Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

* The Netflix app runs on these phones:
1. HTC Incredible with Android 2.2
2. HTC Nexus One with Android 2.2, 2.3
3. HTC Evo 4G with Android 2.2
4. HTC G2 with Android 2.2
5. Samsung Nexus S with Android 2.3.

So why not every Android device? De explains:

“The Android platform is gaining rapid adoption in the mobile world and presents a great opportunity to reach more of our members. Because the platform has evolved so rapidly, there are some significant challenges associated with developing a streaming video application for this ecosystem. One of these challenges is the lack of standard streaming playback features that the Netflix application can use to gain broad penetration across all available Android phones. In the absence of standardization, we have to test each individual handset and launch only on those that can support playback. We are aggressively qualifying phones and look forward to expanding the list of phones on which the Netflix app will be supported. We anticipate that many of these technical challenges will be resolved in the coming months and that we will be able to provide a Netflix application that will work on a large majority of Android phones.”

NC is not listed for any Tablets - or any tablets for that matter. is this something the Developers will be able to tweak into CM7 - or onto other devices that are not listed on their short list.

Last edited:

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
The new app works well on my EVO (as advertised), but I, too, am interested in knowing whether the NC dev dudes will be able to make this work in a ROM.

Legobricke

Mar 21, 2011
Works great on my HTC Incredible...

It allowed me to download to the Nook, and it runs until you get the "This device is unsupported",,,,

Bummer!

Lego

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Took this tech Dummie less than 5 minutes to get this up and RUNNING... SWEET... Sitting Poolside watching a Movie.. now tell me life isn't FINE....

All my little NC needs to do to make me totally happy is Make My Coffee Each Morning.. otherwise .. She is a sweet Girl.!

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I have not tried this on my NC yet, but plan on trying it as soon as I can:

[ROOT] How to edit your build.prop to make Netflix work on unsupported devices : Android

This is exactly what the video I posted covers. It works perfectly.

HINT: When Netflix slows down and doesn't display an image (just audio), fire up your task killer and smoke everything. And for those not on unlimited internet, get a bandwidth monitor. I'm on AT&T, and it went to a 150gb cap last week. I watched 3 movies over the weekend and it burned 2gb. Now add to that fact that we have another NC, a desktop system and a laptop, plus my phone......... It adds up quickly. We're looking at Comcast now because they have a 250gb cap...

anarchetype

Apr 10, 2011
Oh man, this is tempting. Also tempting is PlayOn, though I discovered today (in the fine print) that you still have to pay for Netflix and Amazon services. I don't want to pay money for things I can already stream for free, especially now that the last 2 Flash updates have allowed me to watch Adult Swim on my NC.

At any rate, any other firsthand accounts of the Netflix app on Nook?

Edit: I couldn't wait, so I got a free trial of Netflix, backed up my system, and edited build.prop. So far everything works beautifully. I tried an episode of Whitest Kids You Know and a/v quality is as smooth as I hoped. Headphones may be necessary, but I guess that is to be expected with the NC. I have no complaints. (Well, aside from Netflix's awful lack of HBO, Showtime, and AMC shows, etc.)

Easy process with lovely results. Definitely works with CM7.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
This is exactly what the video I posted covers. It works perfectly.

HINT: When Netflix slows down and doesn't display an image (just audio), fire up your task killer and smoke everything. And for those not on unlimited internet, get a bandwidth monitor. I'm on AT&T, and it went to a 150gb cap last week. I watched 3 movies over the weekend and it burned 2gb. Now add to that fact that we have another NC, a desktop system and a laptop, plus my phone......... It adds up quickly. We're looking at Comcast now because they have a 250gb cap...

Used my task killer before launching Netflix and it plays nice and smooth. Cool part is I still have 1.1.0 on EMMC. I booted off a microSD running dual boot CM7/Honeycomb. Loaded Netflix on CM7 and it plays well. Wasn't sure running off the microSD card would work but it does.

As for AT&Ts DSL data cap. I called AT&T about it last week and the support guy knew nothing about it. I had to explain it to him! He put me on hold for 10 minutes and finally came back with a small blurb from their web site. Nice training. From what he said I should have about 2.5 months to find a new provider. I am a regular Netflix/Roku user so 150 GB isn't going to cut it.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
ever since i got Netflix working i haven't touched my playon - only use it occasionally for Hulu - instead, Netflix in combination with TVShow Stream makes me a very happy camper

Oh man, this is tempting. Also tempting is PlayOn, though I discovered today (in the fine print) that you still have to pay for Netflix and Amazon services. I don't want to pay money for things I can already stream for free, especially now that the last 2 Flash updates have allowed me to watch Adult Swim on my NC.

At any rate, any other firsthand accounts of the Netflix app on Nook?

Edit: I couldn't wait, so I got a free trial of Netflix, backed up my system, and edited build.prop. So far everything works beautifully. I tried an episode of Whitest Kids You Know and a/v quality is as smooth as I hoped. Headphones may be necessary, but I guess that is to be expected with the NC. I have no complaints. (Well, aside from Netflix's awful lack of HBO, Showtime, and AMC shows, etc.)

Easy process with lovely results. Definitely works with CM7.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

anarchetype

Apr 10, 2011
Strangely, though the app worked fine for me before, I'm now getting stuck on a black screen. Pressing pause and then play or moving the slider causes the video to terminate altogether. I even deleted the app and installed the XDA apk that is supposed to disable device checking, but I'm still getting the same problem. It's not a huge deal since I'm far more likely to use Netflix on my Wii, but it would be nice to have this working again.

I'm also finding that I can no longer save changes to build.prop. My idea was to change the model and manufacturer again, but there's an error whenever I try to save. I'm guessing this isn't related. Weird.

Edit: Of course, the fix was a simple reboot. It did seem to free up resources that even a task killer couldn't help with, so maybe that's the reason.

Last edited:

jpscaccia

May 27, 2011
Got Netflix app from the market on Nook color running Phiremod 6.2 .Picture quality excellent.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk