Netflix Question : "You Don't have a Fast enough internet..."

Cactusgod

Jan 4, 2012
Sorry for asking another question, but I just had a new incident I have not experienced before on my MID8120 (Since i've only had the tablet for about 7 hours ;p)

I have been putting it into sleep mode on and off throughout the day with no issue and have used Netflix once or twice just for testing without any issue at the same house. However, just recently, I got an interesting error " "you dont have a fast enough internet connection. please connect using wifi or at least 3g" Well..naturally I'm using Wi-Fi. My wi-fi speeds are fine..I even ran a speed test and got close to 5mb download from 3 floors up from the router. Unfortunately, the battery just died. I plugged it in and turned it on just to test one quick theory, which was "maybe it needed a shutdown to fix" Voila..it did. I'm curious..what do you Kryos pros think? Do you think this might have something to do with the

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...fi-speed-problems-coby-7022-a.html#post109329

problem that many people had? They seemed to be getting terrible speeds running speed test though and it wasnt the case for me. A hard reset DID fix the issue though. I suppose it could also be an app problem and I might want to reinstall, but i dunno. Im using the netflix app that daprospecta posted on his youtube video.

Any speculation would be grateful, though I realize the only way to be sure is if that problem crops up again. I unplugged it again and let it die, plugged it back in and im gonna leave it for at least 14 hours. (As a side note, was it awful to do that? I'm SO battery superstitious i drive myself insane)

Thanks for any comments.
Cactus

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Yes, most probably. Does 8120 runs Android 2.3 as 7022? If yes, then more probable yet... Telechips based Android have a known bug that will limit WiFi speed after coming back from suspend mode.

Cactusgod

Jan 4, 2012
Ah yes it does, thanks for the info. Im assuming thats probably what it must have been.

Ifrom, you seem to know a good bit about Tablets, if you wouldn't mind posting in my other thread about Kyros Battery Life I would greatly appreciate it.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
The link you added to the first post has info about the bug. If you keep WiFi always on (set "WiFi sleep policy" to "never") then it will prevent the bug, but it will decrease battery autonomy, of course. Not sure if disabling WiFi or enabling Airplane mode before putting the tablet to sleep will help or not.

Not sure about what you want to know about battery life. A few things:
- if tablet is new, charge it for a long time (around 8h) at least once
- if battery seems to go out too quickly, fully charge it then use it until it will shut down then leave it overnight or try to turn it on until it won't start anymore then fully charge it again. You may need to do it a few times to "recalibrate" battery so it will show the correct remaining time
- never store the table for long periods (weeks or months) with the battery completely depleted
- avoid heat and use the provided power supply (or one with the exact same specs)

Cactusgod

Jan 4, 2012
Thanks a bunch for the reply. The tablet is indeed new, I got it yesterday. I didnt let it charge overnight the first time I used it, which might be the issue, but I did charge it to 98%. I was just too anxious to try it x_x. The battery life on this thing seems to be GREAT. I charged it overnight for 12 hours and the indicator immediately says like 90-80% when I start, but I watched THREE hours of netflix with wifi enabled and am still using it without having to charge it yet. In fact, I still havent dipped below the 30%. The problem, of course, is that the 30-35% lingers for hours and hours, so the indicator is whats the problem, no doubt. Another user suggested I root the tablet and use a calibration or delete the batterystats bin. I'm terrified of the idea of rooting because i havent done anything like that before since this is my first android device. The indicator is infinitely annoying though I'm sure I could get used to it.

Are you saying that if I let it stay dead over night and then charge it fully, thats the key to perhaps better recalibration? I heard that it wasnt good to let a battery stay dead. Im so confused about battery life.

Thanks for all the assistance

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Not completely dead: you will use it until it turns off, then wait like 8-12h to charge it again so the battery is really fully discharged when you start charging it again. It's needed because even if it says it has 1-2% battery it may have more, then you leave it resting overnight to actually fully discharge it to the next charge.

Last edited: