Need new ideas for Coby 7022 that I can't root again

Blackoak

May 25, 2012
I've been scouring this site and others for the last few days, and still have not been able root my Coby Kyros 7022 again, now that I have ICS on it. I'll explain what I've done to the Kyros briefly and can give more details if needed.

1. After just getting the tablet, successfully installed Clockworkmod recovery and Superuser (I don't know if I can link the site here so I won't).
2. Made a backup of my system.
2. Went to the Coby German website and installed ICS update. (I really wish I would have used the zip file listed here on this site using CWM recovery).

ICS works fine, but now I cannot get root again. I have tried placing the CWM recovery update.zip file on my Micro SD card, but when I try to system update, it only ever displays "You're system is up to date" message. I think the tablet might be confused as to where the SD card is. Before installing ICS, there was a "tflash" folder where the SD card was mounted, but now that folder is gone, and there is a "flash" folder instead.

When I try to reboot into recover (holding the power button and back), I can only make it to a screen with an android robot with his chest plate open and a red exclamation point in a trinagle. I can't tell if this screen is normal, or signifies the tablet is jacked up, but I can't press any button to get beyond this screen. All I can do is reset the tablet.

I can access my tablet using adb when it's up and running. But, I don't have root and can't use su or do much useful.

I have tried repeatedly to boot into fastboot (holding power and the home button), and the normal blue text appears on screen. However, when I try to use adb or fastboot from the command prompt on my PC, it can never detect any devices. Can you normally use adb at this point, or just the fastboot command?

At this point, I'd like to just get my tablet back to my backup (or any stock rom), and I'd appreciate any new ideas I can check out. Thank you!

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I've been scouring this site and others for the last few days, and still have not been able root my Coby Kyros 7022 again, now that I have ICS on it. I'll explain what I've done to the Kyros briefly and can give more details if needed.

1. After just getting the tablet, successfully installed Clockworkmod recovery and Superuser (I don't know if I can link the site here so I won't).
2. Made a backup of my system.
2. Went to the Coby German website and installed ICS update. (I really wish I would have used the zip file listed here on this site using CWM recovery).

ICS works fine, but now I cannot get root again. I have tried placing the CWM recovery update.zip file on my Micro SD card, but when I try to system update, it only ever displays "You're system is up to date" message. I think the tablet might be confused as to where the SD card is. Before installing ICS, there was a "tflash" folder where the SD card was mounted, but now that folder is gone, and there is a "flash" folder instead.

When I try to reboot into recover (holding the power button and back), I can only make it to a screen with an android robot with his chest plate open and a red exclamation point in a trinagle. I can't tell if this screen is normal, or signifies the tablet is jacked up, but I can't press any button to get beyond this screen. All I can do is reset the tablet.

I can access my tablet using adb when it's up and running. But, I don't have root and can't use su or do much useful.

I have tried repeatedly to boot into fastboot (holding power and the home button), and the normal blue text appears on screen. However, when I try to use adb or fastboot from the command prompt on my PC, it can never detect any devices. Can you normally use adb at this point, or just the fastboot command?

At this point, I'd like to just get my tablet back to my backup (or any stock rom), and I'd appreciate any new ideas I can check out. Thank you!

I also had that same issue. I fixed it by installing the recovery from fastboot but this only allows you to access cwm once, so after I entered the cwm I installed cwm zip so the recovery would be permenent. To access fastboot hold menu not home button that takes you to fwdn. To get root access go to androidsu.com/superuser and download the zip for ics. Hope this helps

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk 2

Blackoak

May 25, 2012
Woo hoo, I'm rooted! I had stayed up two nights in a row and didn't realize I hard started booting into fwdn. Many thanks to you.