked... :) yeah... you guessed it, the display works, but it's formatted for 10 inch, so part of the screen cannot be seen.

HELP!

Does anyone have a firmware for MPMAN 827 or Coby Kyros MID 8027???

Thank you in advance.

BTW, for those who are wandering, the capacitive display is great.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Guys,

Desperate here.

I bought an MPMAN 827 from Pix Mania.

The product says (inside) that it is a Coby Kyros MID 8027 (it actual exists, Amazon Germany is selling it, and other sites as well).

It's a 8 inch capacitive display just like the MID 8024 minus the resistive display.

While trying to side load some system files to enable Gmail, I f.... up the system.

I downloaded the firmware for the MID 8024 from Coby site, however I forgot that the displays were different. It did not work. I mean, it worked great, but the display does not recognize my fingers and the firmware is "thinking" that it is a resistive display. I then tried the 1024 firmware, which is for a 10 inch tablet. It worked... :) yeah... you guessed it, the display works, but it's formatted for 10 inch, so part of the screen cannot be seen.

HELP!

Does anyone have a firmware for MPMAN 827 or Coby Kyros MID 8027???

Thank you in advance.

BTW, for those who are wandering, the capacitive display is great.

Im amaze you didnt brick your tablet. I like the specs of your tablet, i though their going to use the telechip tablet. I hope they release it at US too so i can buy. But how come in amazon germany n mpman web is listed as gingerbread?

Ok with the possible solution but theres a chance it will not work. The Uboot.bin is the one responsible for initial setting for lcd, cpu etc.

You can try using the uboot.bin of the 8024 with the firmware of 1024. The 8024 uboot.bin set the correct lcd size and the firmware of 1024 will contain the utmodule drivers for capacitive screen.

But this might also brick your tablet.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Im amaze you didnt brick your tablet. I like the specs of your tablet, i though their going to use the telechip tablet. I hope they release it at US too so i can buy. But how come in amazon germany n mpman web is listed as gingerbread?

Ok with the possible solution but theres a chance it will not work. The Uboot.bin is the one responsible for initial setting for lcd, cpu etc.

You can try using the uboot.bin of the 8024 with the firmware of 1024. The 8024 uboot.bin set the correct lcd size and the firmware of 1024 will contain the utmodule drivers for capacitive screen.

But this might also brick your tablet.

:p Now I have changed it back to the 8024 firmware and it was hard. It didn't want to start the installation procedure that, as you certainly know, comes up using the Volume Up button pressed together with the power button. Yeah... I think I almost killed it.

Now it's back to a suited resolution and everything else but the capacitive ability.

Thank you for trying to help. I had thought on the same exact solution but I am really afraid to try it. The recovery mode might not come back again and that will kill the unit.

I have called MPMAN and maybe they will help me.

I have also called Coby and they told MPMAN products are not replicas of their Coby Kyros, but knockoffs... I didn't know that.

I don't understand the reference to Android 2.3. on Amazon.de

I bough my MPMAN from PIXMANIA Portugal - Loja online. Comprar High tech barato ao melhor preço. (other countries too) and it stated Android 2.3., however, MPMAN's website always stated 2.2. only.

Coby told me on the phone that they do not have a MID 8027 model!!!! I told them it was being sold at Amazon.de (Germany) and in other european sites and that several blogs and sites mentioned that they had presented the product last month on the IFA or something like that.

Same answer: "we do not have that product listed".

I do not know if the real MID 8027 comes with Android 2.3. I can assure that MPMAN 827 does not. It comes with Froyo. I even filed a claim with Pixmania for that, wishing that they would offer me a discount voucher or an micro sd card :D but they merely addressed me to the distance vending european law that allows me to return the product, for no given reason, within 14 days after receiving it. Oh well... :)

I kept it and almost bricked it :D

In case you're wondering, I had already installed Android Market but not every app was working, namely Gmail. I started installing some core apk's that some guy said to install in another site (I think it was part of arctools or something) and all kinds of FC's started to appear.

I thought "Maybe if I do a reboot this will be over"... The unit started boot cycling and that's when I did the stupidity of installing a Coby firmware on top of MPMAN's.

But hey... even the product documentation from MPMAN says it is exactly a Coby Kyros MID 8027 :) (I know, I installed the MID 8024 firmware... which would be suitable for a MPMAN 824, the knockoff of that model, resistive one, but not for the capacitive one.

Ehehehe... MPMAN will probably give me the factory firmware. I hope. I will guard it with my life :)

If not, then, desperately, I will try the solution that you suggest.

Maybe in between Coby MID 8027 becomes official or someone else buys an MPMAN 827 and is able to take out an image of it.

Do you know how that can be done? I mean, taking out the firmware from the unit, to give it to someone else?

All the best.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Did you try this possible 2nd solution.
Instead of using board8024.tar use board1024. You just need to delete the board8024 file.

I do hope they really have gingerbread for your tablet because that means they now have a working gingerbread drivers for the volume button hardware. Its the only thing missing. I can use gingerbread now but its really annoying that volume hardware button not work.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Did you try this possible 2nd solution.
Instead of using board8024.tar use board1024. You just need to delete the board8024 file.

I do hope they really have gingerbread for your tablet because that means they now have a working gingerbread drivers for the volume button hardware. Its the only thing missing. I can use gingerbread now but its really annoying that volume hardware button not work.

Hi. Thank you for trying to help.

The thing is, if there was a way of identifying a driver or something that enables the capacitive sceen only, then it would be better to use the 8024 firmware that is 99.9% identical to the 8027 just changing that.

If I use that board file wouldn't I be getting the 10 inch screen resolution also? My tablet is a 8 inch.

I can't find a firmware from Coby for a 8 inch capacitive display.

Thank you - and others - for commenting. Now I am a little scare of bricking it for good.

My MPMAN 827 will not run Gingerbread. The Coby Kyros MID 8027 that is being sold online, should.

The MPMAN tablets that are shipped with Gingerbread are the following:

Internet tablet MP726 - INTERNET TABLETS - mpman

Internet tablet MP727 - INTERNET TABLETS - mpman

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Hi. Thank you for trying to help.

The thing is, if there was a way of identifying a driver or something that enables the capacitive sceen only, then it would be better to use the 8024 firmware that is 99.9% identical to the 8027 just changing that.

If I use that board file wouldn't I be getting the 10 inch screen resolution also? My tablet is a 8 inch.

I can't find a firmware from Coby for a 8 inch capacitive display.

Thank you - and others - for commenting. Now I am a little scare of bricking it for good.

My MPMAN 827 will not run Gingerbread. The Coby Kyros MID 8027 that is being sold online, should.

That board1024 contains the capacitive screen driver but will not make your screen big, its the uboot.bin of 1024 that set the screen size so if your using the 8024 uboot bin it will be set for 8inch.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
That board1024 contains the capacitive screen driver but will not make your screen big, its the uboot.bin of 1024 that set the screen size so if your using the 8024 uboot bin it will be set for 8inch.

Didn't work

Replaced the board8024 with the board1024 and renamed it like the 8024. All went well but the display still does not respond. It kept the same resolution as you said.

Thank you for trying.

Any suggestion?

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Didn't work

Replaced the board8024 with the board1024 and renamed it like the 8024. All went well but the display still does not respond. It kept the same resolution as you said.

Thank you for trying.

Any suggestion?

Ok.

So I went all the way and tried using the full firmware from the 1024 and only the uboot.bin from 8024.

Ok with the resolution. Display does not respond.

I changed back to 8024 firmware using the board and the ut files from 1024. Exactly the same: resolution ok, display not responding to finger touches.

Dead end here.

:cool:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Ok.

So I went all the way and tried using the full firmware from the 1024 and only the uboot.bin from 8024.

Ok with the resolution. Display does not respond.

I changed back to 8024 firmware using the board and the ut files from 1024. Exactly the same: resolution ok, display not responding to finger touches.

Dead end here.

:cool:

Well you can try some gingerbread roms at slateroid i know it works for capacitive lcd

dachabre

Oct 8, 2011
Hi! I have MPMAN 827 but i dont know how to extract firmware.... if you know how, tell me and Im gonna send you firmware......

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Better make a copy of your system\utmodules at your external sdcard. You can send those files to him.

Yes, this should work! Do you know how to do this, dachabre? Simply copy the files from '/system/utmodules' using a file manager or adb. If you don't know how to do it, we can help. With these files we should be able to create a working ROM for 827/8027.

dachabre

Oct 8, 2011
Yes, this should work! Do you know how to do this, dachabre? Simply copy the files from '/system/utmodules' using a file manager or adb. If you don't know how to do it, we can help. With these files we should be able to create a working ROM for 827/8027.

This should be easy... I will try to do it and i will send it to you....