Need help with a MPMAN 827, replica of a Coby Kyros MID 8027

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Thank you for all your help. I hadn't noticed all the replies in this thread.

I tried an Evolution ROM for the herotab, which seemed like having similar specs, and hard bricked the tablet. It does not turn on now, only lights up the soft keys light and then shuts of after a few seconds.

Been trying to follow this procedure but with no luck http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/23007-project-reviving-hard-bricked-kyros-7.html

N
ow, finally, I have the original 8027 firmware but am obliged not to provide it to anyone else... there were the conditions. It is not doing me any good 'cos I hard bricked the thing.

I think I'll send to repair. I reached a dead end.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
@dachabre: If you can, I am interested on those modules as well... Is your tablet running Android 2.2 or 2.3?

@sampneves: too bad... it doesn´t apply the resurrection firmware when you short pins 7 & 8? You have to do this first, in order to revive the tablet first (fix its NAND or write a bootable u-boot to internal SD), then re-aply OFW.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
@dachabre: If you can, I am interested on those modules as well... Is your tablet running Android 2.2 or 2.3?

@sampneves: too bad... it doesn´t apply the resurrection firmware when you short pins 7 & 8? You have to do this first, in order to revive the tablet first (fix its NAND or write a bootable u-boot to internal SD), then re-aply OFW.

It does not ressurect when I short pins 7&8

What do you mean by " or write a bootable u-boot to internal SD"?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
It does not ressurect when I short pins 7&8

What do you mean by " or write a bootable u-boot to internal SD"?

So your tablet doesn't turn on anymore, even if you short NAND pins 7 & 8?

I meant that the resurrection firmware (the one for Herotab) does its magic by writing a working u-boot (the generic boot system used in Android) in either the NAND (if your tablet has one) or the internal SD. The main problem for Kyros users is that the official firmware comes with only a u-boot for NAND, so if your NAND is fried you can't create a bootable SD (well, you can using Herotab's firmware, but probably it won't work 100% with Kyros hardware), that's why you need a hybrid firmware to get a solution for other tablets with capacitive screens, for instance.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Let me explain. Things have changed.

I have - now - the official firmware for the MID 8027, which is the tablet I have.

I have been following this procedure:

"For this you will first need this firmware: http://www.mediafire...6bvjqp4a3rkgpr3 (only use this one through the recovery process)
Firmware mirror: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
HP flash format tool: http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=197
Winimage: http://www.winimage....ad/winima85.exe (30 day trial works fine)

1. Take your external SD card out and only your EXTERNAL SD card (not the internal at no point will we take the internal card out).
2. Formatted (FAT32) it using HP flash format tool (DO NOT USE QUICK FOTMAT)
3. Use winimage tool in following way: from winimage menu "Disk->Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive..." select the microsd card (corresponding device), then pick file "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" you also need to set it to look for all file types as .mm isn't a default file type. This file is located in the firmware downloaded earlier.
4. remove and insert microsd (still using the external card just unplug and plug back in) windows will tell you that "You should format your drive before use" but don't do this, go to step 5.
5. formatting new partition: Do this in storage management (Control pannel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk management) Format the largest partition of raw data into FAT32 and ignore any unallocated space."

I did this combined with shorting the 7&8 pints for a while. Nothing happened.

I then did this:

1. Format the external sd.
2. Use winimage tool in following way: from winimage menu "Disk->Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive..." select the microsd card (corresponding device), then pick file "INand_mm_sd_mbr.vhd" from the original firmware.
3. Format the sd to FAT32 and copy all files of the original firmware to it.
4. While shorting the 7&8 pins, with the external sd inserted, press volume up + power buttons.

Nothing happened, i.e. soft keys light went on for few seconds and then it turned off.

I then followed only points 1 and 2 above (just above, not the first of all), and then 4, skipping 3.

Eureka. The tablet display went on to the blank screen. Removed the screwdriver from the pins, released the tablet buttons, and it remained on.

Did not had the firmware on the external sd, as I skipped point 3.

Took out the sd, followed point 3, inserted the sd back, tried different hard and soft keys combinations and nothing happened.

Tried this procedure both with the internal sd card inserted and not.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
I have tried this:

1. I did the first 1 to 4 points of my post, the ones that use the herotab firmaware.
2. Then, I formatted one partion of the external sd card, which was not recognized by Windows. I use it in Ubuntu, where I had previously stored the herotab firmware, and was able to copy the firmware to the sd card.

Shorted 7&8 pins with the external sd inserted, and the internal sd removed. Screen on ok.

More, I got to this screen shown on the pictures, but then, nothing happened. Removed the sd, formatted into a normal FAT32, copied the official firmware for my Coby Kyros, inserted it, tried volume up only, volume up plus power... nothing... in one of those tries, pressed a little for too much time and the tablet shutted down.

$Lisboa-20111011-00017.jpg$Lisboa-20111011-00018.jpg

What should I do if I get that screen again?

Ah... powering up the tablet again, it's in the same condition. I will need to short pins 7&8 again and repeat the all procedure.

Tanx

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I don't think you did anything wrong... It's just a matter of short-circuiting pins 7 & 8, as it seems that you have broken a solder.

You also have to copy the (official) firmware files to the FAT32 partition of the external microSD or nothing will be flashed when the unit turns on... Do it, leave the card in the slot and ask someone to help you out: tell him to keep both power and home button pressed while you try to short-circuit the two NAND pins with a small needle. If it turned on once, I think it's still alive. If it doesn't turn one anymore, then maybe it's really dead.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I have tried this:

1. I did the first 1 to 4 points of my post, the ones that use the herotab firmaware.
2. Then, I formatted one partion of the external sd card, which was not recognized by Windows. I use it in Ubuntu, where I had previously stored the herotab firmware, and was able to copy the firmware to the sd card.

Shorted 7&8 pins with the external sd inserted, and the internal sd removed. Screen on ok.

More, I got to this screen shown on the pictures, but then, nothing happened. Removed the sd, formatted into a normal FAT32, copied the official firmware for my Coby Kyros, inserted it, tried volume up only, volume up plus power... nothing... in one of those tries, pressed a little for too much time and the tablet shutted down.

View attachment 4251View attachment 4252

What should I do if I get that screen again?

Ah... powering up the tablet again, it's in the same condition. I will need to short pins 7&8 again and repeat the all procedure.

Tanx

You are almost there! You must copy the firmware files to the FAT32 partition you have created in the previous procedures!!!

Don't copy the ZIP/RAR/ETC file, uncompress it first. You must see a file "utscript" at the root folder of the microSD!!!

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
You are almost there! You must copy the firmware files to the FAT32 partition you have created in the previous procedures!!!

Don't copy the ZIP/RAR/ETC file, uncompress it first. You must see a file "utscript" at the root folder of the microSD!!!

Thank you guys.

I think there's something wrong with the way I am setting up the sd card.

When I use winimage to recover with the old herotab firmware boot file I cannot access the sd to put all the others firmware files in it i.e. I don't have a FAT32 partition.

Could you describe how you did it?

If I format the sd after using winimage and copy the firmware files to it then the procedure of short pins 7&8 will not work.

Should I use Ubuntu to find the right partitions after using winimage?

I have been using also the minitool software mentioned here:

[Guide] Reviving your tablet in windows. - SlateDroid.com - Page 3

"After many, many attempts at recovery, I thought I would share my experience if it helps anyone. My tablet was fully bricked - no lights when the on button was pressed, nothing.

I tried the Windows recovery method on a Windows 7 machine. Didn't work at all. WinImage did not appear to write any partitions and upgrade firmware put on partitions created by Windows 7 were not able to upgrade even working tablets.

Next, I went to the Linux method. I used Fedora 15 and it created 5 partitions on a 2GB card - 33.21MB unallocated, 103.32MB in Linux format, 501.83MB in Linux format, 202.95MB in Linux format, 3.1GB unknown format. I formatted the 3.1GB partition to Fat32 and copied the recovery firmware from this thread to it. However, it didn't work for me - upgrade system came up on screen and then the tablet went dead.

So, after having a go with various random firmware, for me the Paradise version 1 firmware allowed me to recover the tablet pc.

Here is my suggested upgrade methods if you use a windows system. Windows 7 users will probably need to do this in XP mode.
1) Use Minitool partition wizard to delete all partitions and wipe the unallocated space with fill with zeros option. If you do not have Minitool you can use windows to format.
2) In HxD, open u-boot-sd.bin and open disk (memory card) simultaneously (uncheck the read only option when opening the memory card). Select all on u-boot-sd.bin and copy; paste write into the memory card and save.
3) Format the 3.1GB partition in System Management as described in the main tutorial. I formatted the partition with Minitool but could not view the partition in Windows 7. Fedora 15 could see it no problem. If you format the partition through System Management in XP it may work ok.
4) Follow the rest of the original tutorial.
5) If it doesn't work, try it with the Paradise firmware before you go opening the device.

Hope this helps some of you. "

I really think the problem is with the sd.

BTW I am being able to short 7&8 pins. The solder is only twisted. If it will prevent me from writing to the NAND memory... I don't know, we'll see.

Thank you for keeping helping me. I also feel I'm almost there. :)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Samp, you keep changing things, this doesn't help...

Stick with the first procedure... You write "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" to the external microSD card (after full formatting it to make sure it's clean) using whatever tool you want. Then eject and re-insert the card in your computer, you should see a big unformatted partition in the card, this is the one you should format in FAT32 and copy the firmware files to.

Good luck!

Last edited:

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
:)

Sorry.

I will try again. I may be wrong, but when I follow the procedure you reccomend it seems that the u-boot file disappears or does not boot the tablet. Only when I write the file and do not format the rest to FAT32 it works.

I will try again tonight and come back to you. Many thanks.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I will try again. I may be wrong, but when I follow the procedure you reccomend it seems that the u-boot file disappears or does not boot the tablet. Only when I write the file and do not format the rest to FAT32 it works.

You must format only the bigger partition after you write u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm and re-insert the disk. Do not format the whole card!

Also, check the original threads, IIRIC it seems that you cannot format the partition in Win7, probably because it also writes something in the boot block, breaking u-boot. I am not sure, you may need to use another computer to create the resurrection microSD.

Last but not least, if even if you do this it doesn´t work then maybe your NAND is gone. You will have to create a hybrid firmware, using u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm and utscript_sd to copy MID8027 firmware files to the SD (if it's like Coby's firmware then it doesn't have support to flash SD, only NAND).

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
@Ifom:

MPMAN MP827 4GB (Internet tablet*MP827 - INTERNET TABLETS - mpman)

Model Number: MID8027
Android version: 2.2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9
MID Serials #1632 Mon May 16 17:08:04 CST 2011 nand

Build number: MID Serials 2.2 FRF91 20110628.191834

"system/utmodules" folder:
File name: utmodulesMP827.rar File size: 19.12 KB

If you need anything else - ask :)

So MID8027 also uses Goodix drivers. Some sites say it runs Gingerbread. If anyone has one with Gingerbread, I need the UTMODULES, pleas. Thanks.

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
Thank you guys.

I think there's something wrong with the way I am setting up the sd card.

Here is my suggested upgrade methods if you use a windows system. Windows 7 users will probably need to do this in XP mode.
1) Use Minitool partition wizard to delete all partitions and wipe the unallocated space with fill with zeros option. If you do not have Minitool you can use windows to format.
2) In HxD, open u-boot-sd.bin and open disk (memory card) simultaneously (uncheck the read only option when opening the memory card). Select all on u-boot-sd.bin and copy; paste write into the memory card and save.
3) Format the 3.1GB partition in System Management as described in the main tutorial. I formatted the partition with Minitool but could not view the partition in Windows 7. Fedora 15 could see it no problem. If you format the partition through System Management in XP it may work ok.
4) Follow the rest of the original tutorial.
5) If it doesn't work, try it with the Paradise firmware before you go opening the device.

Hope this helps some of you. "

I really think the problem is with the sd.

BTW I am being able to short 7&8 pins. The solder is only twisted. If it will prevent me from writing to the NAND memory... I don't know, we'll see.

Thank you for keeping helping me. I also feel I'm almost there. :)
Make sure when using the mini partition tool that you are making your sdcard a primary partition thats probably why windows can't see it.