Netflix now works on all Android 2.x devices

bst82551

Jun 4, 2011
-pulled from Lifehacker.com

The new netflix works on my rooted MID7024. I am pretty sure it will work just fine on unrooted devices as well.

sparky204

Aug 16, 2011
jeeze did not notice this thread. I just made one earlier. OH well keep the mods busy.

On a side note It only works for americans or american IP addys.

Sucks for me in canada.

Pablocr

Jul 3, 2011
Netflix just opened up in Costa Rica I can download and Install the app BUT every time I tri to start streaming i get a meesage that says that my devices needs to be updated.
I have a samsung captivate running 2.3.4 and I get the same message.
Has anyone seen this before?
Can anyone confirm that the official netflix app is actually working on a non supported device?

rhea

Aug 18, 2011
This Netflix does not work on my 8024 with stock firmware. It showed up in the Market and downloaded/installed. I ran a total factory reset just to be sure I'd cleared the XDA version before trying it. This 1.4 version started to open the play screen--it showed for about 2 seconds, then went back to the browse screen. I have the XDA version back on and working. I was hoping that this would get rid of the "update" message. As I read somewhere, a Netflix CS agent claimed that it only works on Froyo and Gingerbread phones--not devices as listed. This version doesn't work on my non-rooted Toshiba Thrive either, but that's Honeycomb.

rhea

Aug 18, 2011
@pablocr,
Does it work--stream--if you just hit the "cancel" when you get that message? The point Netflix was trying to make (although incorrect) is that this is supposed to work on ALL 2.2/2.3 devices.

Pablocr

Jul 3, 2011
@pablocr,
Does it work--stream--if you just hit the "cancel" when you get that message? The point Netflix was trying to make (although incorrect) is that this is supposed to work on ALL 2.2/2.3 devices.

It doesn't work, It just goes back to the movie browsing screen.

sparky204

Aug 16, 2011
ive tried the updated version on xda forums. I have downloaded the official version of it from the market now.

I have tried everything I can to get it working and nothing. The best I can get so far is access to my account, browsing through movies etc. I can not get the actual movies to play. It goes to the loading screen then backs out back to the selection screen.

I beleive that this app only works for american netflix subscriptions. After checking through my account it shows that the canadian netflix is not available for phones/tablets yet. They claim to be working on releasing it soon but time will tell. The only work around I can think of is creating an american netflix account and using a proxy service to appear from an american IP.

m3nd1n0

Aug 20, 2011
On my 7022, Netflix is working. My only gripe is the quality of the video streams. Even though internet bandwidth is not an issue, the video streams are pixilated/grainy. I have a Sony TV with the built in Netflix app and it works just fine even streaming HD movies. Can someone else confirm this observation?

bst82551

Jun 4, 2011
Netflix looks great on my rooted 7024. I can't tell the difference between the xda version (which I used to use) and the version I got from the market. I'm not sure if Netflix uses flash. I don't think it does, but maybe try getting the newest version of flash from the market and see if it makes any difference.

I will say that the stream quality is terrible if your wifi signal is terrible. The wifi card in the 7024 is not very good, but it works fine for my purposes as long as I'm within about 10 yards (30 ft) of the wireless router.

m3nd1n0

Aug 20, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. I am already on version 10.3 Flash version I believe. Last night, I got a notification for a newer version of Netflix so I downloaded it hoping it will make a difference. It did not unfortunately. I have also tried standing right by my wifi router to no avail. If all else fails, I will root the device,

Strangely, I can use ES File Explorer to navigate to my network storage device and stream videos with better results. I will continue to investigate the Netflix issue.

nicholasa

Sep 7, 2011
I had Netflix working on my 7022 before this update, but yeah the quality isn't the best on my 7022, which is rooted. My wifi signal is good I'm only like 15ft away from my router, I compared on my iPad and my 3GS and their quality is excellent it's just my android device that's pixelated, not all the time but most of the time.