Need opinion on ARCHOS 10.1

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Will be first tablet. Am older gal, only experience with Android is with my T-Mo G2 cell. Will use tablet mostly for Googling, radio, calendar, texting, email, & some apps. Don't play games or watch movies (might....once I get it, tho). Looking to stay around $250.

Wondering if this is good brand & model? Just to clarify, this is not the newer G9 model :( and has 8GB.

I won't be upgrading to new tablet for long time, so should I be concerned that OS is only 2.2?

Also, don't know a lot about this, but am I right in thinking since both tablet & cell are Bluetooth compatible, I can just use that since tablet is only wifi? This is called tethering, right?

I don't know a whole lot. Many of what y'all talk about on here is WAYYY over my head :confused: so go easy on me, eh?

Am open to other brands up to $300 - but want to buy from store, not online electronic co. so in case I have issues with it right away, I don't have to mail it back somewhere.

Thanks !!

SAMTHEMAN888

Jul 26, 2011
A 7in tablet might be good because you not doing games / movies but I would try to get one will honeycomb 3.2, much better speed and user expereince. Also I would suggest one with a dual core processer and 1gb of ram, this will give you a nice fast browser speed. And if its more in the $300
Range I think you'll find it well worth the extra coin. Try the Samsung galxcy tabs

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks sam. When you say get one with 1 gb of ram -- were you saying to get AT LEAST 1GB? I'm confused since I'd said the ARCHOS had 8GB (which means it has more, right?)

What's difference between NVIDIA® Tegra™2 processor & Dual Core 1.2 Ghz processor. Have been doing some side by side comparisons on vendor site and notice that.

Also, you'll see in another post I really want the larger display due to my eyes, so.....

This may be dumb question but I know with phones, the OS's can be upgraded by the provider. Can tablets be upgraded, too? Like if I bought something with 3.1 -- can I upgrade it to 3.2?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I am an owner of the 101/16. Been using it since Nov 2010. You can find the 101/16 on sale at Archos.com ($250) and other sites for same price as 101/8.I have posted the strengths and weakness recently in another post so just search against my posts and you will find it, but here is a summary

Strengths: Weight, Built-in superior player with Equalizer and balance, Can run all the Angry Birds without issue and every other app I have thrown against it. USB Host, Mini-HDMI, FW support from Archos and Flash and Market capability with a manual install and the "market fix. I get about 5-6 hours battery still 1 yr later.

Weaknesses: Case Flexes due to light weight-needs to be strengthened with a Skin or Case. Screen can be a bit dim. Only Froyo 2.2.1, Functionally a one year old technology. So-So call-in support

So have I been happy for past year-Yes, Would I get one for about 199-225 Sure. It is still the best deal for a support 10" screen. and it is lighter than many 7" units.

Archos has ha s a good record for Firmware updates. But, not the best for Version updates. This will likely remain 2.2.1 as the G9 is now out. The latest FW was just release and supports USB Ethernet sticks and the Archos 3G USB stick.