Netflix on S7

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
Hello,

A new version (there are differences from the previously leaked one) of the Netflix APK has been officially released in the market for SOME phones. XDA Developers have also released a version of their own.

I gave it a shot loading the XDA version (I can't get the Market one) on the Huawei IDEOS S7 running the Indonesian 2.2.2 ROM Rooted.

The apk installs fine, you can log in fine, there are NO ERRORS about your "phone" not being supported (which is very common based on forum readings - my android phone gives that error).

When you click a movie to play, the movie player opens, title of the movie and progress bar appear at the bottom and you can hear about 1 second of sound.

All seems good, BUT then after that 1 second of sound, the player abruptly stops and goes back to the netflix menus.

After I installed the app, a Adobe Flash 10.3 update just happened to appear, which had not shown previously, so I updated that, but still no luck. Rebooted several times, battery pull, with and without T-Mobile SIM installed. No luck.

Any ideas? We seem REALLY close to having this work. The device even shows as registered on my netflix account.

HELP!

elf310

Jan 10, 2011
Try this worked on my gtab, but i side loaded netflix from my nexus one

1.) Download the Root Explorer application or equivalent. (Root Explorer is a paid app, but it’s one of the best, so it may be worth it to you)

2.) Open Root Explorer and go into the System folder

3.) Once there, hit the Mount R/W button at the top right

4.) Hold down on the Build.prop file and open it in the text editor

5.) Change the following lines to look like the HTC build.prop

Here are the changes in text format:

ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.brand=tmobile
ro.product.name=vision
ro.product.device=vision
ro.product.board=vision

ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys

6.) Hit menu, and Save & Exit. You should be told that the original build.prop was saved as build.prop.bak.

7.) Reboot the phone.

8.) Download and install the Netflix application, log in, and you should be good to go.

This makes your tab look like a tmobile G2 to netflix

gonna have to steal my s7 back from my son to try it on that

Last edited:

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
Attempted this with no change/no success. I am pretty sure I followed these directions perfectly.

Other ideas anyone?

Try this worked on my gtab, but i side loaded netflix from my nexus one

1.) Download the Root Explorer application or equivalent. (Root Explorer is a paid app, but it’s one of the best, so it may be worth it to you)

2.) Open Root Explorer and go into the System folder

3.) Once there, hit the Mount R/W button at the top right

4.) Hold down on the Build.prop file and open it in the text editor

5.) Change the following lines to look like the HTC build.prop

Here are the changes in text format:

ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.brand=tmobile
ro.product.name=vision
ro.product.device=vision
ro.product.board=vision

ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys

6.) Hit menu, and Save & Exit. You should be told that the original build.prop was saved as build.prop.bak.

7.) Reboot the phone.

8.) Download and install the Netflix application, log in, and you should be good to go.

This makes your tab look like a tmobile G2 to netflix

gonna have to steal my s7 back from my son to try it on that

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
Attempted this with no change/no success. I am pretty sure I followed these directions perfectly.

Other ideas anyone?

I also tried the build.prop technique with the Nexus S settings I found on the net. It did not work either.

We are so close! Anyone have success any other way yet?

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
Iam using a Huawei Ideos S7 (S7-105) with the Indonesian 2.2.2 ROM, and iam living in the Netherlands ...

Thanks! So you're able to stream Netflix movies?

Is Netflix in the Netherlands? Do you stream via a US proxy?

I have tried many different mods to stream on the S7 and it just won't work.

Any other ideas out there?

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
Is anyone else able to stream Netflix? I just get the queue working and when I try to stream a movie, the loading screen starts and then it kicks me back to the queue. I have tried a few different .apk's. The one currently installed gives me an error instead of kicking back to the queue. The error is:

Sorry we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. If the problems persists please visit netflix.com.(1005)

Any one gotten further?

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
Nope, that's what my BB S7 does, also. I have indonesian 2.2.2, rooted with SOC. It would sure be nice to be able to bypass playon!

Sent from my IDEOS S7 using Android Tablet Forum

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I have tried all the version that I could find. I was doing the same thing on my droidX as the rom I was on would not run it either. I moved to the newest stock Gingerbread leak and it works great on my X. Just wish there was a version out there that we could get to work on the S7.

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
I haven't had a chance to upgrade to 2.2 yet (I have 2.1 on the Best Buy version). I have gotten the xda "device check disabled" version to run on my mid-range Moto Milestone phone (and from looking at various apps, the S7 is more powerful than my Milestone).

Have any of you done a logcat on the S7 to see if there are errors being logged there?