Need to buy 5 tablets

Skitzo

Nov 27, 2011
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone out there could make a suggestion....I need to buy 5 tablets for my sales reps to use during trade shows. I want to be able to plug a USB jump drive into it and they need to be able to be plugged into an LCD projector. We also would like them to have true gps not just assisted-gps - so the sales guys can hook onto a satellite from places with dodgy cell service. Infact we don't want to subscribe to any monthly packages (if possible).

Today I looked at the toshiba. It was nice but no volume to speak of. It would not change perspective when I turned it (yes I checked the settings). The screen was not as sharp or as bright as the Xoom but it has a full sized USB, a 32 gig sd card slot, full sized hdmi output. It also didnt feel as durable as the xoom. The xoom or acer didn't have the ports or the file server feature the toshiba does. However I do believe the xoom has the expandable SD card.

Are there any other tablets out there with the full sized ports? I know the sales guys will lose the adaptors. I'd also like try geocaching on one of them (in the city). Any suggestions? We need to show PowerPoint and general business with the true gps

Last edited:

Skitzo

Nov 27, 2011
Hello? Anyone there?

I was told that not all android apps play on all android tablets? Is this true? Some are proprietary?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Skitzo, you are asking a lot from a tablet. Start with the full size USB and that will narrow your selections considerably. When combined with the other features you are looking for (full size HDMI very rare) there are maybe one or two tablets that fit your requirements. Tablets are not laptops and therefore don't have full feature sets or full size ports. If those are must have items and it has to be a tablet you should be able to narrow it down very quickly.

As far as the apps not working on all devices that can be true. It is more the fault of developers (failure to make apps tablet compatible for example) and a poorly implemented device check built into the Market by Google than any real issue with the devices. For the most part all Android apps should work on all devices. That isn't to say that you won't get a notification about lack of compatibility but this can either be corrected by an update from the app developer or by mucking in the settings files to make sure the Android Market sees your device since the Market will tell you your device isn't compatible but the app will run fine anyway.